2022 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
No posts in 10 days. Is it all over, nothing left but feeders? I might go back to the cabin first week of October; I take it salmon is a dead horse by then?
I just caught up on my fishing journal today and the last migratory fish I got was at Sangster on Aug 16. Tried Epsom and Thormanby areas at on Aug 19, 21, 23, and 24 with no keepers or migratory fish. Lots of feeders around but only one that was 62+cms. Heard about folks getting migratory fish still in deeper waters but didn't get any myself since Aug 16.

Ran the boat back to Vancouver for the end of the season on Aug 26. Hope the info above helps.

I'll be out this weekend for a few tacks. Will try Epsom and if slow, will take a few laps right out front of Secret Cove. I've caught some nice late-season fish at both spots. There are still some hefty whites passing through, so it's certainly possible to land a keeper if you put in the time.

Had the Squamish boat out to T-10 and Sandheads for 2 days last weekend and the fishing was outstanding.

Anyone been out over Sangster way of late?

No posts in 10 days. Is it all over, nothing left but feeders? I might go back to the cabin first week of October; I take it salmon is a dead horse by then?
Don't give up just yet, not my fish but saw 2 nice photos of large high teens Monday caught off Texada. I waited out the wind, did Epsom Monday 2 boxed 63, 64. Some Hos' but all giving me the fin. Good luck when you go.

Ah jeez now I have to decide whether or not to haul my boat from the Okanagan or just use the 14 ft at the cabin. It has manual riggers but hardly a comfortable salmon platform, more just a utility rig for getting clams/oysters/prawns/crab.

Went out Saturday, Mission Point to just past Sargeant bay, lots of bait balls on the sounder. Ran into two humpbacks, and two orcas and pulled up what looked like a big dogfish, similar brownish color but didn't have stingers. It was over 44 inches. Google suggests it was a catshark. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

Was at Texada/Lasqueti/Sangster Fri/Sat and Mon/Tue. Still red spring in the 70s around. We all got our limits.

Attachments

• DCE5BAF9-8833-40FC-A7A4-9347A76DD5EF.jpeg
    DCE5BAF9-8833-40FC-A7A4-9347A76DD5EF.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 119
  • BD27EF05-2541-41F1-9263-ADB7A03CA5D4.jpeg
    BD27EF05-2541-41F1-9263-ADB7A03CA5D4.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 98
  • BFBA332A-2094-4ADE-9AC0-E2D5B76B61D2.jpeg
    BFBA332A-2094-4ADE-9AC0-E2D5B76B61D2.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 012FB02C-3A04-47F9-8F1A-DC22BE1FE866.jpeg
    012FB02C-3A04-47F9-8F1A-DC22BE1FE866.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 2B1262EC-B86B-4F83-B712-B565278C7F8E.jpeg
    2B1262EC-B86B-4F83-B712-B565278C7F8E.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 124
So staycation time, Flat waters, possible action on the low tide? Push off 10:30ish. Just a good day to be on the brine. No real expectations. Jig a bit for ling, just unders so off to Epsom. Lots of Ho's none clipped.... 2 under springs sent packing, hey back to a ling jig, swimbait queen does us proud, with the lings closing Friday 30th it's a nice reward.

Attachments

• IMG_2574.JPG
    IMG_2574.JPG
    541.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2571.JPG
    IMG_2571.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2567.JPG
    IMG_2567.JPG
    500.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 108
So staycation time, Flat waters, possible action on the low tide? Push off 10:30ish. Just a good day to be on the brine. No real expectations. Jig a bit for ling, just unders so off to Epsom. Lots of Ho's none clipped.... 2 under springs sent packing, hey back to a ling jig, swimbait queen does us proud, with the lings closing Friday 30th it's a nice reward.

Beauty. Getting stoked for the winter chinook season - last year was great. June-July fishing is hard to beat in our parts, but those crisp, cool, clear and glassy Nov-Feb mornings are something special. Had some great days right out front of Secret, and the best days were on the Bjerre. Usually find I don't need to run to Epsom during winter, but the standard tacks produced last winter also. Favorite tasting fish all year are the winters. Can't beat the crowds, too.

1664393487649.png

Beauty. Getting stoked for the winter chinook season - last year was great. June-July fishing is hard to beat in our parts, but those crisp, cool, clear and glassy Nov-Feb mornings are something special. Had some great days right out front of Secret, and the best days were on the Bjerre. Usually find I don't need to run to Epsom during winter, but the standard tacks produced last winter also. Favorite tasting fish all year are the winters. Can't beat the crowds, too.

View attachment 85726
Hello any tips on a depth you fish the shoal and on witch side of the shoal pls

Went out Saturday, Mission Point to just past Sargeant bay, lots of bait balls on the sounder. Ran into two humpbacks, and two orcas and pulled up what looked like a big dogfish, similar brownish color but didn't have stingers. It was over 44 inches. Google suggests it was a catshark. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

Soupfin , also known as a tope shark

Popped out for a quick matinee fish on the Bjerre with the two boys on Friday, ocean as glassy as it gets. Set the lines in deep for winters and had a couple feisty undersize hit right away. Quick gaff releases and reset the lines. Did a full lap trolling NW-SE along the western shoal, the flood was ripping pretty hard for the Malaspina. Came back around to SE and smelled the unmistakable bouquet of a ripe diaper. Stuck into that and sure enough the deep line pops. As the poop starts to streak the deck via my youngest son's knees, we land a nice 63cm winter, and shortly thereafter the other pin pops. Poop and fish blood now. Heavier fish, but clunky odd feeling headshakes, and two decent runs. Could hardly believe it when it was in the net, but it was a male chum. Caught lots in the rivers, but first chum in the salt chuck for me.

Great day on the water, and the boat got her best bath of the season that eve. Before the action, I was going to fish a couple tacks out front of Secret, but called it a day after the two on the Bjerre.

Fish hit on both sides - homeland security and derby winner.

Hoping to get out again this weekend. Tight lines!

1665685438826.jpeg

1665685583342.jpeg

1665685546605.jpeg

View attachment 85726
Cya out there buddy ;) i dont know why but snow falling makes me want to get out fishing more than a sunny day. Maybe that's because I have a hard top and heater LOL. Cant wait!

Popped out for a quick matinee fish on the Bjerre with the two boys on Friday, ocean as glassy as it gets. Set the lines in deep for winters and had a couple feisty undersize hit right away. Quick gaff releases and reset the lines. Did a full lap trolling NW-SE along the western shoal, the flood was ripping pretty hard for the Malaspina. Came back around to SE and smelled the unmistakable bouquet of a ripe diaper. Stuck into that and sure enough the deep line pops. As the poop starts to streak the deck via my youngest son's knees, we land a nice 63cm winter, and shortly thereafter the other pin pops. Poop and fish blood now. Heavier fish, but clunky odd feeling headshakes, and two decent runs. Could hardly believe it when it was in the net, but it was a male chum. Caught lots in the rivers, but first chum in the salt chuck for me.

Great day on the water, and the boat got her best bath of the season that eve. Before the action, I was going to fish a couple tacks out front of Secret, but called it a day after the two on the Bjerre.

Fish hit on both sides - homeland security and derby winner.

Hoping to get out again this weekend. Tight lines!

View attachment 86117

View attachment 86119

View attachment 86118
We smashed chum this time of year on Bjerre, usually the north end for some reason when we lived there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back