2021 Brown’s Bay Reports

Surprised to hear some got fish. was up Sunday all day from 10 am till 5 pm. we were the second to last boat on the water in both plumper and deepwater. We never had a bite all day. unless the fish bit early before we got there in plumper bay. not sure where the fish were. we only saw 3 caught all day out of about 80 boats, and one was obviously a coho about 4 lbs the guy threw back. only saw 4 fish jump all day. Id call it as bad as I've ver seen it in 10 years. We saw one fish at the cleaning station at lunch all the other boats struck out. We heard it was mostly limites on Saturday and Friday. just bad luck for us i guess. Fished 55 to 100' . pink, pink/blue, red/blue, red black. very few fish on the sounder as well.
“You should have been here yesterday” is often heard in fishing reports. Lol

Early start didn’t pay off today. Saw 2 jumpers at separation while setting lines at 8 am, thought catching was going to be good. Bite came on at noon. Landed 3, long line released #4.

I'll take that as good news !!
Unfortunately the weather coming up doesn't look that great,and having an open boat,will likely wait for a decent day to give it a go

Well, I truly got pissed all over by Mom Nature and boat glitches . First of all the road into Browns Bay is a POS ! Picked a double trailer roller off the road and a broken tie down strap. Dragging a 26ft travel trailer was not fun. After getting the RV set up in the pouring rain, I drove back to Courtenay to pick up the boat. Launched at the crappy ramp and sat and watched the rain come down . That night I was woken by the trailer rocking in the wind and pelting rain. I was a little worried for the boat as I do not have a auto bilge pump. The back area is open. But, the amount of water was manageable. Next morning I headed out in HEAVY rain and 25 gusts of wind. Set the gear off the wall. 3 other boats out. I checked the downriggers before lowering one. The port side was dead. Spent 2 1/2 hrs with nothing to show except for a twisted neck from spinning around to see the working rigger. Saw ONE jumper. Next my wiper would not shut off. Only way to stop it was to kill the power at the Perko. mutter mutter... After another night of wind and pounding rain, I was up to pump the boat at 5 am. The lightbulb comes on--- GO HOME dummy !!! My wife was more than happy with that idea. So we did. Maybe next year will be better.

Well, I truly got pissed all over by Mom Nature and boat glitches . First of all the road into Browns Bay is a POS ! Picked a double trailer roller off the road and a broken tie down strap. Dragging a 26ft travel trailer was not fun. After getting the RV set up in the pouring rain, I drove back to Courtenay to pick up the boat. Launched at the crappy ramp and sat and watched the rain come down . That night I was woken by the trailer rocking in the wind and pelting rain. I was a little worried for the boat as I do not have a auto bilge pump. The back area is open. But, the amount of water was manageable. Next morning I headed out in HEAVY rain and 25 gusts of wind. Set the gear off the wall. 3 other boats out. I checked the downriggers before lowering one. The port side was dead. Spent 2 1/2 hrs with nothing to show except for a twisted neck from spinning around to see the working rigger. Saw ONE jumper. Next my wiper would not shut off. Only way to stop it was to kill the power at the Perko. mutter mutter... After another night of wind and pounding rain, I was up to pump the boat at 5 am. The lightbulb comes on--- GO HOME dummy !!! My wife was more than happy with that idea. So we did. Maybe next year will be better.
Sounds like you have a few things to get in order before next season. And yes, that road & launch are less than ideal. Usually in better shape during summer months but I wish they would upgrade that ramp.

Thank for the story,or should I say "Horror Show Extroadinaire"
Makes me feel good in front of the wood stove with a cooly watching football.....Ha !!!

Stick and stay make it pay Bryan! , today and tomorrow looks to be nice, not a big run anyways , there will be better trips for you and your sweetheart in the future

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll
Subject:
FN1109-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Chum - Areas 12 and 13 - Johnstone Strait - Mixed Stock Fisheries - Information Update - October 18, 2021

Johnstone Strait Chum test-fishing catches continue to be poor and there is a low likelihood that the 1.0 million Chum critical threshold identified in the IFMP and Chapter 6 of the Pacific Salmon Treaty will be met. In response to the continued low test-fishery catches and low probability of reaching the 1.0 million Chum critical threshold, Johnstone Strait mixed stock commercial Chum fisheries will not proceed in 2021.

The Johnstone Strait Chum test fishery will continue to monitor the run and collect biological information with a reduced test fishing program beyond October 20, and completion of the program on October 26.

The 24 hour toll-free phone-in line for fisheries notices is 1-866-431-3474.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Madeline Wanless
Madeline.Wanless@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries & Oceans Operations Center - FN1109
Sent October 18, 2021 at 1136

Sounds like you have a few things to get in order before next season. And yes, that road & launch are less than ideal. Usually in better shape during summer months but I wish they would upgrade that ramp.
After getting the boat home-- the aluminum portside trailer guide just fell off. I picked it up in my driveway.....Clean break . now the boat is in CV Marine in Courtenay, but I may not get it back for while as they are fully booked. Fishing is such fun --- thats why I have been doing it for 50+ years.. Now some would say I am just a slow learner .... but my fish doesn't cost more than $200/lb !

After getting the boat home-- the aluminum portside trailer guide just fell off. I picked it up in my driveway.....Clean break . now the boat is in CV Marine in Courtenay, but I may not get it back for while as they are fully booked. Fishing is such fun --- thats why I have been doing it for 50+ years.. Now some would say I am just a slow learner .... but my fish doesn't cost more than $200/lb !
How did you get your cost per LB down so reasonable?? LOL

Back