2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

A couple of times on the north side of Fleming. Limited out a couple of times in a couple of hours. Not a crazy As in the past. Lots off shore as usual.

I know sockeye fishing is better at the Alberni end, but how hard is it to catch sockeye closer to Bamfield? When and where?

In early? July, we have done really well for Sockeye off Kirby Point on the incoming. If you fish the 130' contour line it seems to be all Coho, but if you go inside a bit, between the 65' and 94' line on the charts, and fish with the tide, we've found lots of Sockey as they swing around the point on the tide. We have seen lots of what appeared to be Springs deep too, but have never been able to get through the Coho to get to them. It's only been on the incoming though. They seem to disapear once the tide stops running. Black hooks, Pink and Black Michael Bait, Krippled K's, MP15's, Halloween Coyote with yellow stripe, all have been good. Look for fish finning inside on the start of the tide as you pull up. Easy place to fish. jc Tuna Maru

FN we’re getting a few in their net at the end of June last year, right at the harbour entrance to bamfield. Couple steelies too

In early? July, we have done really well for Sockeye off Kirby Point on the incoming. If you fish the 130' contour line it seems to be all Coho, but if you go inside a bit, between the 65' and 94' line on the charts, and fish with the tide, we've found lots of Sockey as they swing around the point on the tide. We have seen lots of what appeared to be Springs deep too, but have never been able to get through the Coho to get to them. It's only been on the incoming though. They seem to disapear once the tide stops running. Black hooks, Pink and Black Michael Bait, Krippled K's, MP15's, Halloween Coyote with yellow stripe, all have been good. Look for fish finning inside on the start of the tide as you pull up. Easy place to fish. jc Tuna Maru
Okay thanks, this is awesome information. I briefly fished Kirby this past summer and could be back again in July. I have fished socks in Renfrew outside around 600' deep in the big return years. Maybe Fraser socks can be targeted outside Bamfield if there's a big return this summer? The Fraser socks would be later.

Last edited:
Okay thanks, this is awesome information. I briefly fished Kirby this past summer and could be back again in July. I have fished socks in Renfrew outside around 600' deep in the big return years. Maybe Fraser socks can be targeted outside Bamfield if there's a big return this summer? The Fraser socks would be later.
Happy New Year! I think targeting Frazer fish off Bamfield would really be tough. You would need to know where the 'school' was and when. Otherwise, it would be just a shot in the dark. We are fishing on committed fish off KIrby and farther up the Inlet. I think if you look at any area where there are broad currents wrapping around or sweeping by structure, you will find them. Turn the 'Tides and Currents' add on on your mapping program and where you see the current 'arrows' could be places to concentrate. Typically you will have 500,000 to 1,000,000+ Socs moving through Barkley late June and July, probably on the South side, toward Alberni Inlet. I think one of the problems is that there are so many Springs, Coho, Halibut, and Bottom fish available as well. If we really want to concentrate on Sockeye, it easy just to run up to Pocahontas and they are stacked there. What a magic place Barkley is. jc Tuna Maru

Back