2017 Tuna Adventures

Westport tuna report;

Tues...out w ARSC charter gang, 12 fish to our boat, 2 on troll gear ( swimbaits) and the rest on live bait anchovies. Fish are 65miles sw of Westport. 46,30 by 125,30
I highly recommend All rivers and saltwater charters - many thanks to Lorne the capt on the boat i went out on
Common belief here is that very few tuna have been north of the 47degree line.
All the local commercial boats are 100 to 120 sw in front of north oregon coast.
The best thing about the few fish at 65 out is that they are all nice big fish 25-32lbs!

Weds... out in our own boat 24 campion with a homemade 30gal bait tank and high hopes!
We hooked 7 and landed 2...some loss due to rookie crew from kootenay lake and some due to 30lb fish on 30lb line and #1 size hook make for other losses ( anch are small this yr )
Wind kicked up and 64mile ride to the grays harbour bar was lumpy n wet. Bar conditions *****! Back to dock by gray dark...long day

Thurs... day off...clean boat process fish...fiddle w gear
Charter boats had poor results back at 5pm...left us wondering where to try on fridáy

Fri...we decide to start a bit south of tuesdays numbers, the strong n wind not helping any.
We trolled all over from 46,25 125 35 to 46 22 by 125 40
Marking lots of bait at 20-50' and some tu a marks at 70 to 90 no biters to be found
At 230 we hear a call from another sport boat who found some troll fish but had bait tank problems so he couldnt get a bait stop going (thanks to 'jason')
We ran to 46,21 by 125 , 25 and got on troll duty.
30 min later we hook up on the waaaay back roof line w a plain cedar plug.
For the next 1.5 hours we had a steady pick bite on livies w 6 more hooked up.
Piggies! Hard to land on 30lb line. Funny thing was that they woulding bite near the boat no matter how much chum we tossed ( no point saving bait at 330pm ha)
All the live hook ups were at least 75yds out from boat.
We had a school of blue sharks right behind boat so they didnt help getting an anch out that far.
Our biggest 5 fish weighed in at 131 lbs at Merinos fish processing.
Pics to follow once im back in Canada..campgroud wifi is too slow

Westport tuna report;

Tues...out w ARSC charter gang, 12 fish to our boat, 2 on troll gear ( swimbaits) and the rest on live bait anchovies. Fish are 65miles sw of Westport. 46,30 by 125,30
I highly recommend All rivers and saltwater charters - many thanks to Lorne the capt on the boat i went out on
Common belief here is that very few tuna have been north of the 47degree line.
All the local commercial boats are 100 to 120 sw in front of north oregon coast.
The best thing about the few fish at 65 out is that they are all nice big fish 25-32lbs!

Weds... out in our own boat 24 campion with a homemade 30gal bait tank and high hopes!
We hooked 7 and landed 2...some loss due to rookie crew from kootenay lake and some due to 30lb fish on 30lb line and #1 size hook make for other losses ( anch are small this yr )
Wind kicked up and 64mile ride to the grays harbour bar was lumpy n wet. Bar conditions *****! Back to dock by gray dark...long day

Thurs... day off...clean boat process fish...fiddle w gear
Charter boats had poor results back at 5pm...left us wondering where to try on fridáy

Fri...we decide to start a bit south of tuesdays numbers, the strong n wind not helping any.
We trolled all over from 46,25 125 35 to 46 22 by 125 40
Marking lots of bait at 20-50' and some tu a marks at 70 to 90 no biters to be found
At 230 we hear a call from another sport boat who found some troll fish but had bait tank problems so he couldnt get a bait stop going (thanks to 'jason')
We ran to 46,21 by 125 , 25 and got on troll duty.
30 min later we hook up on the waaaay back roof line w a plain cedar plug.
For the next 1.5 hours we had a steady pick bite on livies w 6 more hooked up.
Piggies! Hard to land on 30lb line. Funny thing was that they woulding bite near the boat no matter how much chum we tossed ( no point saving bait at 330pm ha)
All the live hook ups were at least 75yds out from boat.
We had a school of blue sharks right behind boat so they didnt help getting an anch out that far.
Our biggest 5 fish weighed in at 131 lbs at Merinos fish processing.
Pics to follow once im back in Canada..campgroud wifi is too slow

Good report Terry, let's see the pictures.

Thanks for the report. Headed out with ARSC on September 15th. Went the same time last year and we booked two boats and both boats ended up with 36 tuna each. This year we have three of their boats booked.

Terrafin is showing some good water off of Winter Harbor.............................. but are there any fish there?

Has anyone caught, seen, heard of, rumored, sniffed or even thought they have seen TUNA in BC waters this year?
Commercial reports? Maybe even bought canned Albacore in a store located in BC?!?

(Give me some hope here, it's almost September, I'm just pouting now, but another week I'll sniffle and by 15 Sept I'll cry (with tears).)

Gonna go give it a try this weekend with Sculpin, we are prepared to go the distance and do some exploring to see if we can get lucky, they have to be there some where.

Anyone else wanting to buddy boat give me a PM or Sculpin, cant wait any longer and this weekend seems to be shaping up nicely! we will be running out of Ukee/SB.

Gonna go give it a try this weekend with Sculpin, we are prepared to go the distance and do some exploring to see if we can get lucky, they have to be there some where.

Anyone else wanting to buddy boat give me a PM or Sculpin, cant wait any longer and this weekend seems to be shaping up nicely! we will be running out of Ukee/SB.
The shootout is right around the corner and is full steam ahead...we will find fish!

Talked to a commercial guy on Tuesday night in Ukee. They are frustrated. 15-50/day, when they would consider 100/day a good day. But there are some fish out there. They've been up to 450 miles out searching for the big herd and haven't found it yet. Good luck.

Just renewed the Terrafin subscription. There is awesome blue water off the coast right now. There seems to be a warm water pocket close in but when you look at the big picture the highway hasn't formed yet.

I've been totally unmotivated this year for anything but tuna. Just starting to get the boat ready. Work has been crazy busy (good thing). Hopefully Mark Coleman from Washington will fire the first shot again soon :cool:. My crew will be ready to go anytime and hopefully we get to experience Juna this year!!!

Here's to a great season folks. Work hard and play safe.

Cheers,
Sculpin

We just got back from 5 days at winter harbour. I agree that once you catch Tuna fishing for other species is less fulfilling. We did well in Quatsino last years so took the gamble for this trip. Our dates were fixed due to time off from work as well as booking "bring your own boat" with Qualicum Rivers Resort in WH. Rob is a wonderful host and we were well looked after and fed. The only problem is there are no Tuna. I also updated my Terrafin and the water temps were improving the week prior so my hopes were up. After speaking with my commercial friends it appears no Tuna had yet been caught in Canadian waters this year although Tuna have been brought in caught beyond Canadian waters. There were no commercial boats in harbour when we arrived but they started to show up on the 28th. The Tuna commercial boats were heading out on the 29th to START looking for tuna 150 miles out and 150 miles south, at least that is what Arron said. He does not think Tuna will show in this area for another 2 weeks, if at all but that of course is his opinion.Had a bit of a drinking party on the govt dock and started blaring their horns at 2:30 AM haha. Oh well they do work hard so what the hell why not have some fun. Before we knew there were not tuna being reported we did a long day cycling 20 miles out past the 1000 line. The total day trip took us of of Kyuquot a total of 120 miles. The morning was lovely but tuned at noon, poudned back up to Winter Harbour through nasty seas that took 7 hours. We hit 60.8 degree water but not Tuna. We tried hard but can't catch what is not there. Did ok on Hali which is my second favourite fish and was grateful for that. Saw a pod of about 20 orca which is always cool. Last year i put in at Port Alice but chose Coal Harbour this year which works better for my Glacier Bay boat except for the float plane who seemed pissed at every boat on the water. We had a great trip but were ultimately disappointed over the absent Tuna. I hope this post is helpful and wish it contained better news. I am still open to chase Tuna off of Ukee if they show up in september, and I have time off of work, and the weather is good, and………..
Rob/Sirene II

Thank you for the report Sirene, appreciated.

I'll cry a little (which I'm told is OK these days, it shows sensitivity) but I save the full tantrum for the end of Sept. (It will take place in aisle 4, in front of the canned tuna at Superstore, watch for it on youtube)

Thank you gentlemen for the likes and kind replies. We are going to be following terrafin and reports for Tuna. As I live in Nanaimo I will not make a run back to Quatsinao but rather look at Ukee if the Tuna show up. Finding time off work , good weather and fish will be the magic combo. If the fish show up my boat is on the trailer ready to go.

This is a good site to keep track of for the highway formation from the commercial sector.

http://www.wfoa-tuna.org/

The recent reportings.

June 15, 2017: No marketable amounts of albacore has yet to be caught. A few boast have been searching off Oregon and have caught 0-5 albacore in mainly cold 56 degree water.

Bloodydecks is another great source for information.

https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/forum/washington-saltwater-fishing-reports/

Watch for Mark Coleman from All River's to post up first.

Terrafin is a pay per view service that is so worth it. This is a must have for tuna fishing.

http://www.terrafin.com/

The most important thing is weather. Seriously. This is the most important thing about this fishery.

http://www.buoyweather.com/

Buoyweather is pay per view for long range and accurate reports.

If you are thinking about going the distance. The above 2 service's are worth their money for sure!!!

Very nice information you shared sculpin. Everyone should be grateful for your generosity. I also use wind alert for weather which is also quite good. The reason I mention it is that there is no cost

http://www.windalert.com/map#49.092,-124.347,7,1

By the way you have quite a good reputation as a few people up in winter harbour spoke highly of you :)

Yesterday we bobbed around in front of Nanaimo at the fingers to Rocky loin. Only Jack springs, but we were not out there long. I sure do not miss the swell haha

The part I like is that the SST and chloro conditions on the BC coast look similar to WA coast

Latest Westport Wa news

Don't miss out on the hottest Tuna action of the season! Tuna fishing is as good as it gets in Westport WA! Today our anglers put 47 BIG TUNA. (Easily 23-24 lb average size) on the boat before noon! 1 bait stop! Left the school boiling!!!!
We have just recently had some spots open up this Wednesday 9/6 & 9/7, as well as September 11, 12 ,13
& 26, 27. Misc dates in October avail as well!
Call 253/606/5754 darrell@watuna.com

The part I like is that the SST and chloro conditions on the BC coast look similar to WA coast

Latest Westport Wa news

Don't miss out on the hottest Tuna action of the season! Tuna fishing is as good as it gets in Westport WA! Today our anglers put 47 BIG TUNA. (Easily 23-24 lb average size) on the boat before noon! 1 bait stop! Left the school boiling!!!!
We have just recently had some spots open up this Wednesday 9/6 & 9/7, as well as September 11, 12 ,13
& 26, 27. Misc dates in October avail as well!
Call 253/606/5754 darrell@watuna.com
The Rampage got into some good action too...124 over 2 days. Days off for me are coming up on the 14th hhhmmmmmmmmm

If anyone is heading out off vancouver island and needs someone to help cover expenses, I'd love to give tuna fishing a try. I'm not looking for a guided experience.
Once I get a rundown on gear and techniques I promise to do my best to be a productive member of the crew

If anyone is heading out off vancouver island and needs someone to help cover expenses, I'd love to give tuna fishing a try. I'm not looking for a guided experience.
Once I get a rundown on gear and techniques I promise to do my best to be a productive member of the crew
Pm sent

Ditto! I also have some of my own gear (handlines, clones, lever drag reels with braid that I can add top shot to if needed on halibut sticks). I've only been out for tuna twice, still green.

Back