WTB $300 000 Boat for $100 000. Serious offers only please.

If you go look at the tiaras take a small ballpeen hammer and knock these the hull around through hulls, same as any boat. There is lots and lots of chatter on pascoe's site and hull thruth about the factory doing a ***** job sealing these up.

Maybe I missed it but how far do you plan on cruising? If you're going to stay in the lower Straits then you can for sure pick one up with gas power and save a ton of cash over diesels...either way, great rigs. I am going down to LGM today and am going to poke around that Tiara in the yard. Check this one, a 3500 open: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/tiara-3500-open-3230896/?refSource=browse listing
Desolation is the goal for longer trips but not necessarily every year. Perfectly happy staying local for the most part. It's the 40 days of fishing sandheads, bowen and thrasher, with just one other guy most times, that's the real kick in the fuel bill. Also because I'm flat out most of those trips o_O:cool:

If you go look at the tiaras take a small ballpeen hammer and knock these the hull around through hulls, same as any boat. There is lots and lots of chatter on pascoe's site and hull thruth about the factory doing a ***** job sealing these up.

Maybe I missed it but how far do you plan on cruising? If you're going to stay in the lower Straits then you can for sure pick one up with gas power and save a ton of cash over diesels...either way, great rigs. I am going down to LGM today and am going to poke around that Tiara in the yard. Check this one, a 3500 open: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001/tiara-3500-open-3230896/?refSource=browse listing
My new slip is a 32' MAX MAX MAX they tell me. They're apparently kicking people out that are fudging it.

My new slip is a 32' MAX MAX MAX they tell me. They're apparently kicking people out that are fudging it.
Your probably looking at a 28 or 29 then. The Searay Sundancer 30 I sent a link to is 33’ 4”. And that might not include a dinghy on the back.

Another reason the commander was amazing. 31.5' LOA with 40' amenities.
Honestly for how you said you are going to use it, 40 days at Sandheads 1 or 2 guys, the Commander 30 is not for you.
You need one guy dedicated to driving up top or inside. So then you either fish by yourself in the back or go with 3 guys which is what I normally do on longer trips. We have an autopilot so can hold course too. On my Sea Sport I had the Garmin TR1 autopilot on my Yamaha 9.9 HT and could fish by myself easily. That thing would hold a straight course in any conditions. If you like fishing by yourself or with one other guy would highly recommend one. Find a $70k or $80k boat and then add new electronics, a kicker with autopilot, high speed Scottie’s and then you’d enjoy your fishing much more.

This is an easy one to fix . A few hung over wake ups in the middle of summer in a little cuddy with your food floating in the cooler because everything has melted and she will see the light. Maybe do some overnight winter prawning trips and freeze her out a bit too and you'll be in a Commander in no time.

This is an easy one to fix . A few hung over wake ups in the middle of summer in a little cuddy with your food floating in the cooler because everything has melted and she will see the light. Maybe do some overnight winter prawning trips and freeze her out a bit too and you'll be in a Commander in no time.
Oh we've experienced the floating food and bloody tetris game of switching from lounging to eating to fishing to prawning. We did 10 days up to desolation and I could have sworn that trip had convinced her. And you're exactly right it's the year round enjoyment that I'm trying to convince her we need to justify paying moorage all year. We go prawning and fishing all winter but she can really only handle a few hours tops.

@Rain City, you need to keep this in mind for your boat choice. General rules of thumb:

Gas engines: 4.3L engine, 8 gallons per hour at cruise. 5.0L 10 gallons per hour at cruise. 5.7L 12 gallons per hour at cruise. 7.4L/8.1L 15 gallons per hour at cruise. Per engine.

Diesel engines: horsepower x .0375 for gallons per hour at cruise. Example: 370hp cummins = 370 *.0375 = 13.8 gallons per hour per engine t cruise.

If you get into a Tiara, most of them are straight shaft inboard boats. When you have straight shaft or V-drive transmission you should take 20% off cruise efficiency vs. legs or outboards. Simpy has to do with drag in the water, as well as the direction of the thrust of the shaft/v-drive not being adjustable with any method of trim.

So if you get into a Tiara with twin 5.7L engines, you can expect to burn about 24 gallons per hour at 25mph. That's 91L x $1.60 per litre = $145.00 per hour at cruise. If you plan to go to Thrasher and back to Vancouver you're looking at $300-400+ just for gasoline on the day.

You have to ask yourself if that kind of fuel burn will make you use your boat less.

I used to run a 42 Tiara w/ twin QSM11 Cummins and burned 40 gallons per hour at 30mph. I was burning $250 per hour, or $600-700 per Thrasher day trip. I stopped using the boat for fishing and only cruised it where the fuel burn could be offset by being away for a few days.

I now run a 42 Lindell that burns 20 gallons at 30mph. $125 per hour. Volvo IPS technology.

At the end of the day you need to ask yourself - are you going to be happy putting $300-400 per day into your boat to go to Thrasher from Vancouver?

Your current boat has a 5.0L so you're burning 10gph at 3600rpm and 12-13gph at 4000rpm.

Food for thought in your decision making process... I see in your last message you are trying to see if you can justify permanent moorage. I suggest to you your fuel burn will be significantly more.

Traditional boat usage is 100 hours per season here. Assume twin 5.7L at 24 gph x 100 hours = 2400 gallons. = 9500 litres approx. = $15,000 in fuel, approx.

@Rain City, you need to keep this in mind for your boat choice. General rules of thumb:

Gas engines: 4.3L engine, 8 gallons per hour at cruise. 5.0L 10 gallons per hour at cruise. 5.7L 12 gallons per hour at cruise. 7.4L/8.1L 15 gallons per hour at cruise. Per engine.

Diesel engines: horsepower x .0375 for gallons per hour at cruise. Example: 370hp cummins = 370 *.0375 = 13.8 gallons per hour per engine t cruise.

If you get into a Tiara, most of them are straight shaft inboard boats. When you have straight shaft or V-drive transmission you should take 20% off cruise efficiency vs. legs or outboards. Simpy has to do with drag in the water, as well as the direction of the thrust of the shaft/v-drive not being adjustable with any method of trim.

So if you get into a Tiara with twin 5.7L engines, you can expect to burn about 24 gallons per hour at 25mph. That's 91L x $1.60 per litre = $145.00 per hour at cruise. If you plan to go to Thrasher and back to Vancouver you're looking at $300-400+ just for gasoline on the day.

You have to ask yourself if that kind of fuel burn will make you use your boat less.

I used to run a 42 Tiara w/ twin QSM11 Cummins and burned 40 gallons per hour at 30mph. I was burning $250 per hour, or $600-700 per Thrasher day trip. I stopped using the boat for fishing and only cruised it where the fuel burn could be offset by being away for a few days.

I now run a 42 Lindell that burns 20 gallons at 30mph. $125 per hour. Volvo IPS technology.

At the end of the day you need to ask yourself - are you going to be happy putting $300-400 per day into your boat to go to Thrasher from Vancouver?

Your current boat has a 5.0L so you're burning 10gph at 3600rpm and 12-13gph at 4000rpm.

Food for thought in your decision making process... I see in your last message you are trying to see if you can justify permanent moorage. I suggest to you your fuel burn will be significantly more.

Traditional boat usage is 100 hours per season here. Assume twin 5.7L at 24 gph x 100 hours = 2400 gallons. = 9500 litres approx. = $15,000 in fuel, approx.
Again another reason we started looking at the commander in the first place. Slower more comfortable cruise, less reason to push it, less fuel. The fuel bill is definitely something that we will consider and something I'll need to convince her is a negligible difference. Twin gas with shafts is my last choice for sure.

i still say that 29' phoenix and update her ...

Go buy the commander and ask for forgiveness later..... She will most likely realize after using it for awhile that it was the right decision

Go buy the commander and ask for forgiveness later..... She will most likely realize after using it for awhile that it was the right decision[/QUOTE]
Or not and you'll be living in your boat at the marina by yourself.:)

After all this were going to have to name it too! Lol

I’ve got it:
MAKE IT RAIN
MAKIN’ IT RAIN

If you get a commander:
ALWAYS IN COMMAND

If you get a tiara
DADDY’S LITTLE PRINCESS

Last edited:
After all this were going to have to name it too! Lol
It has to be Leona Rose. That's my girl's name. Not gunna lie, making sure it was a good boat game did cross my mind when we were deciding lol.

The new checklist:

- built in "lounge" seating on deck (no folding deck chairs)
- table option on deck (collapsible is fine)
- must sleep 4 plus have storage (drop down dinette is fine)
- head with shower
- no longer cares about the level platform inside and out
- doesn't need a big kitchen. She's feeling nostalgic about the "struggle" of outside cooking. I'm cool with that.
- I'd like a fishable deck but it doesn't need to be 60 sq ft. Something with a larger beam but short platform is fine for me.
- NO CANVAS
- not a must but something with easy-ish bow access would be nice. Titties and Fireworks and such.
- 28'-30' (32' LOA max)

My guess is that in a couple years she'll be thinking back to the Commander she didn't want.

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/bod/d/ft-cutwater-c26/6739414458.html

Back