1st Boat Ever - Advice?

HKSR

Hi, my wife and I are shopping for our 1st boat and would love some advice. We are a family of 4 (two young daughters aged 6 and 4). We're primarily gonna be using this on the east coast of Vancouver Island (we live in Parksville) for general family outings and fishing.

We're gonna likely go with a brand new boat, and I'm almost certain we're gonna go with Silver Streak. Looking at something like the Challenger HT or Carmanah HT.

Any tips or advice on options? There's a ton of them, so would love to get your opinions.

Anyways, we'll start there. Looking to order something within the next couple months here as I'm hearing it could take 6 months or so before delivery.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to SFBC!

A new Silver Streak will be a nice boat...that's a great place to start.

Lots of stuff to read on here. Use the search and look around. Here's a recent thread about another family getting a first boat. Not everything will apply for your situation, but lots of it will

I was out with my son and daughter 4&7 Monday . I'd buy an anchor buddy for heading to shore like we did https://amzn.to/4chJOlX # ad

I'd also work with SS to figure out the best rear steering and throttle solution. It's nice to not have to have a hand on the steering wheel and throttle while helping kids net a fish. Options are often, a rear helm and kicker with throttle, or a lowrance autopilot and kicker with a remote throttle.

I don't know if SS has a cuddy option but they are nice when you have one introvert who wants to color or be on the ipad and another out back fishing.

When I had an 18 the walk through front windshield was nice.

I would say make sure the boat has family friendly seating, comfortable kids and wife makes for a lot more days on the water.
Agreed! Buy a glass boat. Not trying to derail the discussion but I’ve had a few aluminum boats and the comfort of a nice glass haul and a small porta potty is what your young family would appreciate. If you’re ready keen to buy an aluminum hull, make sure the suspension seats are there on day 1. Foldable bench seats are a great bonus for the lake days.

Agreed! Buy a glass boat. Not trying to derail the discussion but I’ve had a few aluminum boats and the comfort of a nice glass haul and a small porta potty is what your young family would appreciate.
I was advised that glass boats are more maintenance than a utilitarian aluminum?

I would say make sure the boat has family friendly seating, comfortable kids and wife makes for a lot more days on the water.

x2 First fish we caught in our new to us boat, we were in a light drizzle and my daughter was asleep 3 feet away inside a warm, dry cabin. Subsequent fish she was colouring at the table. If mom and kids can get comfortable, a lot more fishing will happen. For us, that included the ability to cook and sleep aboard so we could anchor out.

On the vehicle front, its nice if you don't need a vehicle upgrade to deal with towing the boat. Towing means lots of options, including Alberni and Nootka, even if you're mostly east coast VI. Queen Charlotte Strait is only half a tank of gas away if you're towing.

Attachments

• 20200921_071800.jpg
    20200921_071800.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 52
I was advised that glass boats are more maintenance than a utilitarian aluminum?
That’s correct! Like anything in life, there’s a trade off to it. You need to keep the glass shiny and nice. You can get the kids to help with the washing and cleaning. Buff it once a year or hire a mobile guy to do it for you. I personally prefer aluminum for shorter fishing trips or lake days. Lighter hull means easier launch and retrieve and also easier trailering. That also may become an issue when running for longer trips on choppy waters.

That’s correct! Like anything in life, there’s a trade off to it. You need to keep the glass shiny and nice. You can get the kids to help with the washing and cleaning. Buff it once a year or hire a mobile guy to do it for you. I personally prefer aluminum for shorter fishing trips or lake days. Lighter hull means easier launch and retrieve and also easier trailering. That also may become an issue when running for longer trips on choppy waters.
Yeah we don't plan for long trips. I feel it'll be more of an evening and weekend boat. Weekdays are just too busy with work, school, extracurriculars, etc. We just want a safe and solid boat to build some memories as a family in this beautiful part of the world.

If most of your trips are out to beaches, cabins, or everyone on board likes to actively fish - then the 18' SS are likely good bets. However, if you have a more mixed crowd that may just be 'out on the water' with you - I'd look for something a bit larger with a small cuddy (especially for little kids). Smaller aluminum boats are great if you want an easy tow, fast/easy launch, and then rip out to a beach/cabin for the day. If you plan on spending the entire day at anchor inside the boat, the size/spartan interior will wear thin pretty quick.

I love aluminum boats for the reasons you say but would add the following:
-One of the greatest features is that you can beach them without worrying much about the bottom (within reason).
-They are way easier to tow/launch than an equivalent sized glass boat
-They can run faster and more economically with less power. You can get away with a 90 or 115, where other boats would need a 150+

Downsides include:
- much more 'spartan' - you pay a ton extra to get an aluminum boat with the general level of comforts that you get in a lot of mid-level glas boats
- Very seaworthy, but because they are so light they can ride rough
- Cost: a new Silver Streak is going to be start around $100k+ - They currently have an 18ft 2023 Challenger soft top listed in there 'used' section for $90k (plus tax) - looks like a leftover from last year with base specs.

No shame in buying a 'starter' boat. Spend 20% of that new Silver Streak, and have fun for 1-2 years to get your sea legs, learn what you like to do out on the water, and also learn how to launch/operate in something where the stakes are a little lower. A nice 20ft old double eagle with an outboard would fit the bill and you won't lose your shirt on re-sale. Aluminum boats hold more value long term, but they all take the same initial hit of depreciation off the lot.

I think @AndrewH had a Silver Streak ordered a few years back, DM him for some input about the options he got and maybe the one's he wishes he bought. I believe he built his own boat recently but will have good feedback for you.
Great boats and hold their value well which is nice if you decide to up in the next few years as the kids grow

I have a 2021 18ft carmanah hard top, with 115/9.9 linked together, hydraulic steering and a second steering wheel in the back, im going to be listing later this week. im moving back to Alberta and that boat is just overkill for the pike lakes i fish at. if your interested in mine or even just have questions Silver streak in general feel free to PM me. I still need to write up a list of all the extras i got. if you PM me your number i can send pics

Couple of solid listings for you to look at:

Excellent price & equipment, but the soft top might be a deal breaker?

Nice, but seems overpriced especially considering the older e-tec (even though it has super low hours, and is generally a pretty reliable model)

Personally, I'd be all over the Carmanah

1) Make sure you are not underpowered. There should be a "max HP" listed on the plate near the helm. Make sure you are at or very near the max HP. For some reason, I've always had underpowered boats. It doesnt save gas money and comes with a host of frustrations...

2) Like with cars/trucks, be realistic about what you want to pay upfront, then for maintenance and for fuel.

3) Do your research, not just online but also by spending time on boats to see how they perform and what your preferences are.

4) Be realistic about what you want to use the boat for. A boat that handles inside waters and max 2-3 ft chop won't always do well in swell. I now have an 18ft glass boat. It's very smooth on the east side in most normal chop and wind waves, but take her to the west side, and she's a sloppy bobber. The swell and wind waves when trolling or jigging really show how tender a deep-v can be, especially with a short 18ft hull, but she still rides well at full speed in the swell once on plane... which takes a while unless I time the launch perfectly with the swell and am on the trim like a hawk. There's always tradeoffs, just don't go underpowered!!!!

5) Learn about the transom and other important structural areas- how to check for rot and other major warning signs.

6) Always do a test drive on the water, and if it aint right, dont rush to buy.

7) Be prepared to want a different boat within a month of your purchase, then learn how to live with the compromises you made.

Couple of solid listings for you to look at:

Excellent price & equipment, but the soft top might be a deal breaker?

Nice, but seems overpriced especially considering the older e-tec (even though it has super low hours, and is generally a pretty reliable model)

Personally, I'd be all over the Carmanah
I love it, "don't need assistance selling" yet you can't tell if it's a two seater, 4 or 2 and bench seating.

Back to the original post. I would get a quote on a bow mounted trollng motor with spot lock. If your kids like fishing, jigging for cod and salmon with an electric trolling motor may be a good way to go.

3 girls on a boat? Glass boat with a cuddy. Peeing, lying down, privacy, less utilitarian “feel”, Better ride, warmer, rounder edges.
The maintenance thing is overblown. Keep the sun off it when it’s not used.
Double eagle
Juneau
Ranger tug
Campion
Defiance
Parker
Trophy
Etc…
My 2cents

And I LOVE silver streaks

For a first boat, I'd be all over a newer, used glass boat with good power. More selection and better prices, by a factor of 2. The "more maintenance" argument is a myth. Keep any boat under cover for the winter.

I'd be looking at 20+ foot boats with some family comforts for the reasons Pearl Dog and others have noted. Don't underestimate the value of a good trailer, either. Out to the West Coast or North of Comox, a solid trailer is the only way to go. With all the money you've saved, buy yourself a nice, 4 door, 4X tow vehicle.

I love it, "don't need assistance selling" yet you can't tell if it's a two seater, 4 or 2 and bench seating.

Back to the original post. I would get a quote on a bow mounted trollng motor with spot lock. If your kids like fishing, jigging for cod and salmon with an electric trolling motor may be a good way to go.
Indeed, I actually recall seeing this boat for sale previously. I think the owner may have listed it last summer but failed to sell? It looks good, and price seems right - so I wonder what's up. Maybe lack of a trailer really limits the potential pool of buyers (and trailer prices are still insane).

Last edited:
couple more used SS models to consider..

Back