2022 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you've been waiting to get sockeye, now is the time. Last few days fishing China creek area there are lots of big and small schools kicking around. We were catching them from 50'-80' with he regular gear and even a silver/gold coho killer with 60" leader that I had on incase a Chinook decided to pass by. Hooked into 13 this morning. I didn't see any commercial guys out either which is nice as I though the opening was till the 5th of August.

Well if you've been waiting to get sockeye, now is the time. Last few days fishing China creek area there are lots of big and small schools kicking around. We were catching them from 50'-80' with he regular gear and even a silver/gold coho killer with 60" leader that I had on incase a Chinook decided to pass by. Hooked into 13 this morning. I didn't see any commercial guys out either which is nice as I though the opening was till the 5th of August.
Where they in good shape? I cought them mid Aug. last year and they where not that healthy.

Went out this AM with our lines in the water at the crack of 8:30. Had four in the boat by 10:30. A couple pretty good sized ones. Every hit was a double or triple header and every one resulted in tangles. Lost several fish but no tackle.
My technique apparently a little rusty. Quite a few caught out there.

Got out to Cous around 6:45. Almost gave up at the beginning because was having a hell of a time setting the gear and steering solo in all the wind. Was glad I stuck around. Got 3 in the boat in about 20 mins, lost a few then got my limit 20 mins later.

Bite was hot. So fun. Running a pink michael bait 18" off a purple haze. No need to bother stacking rods with this much action. Might drag the wife out after work!
sox.jpg

Is it the norm for Sockeye run around China Creek to be this late? I thought by mid-July Sockeye is done. Just trying to time it better for next year as late June was extremely slow for me.

Is it the norm for Sockeye run around China Creek to be this late? I thought by mid-July Sockeye is done. Just trying to time it better for next year as late June was extremely slow for me.
We've caught them before in August but they were closed already so we couldn't keep them. This year is an unusual one for sockeye. There was back to back netting for 8 weeks almost which hindered the recreational fisherman. They are in the canal now and DFO hasn't closed the season yet for sockeye. We caught beautiful fish yesterday at China creek and they are in really good shape.

Attachments

• 20220802_163222_HDR.jpg
    20220802_163222_HDR.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 39
I have caught sockeyes in some years in mid August. Schools of fish showed up very late at times. currently, people are catching them.
I caught one August 20 last year near the wall in bamfield.. the thing was covered in sea lice and it's nose was caved in

No it is not the norm. The run this year was right on time. Fishing sucked early because of the cooler water temps and rain which sent the fish straight up the rivers. Then the commercial guys had their openings and more openings and more openings when the numbers were met for the spawning grounds. Finally the weather cooperated for the sport fisherman and heated up the rivers and inlet which makes the fish school up and hold. Usually this is the case by late June, not this year. I always tell my friends to come up about the 5th of July. I find that time (+/-) a few days to be very good with large numbers coming through.

No it is not the norm. The run this year was right on time. Fishing sucked early because of the cooler water temps and rain which sent the fish straight up the rivers. Then the commercial guys had their openings and more openings and more openings when the numbers were met for the spawning grounds. Finally the weather cooperated for the sport fisherman and heated up the rivers and inlet which makes the fish school up and hold. Usually this is the case by late June, not this year. I always tell my friends to come up about the 5th of July. I find that time (+/-) a few days to be very good with large numbers coming through.
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.

Is there much of a night bite with sockeye in the inlet? Went to try yesterday but got to the dock and the wife decided it was too windy for it to be fun for her. Thinking of trying to take her again today. Limited out again this morning. Solo double header got the blood pumping before I finished my morning coffee.

Is there much of a night bite with sockeye in the inlet? Went to try yesterday but got to the dock and the wife decided it was too windy for it to be fun for her. Thinking of trying to take her again today. Limited out again this morning. Solo double header got the blood pumping before I finished my morning coffee.
Generally it isn’t as crazy as the mornings, but fish can definitely be caught in the evenings!

Any reports from last day or so thinking to come over if they are still biting after that little weather change

Any reports from last day or so thinking to come over if they are still biting after that little weather change
I was out this morning with 2 others in my boat. It wasn't as hot for us as it had been on wednesday and thursday but still good fishing. Got 3 in the tub and lost 3 between 6:30-8:30 fishing cous. Saw a lot of folks stacking rods. Maybe slowing down or a weather thing? I'll be out tomorrow AM and will update.
Tight lines!
Dylan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back