1981 Double Eagle gets a second chance

Floor done and boat inspection for insurance done as well. Just waiting on quotes and coverages to decide who to go with. Also raised the motors one hole.
What model water separators are you running? Gotta pick some for my g2's!

You really knocked it out of the park, amazing restoration. Nice to have the knowledge of everything structural as well as all the systems. Going to make trouble shooting any possible issues so much easier. Well done, enjoy it!

First trip in the boat was good. Second trip not so much but it came together and ended well. The morning started off excellent, loaded up the boat. I installed the downriggers the night before, everything was ready to go I took my dad and a friend out. We left port Alberni heading for Bamfield. We made it about halfway before stopping to do some drone shots. Everything started well did a few runs then again came to a stop noticed that the port motor had stalled when I stopped. Tried several times to start it but it wouldn’t start. It would turn over, but there was no alarms or anything to think. There was something wrong checked. Everything pulled the cowling. Everything looked normal engine didn’t feel hot. Thought OK well let it sit for a few minutes, but at that point, we decided maybe heading all the way to Bamfield wasn’t a good idea, so we figured we would turn around and troll our way back to Port Alberni and see if we could pick up some Sockeye. My brain was working overtime trying to figure out what was wrong with the motor checked all the spark plug connections. Everything seemed tight sounded more like a fuel issue as it wasn’t firing. It was turning over, but it wouldn’t fire , I then had my dad turn over the engine while I manually hit the throttle and it fired right up and I could keep the engine running with giving it a little bit of throttle but soon as I had let off the throttle it would stall few more minutes of racking my brain I realized I could adjust the idle setting so I did that and it fired right up. Ran like a top the rest of the day bad news is we didn’t catch any fish so I guess what was happening was when it was in neutral. It was shutting the fuel completely off soon as I adjusted it to give it a little fuel at start up , it worked great runs like a top. Next trip will be all the way to Bamfield.

Attachments

• IMG_3226.jpeg
    IMG_3226.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3227.jpeg
    IMG_3227.jpeg
    599.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3228.jpeg
    IMG_3228.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3229.jpeg
    IMG_3229.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    335 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3237.jpeg
    IMG_3237.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Looks wicked Dan one thing in the video it’s prob just the angle but I swear the port side motor appears to be slightly higher then the starboard side lol
You are correct. The port engine tilt seems faster than the starboard. It was one of the things I discovered on this trip. I am looking into how I can calibrate them so they are in sync when using the trim button.

You are correct. The port engine tilt seems faster than the starboard. It was one of the things I discovered on this trip. I am looking into how I can calibrate them so they are in sync when using the trim button.
I ran into this issue as well! We'll figure it out haha

First trip in the boat was good. Second trip not so much but it came together and ended well. The morning started off excellent, loaded up the boat. I installed the downriggers the night before, everything was ready to go I took my dad and a friend out. We left port Alberni heading for Bamfield. We made it about halfway before stopping to do some drone shots. Everything started well did a few runs then again came to a stop noticed that the port motor had stalled when I stopped. Tried several times to start it but it wouldn’t start. It would turn over, but there was no alarms or anything to think. There was something wrong checked. Everything pulled the cowling. Everything looked normal engine didn’t feel hot. Thought OK well let it sit for a few minutes, but at that point, we decided maybe heading all the way to Bamfield wasn’t a good idea, so we figured we would turn around and troll our way back to Port Alberni and see if we could pick up some Sockeye. My brain was working overtime trying to figure out what was wrong with the motor checked all the spark plug connections. Everything seemed tight sounded more like a fuel issue as it wasn’t firing. It was turning over, but it wouldn’t fire , I then had my dad turn over the engine while I manually hit the throttle and it fired right up and I could keep the engine running with giving it a little bit of throttle but soon as I had let off the throttle it would stall few more minutes of racking my brain I realized I could adjust the idle setting so I did that and it fired right up. Ran like a top the rest of the day bad news is we didn’t catch any fish so I guess what was happening was when it was in neutral. It was shutting the fuel completely off soon as I adjusted it to give it a little fuel at start up , it worked great runs like a top. Next trip will be all the way to Bamfield.

Nice work trouble shooting on the water. Whenever this happens to me, I get this huge shot of panic adrenaline and can't think straight for a minute. Inevitable its the kill switch lanyard, or the throttle has been bumped slightly so it isn't fully in neutral (lack of a neutral detent on lots of binnacle style throttles really grinds my gears).

Anyway, weird for the idle to fall out of adjustment - I honestly didn't even know you could adjust the idle on a modern fuel injected motor... any reason it came out of adjustment (no spring on the set screw)?

To tell you the truth, I’m only guessing it’s the idle cause it does have an effect but it’s just where the rod attaches to the throttle on the top of the motor you can you have about half an inch of adjustment

Working on rear enclosure to keep all the wiring clean and dry. Still have to add the access doors and some trim.

Attachments

• IMG_3286.jpeg
    IMG_3286.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3287.jpeg
    IMG_3287.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3290.jpeg
    IMG_3290.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3293.jpeg
    IMG_3293.jpeg