2021 JaxonCraft Build Thread

Something to consider - for the swinging door, the builder will usually put a catch so the door will lock in the full open position. Most will put them at foot height which is out of the way but you need to bend over every time you want to unlatch the door to close it. See if it's possible to get the catch somewhere higher (waist high, or door handle high) so you don't need to bend over every time to unlatch it.

Talking with Robert about where we are on the timeline and we expect the boat heading over to Breaker's Marine for the engines installation / in late November.

We experienced our first supply chain hiccup last week when a supplier was unable to provide the Fusion Radio that had been ordered since June. The speakers had been at Robert's shop since July. It took me a few hours of searching on the net and making some phone calls and I was able to find and order the radio.

The process of building a boat is like building or renovating a house or planning a long trip. As things all start come together at the end you need to be flexible and not be 100% set in your ways. It is never going to be exactly what you imagined and you need to go with the flow.

I think that the time and research that my wife and I have spent leading up to and during the build, combined with finding the right builder for us, and having ReelSlim's build as a model, plus the collective wisdom of this forum have made things go as well as they have.

Yesterday I picked up the Shore Power hookups and will send them to Robert today.

After some back and forth we decided to go with SmartPlug https://smartplug.com/

The fact that some US underwriters will give a 10% rate reduction if a boat has SmartPlugs speaks volumes to me.

Robert told me he will have more photos to send to us later this week.

View of rear door latching mechanism, exterior seat base, and folding table (up and down) for stove, etc.

(Note hold door open latch is not yet installed)

1635467642653.jpeg

Close up of drop table (up)

1635467799166.jpeg

Close up of table up, and door latching mechanism (note Robert has not installed a hold open thing, yet)

1635468012400.jpeg

Close up of drop table (down) and rear seat /storage box,

1635468089574.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking great @Bill 310 .

Will you have a window on the door? It is helpful for feeling more open when inside the cabin, and for improved visibility when on the back deck fishing and you want to keep inside warm and dry.

We are waiting on window delivery, seats and cushions are ready for install.

I haven't heard back from Robert on toe rail side gunnel storage, door latch hold open mechanism.

Cabin rear door window will have opening cut when window arrives.

Door will have interior latch and exterior lock.

I hope to have photos of rear seat tomorrow.

We sent in registration for boat name etc. this past weekend.

There is a lot of busy work yet to be done on the boat.

Reactions: BCI
Looking great @Bill 310 .

Will you have a window on the door? It is helpful for feeling more open when inside the cabin, and for improved visibility when on the back deck fishing and you want to keep inside warm and dry.

Yes there will be rear door window. (with vertical sliding window and screen)

Robert will wait till windows arrive to cut door window. Other windows were custom sized to openings, door window is a standard size.

Reactions: BCI
Bow Rail (note space at centre bow to allows beach access).
I'm thinking that's going to be a heck of a jump onto the beach from that high bow.Better have a ladder or a pair of crutches handy. :cool:

I'm thinking that's going to be a heck of a jump onto the beach from that high bow.Better have a ladder or a pair of crutches handy. :cool:
Nice catch, I wrote that late.

I forgot that we didn't order the beach ladder. Robert is building us a custom stern ladder, and we are using the roof for traps and/or an inflatable ( The roof is where the bow/stern ladder would normally reside)

I can tell you first hand that its a long way from the bow to the trailer when I pull the boat by myself. Although I think I can do it for a few years yet! lol

I can tell you first hand that its a long way from the bow to the trailer when I pull the boat by myself. Although I think I can do it for a few years yet! lol
A hand hold on the deck at the bow, U-bolt an "L" bracket to the top of the winch post and some wider checker plate on the trailer reach (my spare tire is a step as well).....saves a lot of 'soakers'......Leave your tailgate down.

A hand hold on the deck at the bow, U-bolt an "L" bracket to the top of the winch post and some wider checker plate on the trailer reach (my spare tire is a step as well).....saves a lot of 'soakers'......Leave your tailgate down.

My spare actually is the only reason I can do it at all...lol Unfortunately my tailgate on my Dodge just hits the top of the ball receiver on my trailer. I found out after just dropping my tailgate rushing around and then noticed the dent later! :confused:

And that is just another reason why I didn't buy a trailer or the truck to tow it. Plus the cost of said truck and trailer would have boosted the price of this adventure .

Though come to think of it I could have tried to mansplain to my wife we could buy a 25 foot with a truck and trailer or buy a 30' with no truck and trailer and saved money.

Sexy

1635700533182.png

1635700597566.png

Back