2022 Powell River Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the good areas around Powell river and what’s the regs out here new to this area for fishing coming over for work just seeing if it’s worth bringing my boat

What are the good areas around Powell river and what’s the regs out here new to this area for fishing coming over for work just seeing if it’s worth bringing my boat
No chinook retention unless you go north and fish the inlet fishery. You can go south and fish Area 16 inlet fishery as well. Lingcod opens May 1st and commercial prawners May 5th. Always worthwhile to get out on the water. Depending on how big your boat is you can launch at Lund or Okeover and run up to fish Toba. Running south to fish Area 16 it is best to launch at Westview.

No other reports from Powell river, so I'll add my 2 cents worth...
Fished Tues & Wed with daughter & SIL. On Tuesday, lines in the water at Coho Point around noon. Running anchovies & spoons. Anchovies got lots of action but short bites. A waste of bait. Shifted to old faithful purple haze hoochie combination & things heated up right away. After trying a bunch of different spoons, ran purple haze on both lines & both started fishing. Went home once we had our three. 68, 77 & 64 cm at around 3:30.
Yesterday, we started around 10:00. It was pretty lumpy out, so we tucked in out of the wind at the sandbank on Harwood. After wounding a few shakers we pulled up our lines. With calmer water we headed for Coho Point again.
Again, lots a great pin popping strikes but lost most before seeing them. Things picked up slowly after the tide change & we landed three really nice fish. The biggest only a cm under the limit.
One fast & furious double header was rudely interrupted by (what I think was) a huge stellar sea lion. He ended up sticking his head out of the water & taking a bow after removing both fish from our lines in under three minutes. I may have said a couple of bad words...
We had to work for it, but again went home with three really nice fish.
Once again, spoons were useless. Purple haze & green spatterback hoochie did all the work. Didn't seem to matter what flasher we used. UV or Glow, all got some action.
Most fish hit on the deep line 220 - 230 ft on the rigger in 200 to 300' of water, but the other, running 40' shallower did pretty well.

will be over savory way tomorrow......any tips on where to find some salmon close by? will be between hernado island and savory actually. thanks

Had some good fish off of Sarah Point just over a week ago for spring in the slot and above (caught and released 2 overs). Otherwise Baker passage North end of Hernando), in between Savary and Lund (in close on either side), or out to Sentry Shoal or Grant's reef are the known spots I am aware of out that way.

will be over savory way tomorrow......any tips on where to find some salmon close by? will be between hernado island and savory actually. thanks
There is a drop off between the two island just after where it shallows between the two islands on the east side fish the drop off.

I fished baker passage about 5 days ago and lots of action, 6 fish and 1 keeper. Was hoping to try Sarah Point today in hopes of some bigger fish. Any suggestions re depths and what spoons or hoochies that are working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back