Out today for 2 trips and we had good numbers on both trips. Kept 7 in the morning trip..4 wild 3 hatch and only need 1 fish in the afternoon as I only had a single out from Germany and he just wanted 1 fish for dinner...we let everything else go. Hootchies from 35 to 100 ft doing all the work. Out again all day tomorrow...all this rain coming is going to change things soon. The sea lions are feasting in the harbour and outside as well. Good whale show today close to us.

Saturday morning. Pushed off from the wharf at 9:30. Glad to see the great storm didn't gel. It was beautiful out there.

Started where I got them last week, about 1/2 km off Beechy head. Green glow hootchies. Had to wait 20 mins before the first double. Got a couple more but decided to try something different after seeing what they were eating last week. Trolled some large herring, kippers really as they where freezer burnt left over halibut bait. Rigged whole (choked) rotating over a dummy flasher. It worked! 6 fish for 6 pieces of bait. One take was after I popped the release and was reeling in.

6 on bait, 2 on spoons and 4 on rubber plus a few lost.

Whales sneaking along the shore at the head capped a great day. I'm sure it did for hikers at the head as well.

Out this morning from 8-11, started at the Head but it was lumpy, much more than expected, so moved over towards Secretary where it was much nicer. In short order there, got two coho in the boat, one hatch the other wild, both on a green Hookum at 73' in about 400' of water. Watched a few humpbacks out in the strait with a few breaches. Ended the morning with a troll back into Beecher, a few shakers but no other action.

Beechy again this morning. Too lumpy too hang around the head so ended up in the bay, because the wind just kind of blew me that way. Still kind of unpleasant and tough to fish. Did a couple of loops out into the slop and held out until noon. Only four coho on this morning, two lost beside the boat and a hatchery 5# and a beautiful 11#(weighed) for the tub. Nothing on rubber, two on a'trap shack' spoon and two on whole herring. 90'.

Saw two sets of whales, or the same ones twice, heading west along the shore.IMG_20211017_162537.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry about the huge pic. As you can see, the buck is ready for the river, already showing red in the fins. Wonder where they're heading?

Out at the head today for a short trip 12 till 3pm. Tried out 500 to 600 ft with no bites so we decided to troll back with the current to race rocks. Saw some whales further south near church and got a few on the troll back south of Church in about 500 ft of water. Even got a chum at 150ft on the rigger. Strange fish as it looked a bit black as if it came out of the river. Had nice coho at 77ft on the rigger. Passed on this info and talked to some nice people on VHF 68.

Amazing that coho are still being caught this late in October! Nice day but the swells were a little big.

Anyone else going out today? My first time out in about 3 weeks. I know TSquared did ok but wondering if they're still biting and on what. Ill be on VHF 68 for anyone out there today. Black Pearl.

Anyone else going out today? My first time out in about 3 weeks. I know TSquared did ok but wondering if they're still biting and on what. Ill be on VHF 68 for anyone out there today. Black Pearl.
Going with a friend if he has vhf will give you a call Catalina is going out too you can call

Apologies to Catalina and Pat C my friend didn’t have VHF but we didn’t have much to report out from the head in 400-500 ft one wild coho maybe 6-7 at 130 but nice four hours of conversation

No worries habberdasher. Not a lot being caught yesterday. We had lots of shakers and ended up with 2 in the boat. A 5# and a 10#. Heard of a few on the radio and saw maybe 2 nets out. That was it. I hate fishing anywhere near a full moon.

I looked at the forecast and decided it would be an opportunity to get out this afternoon before the monsoons hit. Lines were in off the Head at 1pm, a coho was in the boat at 2, down deep,140, on glow green hootchie then we didn’t get another fish until 4 when we were pulling in the lines. So kind of a slow day but nevertheless it was great. The sea was glassy, no wind and even an hour or Two of sunshine. We truly live in a beautiful place.9D4FAFB0-9849-46A7-ACE0-C12CB6147258.jpeg

Out on the pick for 4 hours today and nothing but dog fish to show for our efforts.

One of these trips my Hali luck has got to change or at least maybe find a Hali dumb enough to bite my gear

Watching the comotion around the burning cargo ship passed the time by.

Out in front of Pedder today. Released one spring at the boat, close to legal, lost two that seemed bigger, towed around a bunch of little shakers for God only knows how long. My buddy caught one around 7 lbs. We were also on the hook for a couple of hours with only a couple of dogfish taking the bait. Nice to get out again.

pI was just going to move the boat from the driveway to the dock to clear the path for the trick or treaters tomorrow, but it was calm and sunny. Out at the Bedfords to 450 from high tide at 2 until dusk, only shakers for me.

Last edited:
Back