2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a kayak fishing camping spot for a summer trip. How far out do you start to find fish. Not looking for hot numbers just how far do you need to travel for consistint fish?

Looking for a kayak fishing camping spot for a summer trip. How far out do you start to find fish. Not looking for hot numbers just how far do you need to travel for consistint fish

China creek, poets nook and bamfield all have access to consistent fishing pretty much right out front of each. China and poets are both camp grounds and bamfield has one in grapplers inlet can’t recall the name

Looking at dates for a trip this summer, I was able to find accommodation from August 23 - 30. Should there still still be consistent Chinook around those dates at the usual inside spots?
August 23 - 3- is prime time in the Sound. Kirby, Flemming and Sandford would be great spots to Kayak fish. The wall, harbour mouth and west of the harbour mouth are good fishing and very easy to access by kayak.

I have reserved a China Creek campground for the 2nd week of June. Trying to get my daughters into some fish close to the campground so don't have to take the boat all the way to Bamfield. Typically does Sockeye show up that close at that time of year? Hope it's not too early for them.

Go back to last year’s port alberni fishing alberni inlet reports. Lots of good info for the inlet. I don’t target sockeye or fish that far inside the inlet. I think the sockeye are just starting about that time. Anyways good luck

In your opinion what is prime time for bamfield. I feel August 15th is the absolute prime time. But I've heard different theories. I've been mid July and it wasn't as good as early August. I'm booked this year for the start of August

I did really well aug 18-21 last year. Booked for a bit later this year 25-28. Hopefully they’re still around the sound!

In your opinion what is prime time for bamfield. I feel August 15th is the absolute prime time. But I've heard different theories. I've been mid July and it wasn't as good as early August. I'm booked this year for the start of August
July can be fantastic especially late June early July during the squid spawn. Hali fishing is at its peak during these same times. Late July is always hit and miss. The bulk of American fish have usually moved south by late July and the bulk of the Somass fish have yet to arrive. Things really start to pick up after the first week of August. August 12 through to the end of month is money time. By the Labour Day weekend I find it starts to tail off, still well worth the while but not as hot as the middle of the month.
In many ways I love July in Barclay Sound. Way less boat traffic and much better weather. You just have to search a bit more but there are many July days that are still just killer.
Never a bad day on the water in and around Bamfield!
Enjoy...

What are the opportunites in early June? I know Chinnook size may smaller but what about Ling and Halibut?
How is the weather then?
We went mid July last year and had great weather and limits of everything although most Chinook in the 10 to 12 pound range

We usually target white meat fishing ,Hali ling, prawns and crab that time of year. The weathers can be nice so so. No fog usually. We don’t keep a salmon until July unless we are having it fresh for dinner.

Last edited:
What are the opportunites in early June? I know Chinnook size may smaller but what about Ling and Halibut?
How is the weather then?
We went mid July last year and had great weather and limits of everything although most Chinook in the 10 to 12 pound range
June can be much better than most folks realize. If the squid spawn is prolific, and the last few years it has been, June can be fantastic. Keeha Bay offers great opportunity to catch mature springs on the jig, which, if you have never done before is stupid fun! Live rigging squid is also a super fun and effective way to catch springs. Trolling skinny gs behind glow green flashers and or glow white hootchies can be very productive in June.
Even old time spots like Kirby and Sandford can really turn on in June as American fish inundate the whole of Barclay Sound. We had a couple of our guides pick up tyees in June last season. Not common for sure but definitely possible.
And of course, offshore hali fishing is usually off the charts good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back