Put in a couple hours at Whirl and an hour at the navy can but nothing that stuck. Looks like there was bait and fish around so maybe I just missed the bite. Fewer boats around than last weekend.

Out at Pedder yesterday 12-3pm. Released 8 or 9 at the boat all around the 3-4 lb range. All on spoons. A few were on the bottom in 80-90 ft of water and a few in 150ft of water with 120-130 on the DR. A couple of doubles so a fun couple of hours. First trip in a few weeks but it was great to see the rod twitching even though they were small.

Hey guys! My wife and I are planning on fishing out of sooke this spring and are curious of early season halibut fishing? We have an 18’ trophy so don’t travel offshore curious if anyone has any areas or tips?

I got out in front of the Bluffs for a few hours today. Tried out at 120-130 contours near bottom but got nothing but little lingcod then moved in a bit to 105-110 and picked up two and lost one. Released one that was just over 45 cm and kept another at around 60 cm. My first ever keeper chinook, finally got to fill in a line on my licence. Not a huge one but will be tasty. All fish came on a blue and white glow flashfly hoochie.

Hey guys! My wife and I are planning on fishing out of sooke this spring and are curious of early season halibut fishing? We have an 18’ trophy so don’t travel offshore curious if anyone has any areas or tips?
Welcome to the site. This is the fishing reports section, try posting your question in the salt water section. You wont find many guys willing to give up their holes, but if you ask about specific questions you will usually get help. There is also a good search feature on the site with several threads about halibut fishing in Sooke, so try that too.

On Saturday (Jan.23) I got out in my kayak for the first time in more than a year and managed to pick up a couple of small keepers out of Becher Bay. I felt a bit sheepish about the size until I got back to the marina and saw boat anglers with lots of fish that were no bigger than mine. In fact, out of the ten or so fish I saw the biggest one might have been five pounds.

Last edited:
On Saturday (Jan.23) I got out in my kayak for the first time in more than a year and managed to pick up a couple of small keepers out of Becher Bay. I felt a bit sheepish about the size until I got back to the marina and saw boat anglers with lots of fish that were no bigger than mine. In fact, out of the ten or so fish I saw the biggest one might have been five pounds.

Nice fish cliff

Great video - that was fun to watch :) What a great way to spend a January day

Stizzla'ed! Happened to me just like that with a teener off camper creek lots of years ago. Lost it right off my lap. Live and learn, so now I only land larger salmon by gilling them.
Z.

it would be nice if they made it a happy medium ans did it across the board, 55cm would be nice.
I have to send back some nice 60cm’s in Sidney this time of the year. Not cool.

Back