Anyone ever fish coho around shelter/willow point? Having decent luck with springs and lots of pinks, wondering if coho cruise that area in the upcoming weeks. First year living in CR.
In the coming weeks they will be right off the beaches from driftwood restaurant in the bay right through salmon point into the oyster Bay Area. Great way to introduce kids fishing with a cheap spin caster and knee deep water. You should know if they are there just by the finning action.

Fished browns today, lost a nice spring. Fed 7 pinks our anchovy and a nice ling. Lots of pinks running down with the tide..
Thought the humpies would be thinning out by now,good to know,will hang some pink gear out tomorrow....springs seemed to have left town,(for me anyway)
(East side Quadra)

I am not an expert by any means but I'm learning fast and having the odd success. I had been doing well at what they call the 3 fingers over by fransisco point in anything up to 100 ft and sometimes much less. Picking up slow jig techniques off youtube it seems a rule of thumb is 8o gm for each 100 feet-if you go real heavy shallow my understanding is the jig doesn't work right and plunges to the bottom too fast. Seems to make sense and I have had luck following that. Bait is the key-no bait-not much chance. My 2 cents
Thanks ... For salmon? Interesting point about the bait on a jig. I have heard much about baiting a jig. In Ontario a jig and minnow will get you a delicious walleye feed anyday. I was up sailing Allison Harbour area 2 weeks ago and for hali dropped a heavy jig unbaited with white twister tail. Worked like a charm. I would say that baited jig would be a plus.

Thanks ... For salmon? Interesting point about the bait on a jig. I have heard much about baiting a jig. In Ontario a jig and minnow will get you a delicious walleye feed anyday. I was up sailing Allison Harbour area 2 weeks ago and for hali dropped a heavy jig unbaited with white twister tail. Worked like a charm. I would say that baited jig would be a plus.
Bait on a jig may be worth a try but I think here spring fever meant no point in jigging unless there is clearly bait around in the water where you are jigging.

You missed the point-you have to jig in and particularly around bait-the jigs we use would not work properly with bait on them--scent maybe!!

Got to fish shelter point today from 9am to 1pm. Almost non stop action…7 or 8 springs to the boat, 4 ling, 2 rock cod. All released….either just under or out of season. Fun day on the water tho. These feeders are sure feisty. Lost a good one at the boat.
Way to go Trophy21.. what depth were you at (on the rigger, that is)?

Got to fish shelter point today from 9am to 1pm. Almost non stop action…7 or 8 springs to the boat, 4 ling, 2 rock cod. All released….either just under or out of season. Fun day on the water tho. These feeders are sure feisty. Lost a good one at the boat.
what was on their menu.....plugs, hootchie?

Back