2021 Brown’s Bay Reports

It’s ugly for sure. No chums in SE Alaska this year and poor returns in the Central area and the North Coast. Tough times for sure.

Don't see any of the regular test set information from dfo. Last year was brutal i put in over 20 hours for nothing. Going to try this sunday. Hoping at least a few come through. Last yar it was slightly better at green sea than deepwater maybe with lower number it will be the better bet.

I just called the Brown’s Bay dock and the attendent told me the chum fishing was excellent and people were bringing their limits. I was quite surprised to hear that. Has anyone been fishing there in the last couple of days that can confirm that?

Johnstone Strait Chum test fishing catches to date have been poor and assessment information suggests the Inside Southern Chum return is tracking below the 1.0 million Chum critical threshold identified in the 2021-22 Southern Salmon Integrated Fisheries Management Plan and Chapter 6 of the Pacific Salmon Treaty.

I just called the Brown’s Bay dock and the attendent told me the chum fishing was excellent and people were bringing their limits. I was quite surprised to hear that. Has anyone been fishing there in the last couple of days that can confirm that?
I stopped calling Browns Bay years ago. I was really mad one year I was told that and when I got there everyone staying there it had been blanks all week. They are just trying to get people to come up and it is hard to tell if it's a sales pitch or the truth from them. I hope it's true but I doubt it. test set data doesn't lie. Will be up Sunday to check and will report results.

I stopped calling Browns Bay years ago. I was really mad one year I was told that and when I got there everyone staying there it had been blanks all week. They are just trying to get people to come up and it is hard to tell if it's a sales pitch or the truth from them. I hope it's true but I doubt it. test set data doesn't lie. Will be up Sunday to check and will report results.
Lol. Was thinking the same thing. Up Sunday and not many caught

Started our 8 am day at Plumper where we saw fish being taken. Unfortunately by the time we got our lines in it the bite went off or the school went past. Stuck around for a few hours but didn’t see more nets out. Headed to Deepwater bay for a few hours. We picked up one nice chum as we were planning our next effort at Green sea bay. Enjoyed a smooth ride up and back. Back at the dock others had done better than us. Fish are coming through but in my opinion not big numbers at the moment.

Last edited:
Surprised to hear some got fish. was up Sunday all day from 10 am till 5 pm. we were the second to last boat on the water in both plumper and deepwater. We never had a bite all day. unless the fish bit early before we got there in plumper bay. not sure where the fish were. we only saw 3 caught all day out of about 80 boats, and one was obviously a coho about 4 lbs the guy threw back. only saw 4 fish jump all day. Id call it as bad as I've ver seen it in 10 years. We saw one fish at the cleaning station at lunch all the other boats struck out. We heard it was mostly limites on Saturday and Friday. just bad luck for us i guess. Fished 55 to 100' . pink, pink/blue, red/blue, red black. very few fish on the sounder as well.

Surprised to hear some got fish. was up Sunday all day from 10 am till 5 pm. we were the second to last boat on the water in both plumper and deepwater. We never had a bite all day. unless the fish bit early before we got there in plumper bay. not sure where the fish were. we only saw 3 caught all day out of about 80 boats, and one was obviously a coho about 4 lbs the guy threw back. only saw 4 fish jump all day. Id call it as bad as I've ver seen it in 10 years. We saw one fish at the cleaning station at lunch all the other boats struck out. We heard it was mostly limites on Saturday and Friday. just bad luck for us i guess. Fished 55 to 100' . pink, pink/blue, red/blue, red black. very few fish on the sounder as well.

i think you probably just had normal fishing for this **** return and the others that limited on a different day got lucky when a few schools came though.

Back