It’s scratchy out there, two small and one teenager today. Fished until about 10:15 and got the teen when pulling the gear. I had two great fighters over the last couple days. One jumped a half dozen times the other once.

Rumor has it there are Robertson creek fish on the Surfline now, which is normal for this time of year

Don’t be afraid to give Wilf rock a rub, especially at the top of the flood tide. Also, the outside of Gowland rocks down towards Long Beach

Good luck guys!

Thanks @Aces good tip! we went out with a couple locals in a 1 on 1 derby this morning. Thanks to them picking the spots we came out on top, got a 23.5 lb salmon at Wilf and got a 50+ lb Hali jigging a cut plug on a salmon rod when we were looking for lings. My buddy got to reel them both in but it was icing on the cake to net and gaff the two best fish of the trip in. Best thing was my 4 year old son reeling in a quill back rock fish from 130 feet. Great to revisit Tofino from the waterfront side after not heading on the outside since commercial fishing there 25 odd years ago.

Interesting, there was also a few native crews rigging up trollers with girdies in the harbour as well. Ballsy, in a 17 foot boat from the 70-80’s. Lots of respect
It’s where the old trophy’s end up, lol

Reactions: RBL
Was camping and fishing in Tofino last week. Fishing was excellent around Wilf Rock and working along the kelp when weeds weren't too thick depending on the tide. Found one area with heavy concentration of bait made up of small herring and needle fish. Pretty much every pass resulted in hook up. Anchovy and AP Tackle Sandlance spoon were the ticket. Thanks to @Aces for all the tips! Had fun getting some friends who don't salmon fish much into some action. The best though was my kids landing a bunch!

Attachments

• 20210809_103229_resized.jpg
    20210809_103229_resized.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210809_105047_resized.jpg
    20210809_105047_resized.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 20210812_091119_resized.jpg
    20210812_091119_resized.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 20210813_163649_resized.jpg
    20210813_163649_resized.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 20210811_082630_resized_1.jpg
    20210811_082630_resized_1.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 117
I'm heading up tomorrow for the weekend. I usually fish out of Bamfield so this should be interesting. Weather offshore looks a bit too nasty to chase Tuna. Hopefully can find a decent Halibut spot at least.

So is Wilf rock open or closed. On the fishing app it says 24-8 is closed?

mid offshore closed to springs too? I see that being closed as well?

Heading there for last 2 days of august.

Wow. When you look at that colour coded mess you realize the fish have bigger brains than the DFO. The fish can navigate to Alaska and Japan and come back to thier natal stream.

So is Wilf rock open or closed. On the fishing app it says 24-8 is closed?

mid offshore closed to springs too? I see that being closed as well?

Heading there for last 2 days of august.
Wilf is open. Actually from La Croix group all the way to Ukee is open with in 1 mile. The Surfline is the place to be this time of year

Didn't get a chance to go out today due to some mechanical issues. Sounds like the lighthouse was still hot. Lots of bait and the fish are quite shallow.

I'm up here in tofino for a couple days. Fishing so far is pretty good considering our lack of area knowledge. First day were able to get three spring and four nice coho. And a couple of nice coho yesterday. All at the lighthouse. We're unable to find much when it's too rough for the lighthouse. Looking for just a good coho area. So two questions. Calmest area your allowed to target Chinook? Decent coho area? I'm guessing wilf rock to target Chinook and no idea about the coho. Just waiting for some light then fish on.

Today we made it out lighthouse and got all our coho right away. A mix of hatchery and wild. We also got one decent spring. About 50/50 spoons to anchovies. Tomorrow is the the last day so let's hope for some Chinook.

Back