Yamaha 50hp, can't get it over 3500rpms

Fizzishin

Sorry if there is already info on this subject, I couldn't find anything after a quick search...

I have a yamy 50hp, recently had fuel lines done and serviced, changed the prop. Also recently ran it near out of gas.

Suddenly, the engine won't go over 3500rpms so I can't get it to plane or a decent speed. Engine runs fine when in neutral but seems to be choking and blub blub blubbing when I put it in gear and try to get to plane.

Not sure if I should try dumping a bottle of seafood in the tank and see if that helps clean out the carb or something. Boatshops obv. closed til Tuesday.

Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting or maybe have had this experience and has an idea of what could be going on?? Thanks for any input.

Thanks guys, primer bulb is in correct direction, not sure what you mean by facing "up"? Going to see if bulb maintains prime

Did you change the prop size by much? Small motors can be sensitive to too big of a prop.
Also, there is a pin holding the metal plunger inside my Mercury 50 fuel pump that has fallen out twice over the years.

Prop size the same. Of course, it just fired up and revved up fine in my driveway now that I have all my gear stripped off the boat.

Had it in neutral for a minute and the central arm started beeping at me, never heard that before or even knew there was a beeping warning thing in the controls.

Prop size the same. Of course, it just fired up and revved up fine in my driveway now that I have all my gear stripped off the boat.

Had it in neutral for a minute and the central arm started beeping at me, never heard that before or even knew there was a beeping warning thing in the controls.
I had this happen recently before I upgraded. Water pump and thermostat replaced but still overheating. It may be the water jacket passages are plugged with salt. Here's the head3496654415704779777.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, quite possible as the motor is 20yrs old and I have been running it for 2 years and not keeping up on my flushing. I just ran vinegar solution in a barrel for 15 minutes and the beeping seems to have gone away. Will take it out on the water before going to the shop and see if things are salvageable.

Sorry if there is already info on this subject, I couldn't find anything after a quick search...

I have a yamy 50hp, recently had fuel lines done and serviced, changed the prop. Also recently ran it near out of gas.

Suddenly, the engine won't go over 3500rpms so I can't get it to plane or a decent speed. Engine runs fine when in neutral but seems to be choking and blub blub blubbing when I put it in gear and try to get to plane.

Not sure if I should try dumping a bottle of seafood in the tank and see if that helps clean out the carb or something. Boatshops obv. closed til Tuesday.

Does anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting or maybe have had this experience and has an idea of what could be going on?? Thanks for any input.
Sea foam not seafood 😂😂

Hmmm, quite possible as the motor is 20yrs old and I have been running it for 2 years and not keeping up on my flushing. I just ran vinegar solution in a barrel for 15 minutes and the beeping seems to have gone away. Will take it out on the water before going to the shop and see if things are salvageable.
Go to a lake ,fresh water much better for that .

Back