With the value of the Canadian dollar local boat builders must lower prices.

Mighty Sylvan

I love Double Eagle, Hourston, Monaro and Eaglecraft but with the Canadian dollar being so high they must be having a hard time selling boats. For less than a 17.5 Double Eagle a guy can buy a used, quality offshore boat up to 26 or feet or more. What are your thoughts?

Just got signed back in after having password problems for a long time. i think your right that new boat sales are tougher with all the used boats in the US. however I just ordered a Double Eagle 206 ext After looking around at all the other options, I found the 206 to offer more and be a pretty not bad value for what you get, the stripers seasports and dorys, arimas, Campion I found the US boats in the same 20 foot range were similar prices but the 206 offers more space and having a hardtop over four seats is available from C dory and Campion but they both have much narrower beams and narrower cabins. So I think that new boat sales are tough considering the cheap used boats in the states. I guess you could argue new boats are cheaper in the US too. the thing saving the Canadian companies is the boats they make are solid and made for what we want around here, could have definitely saved some money but paid a little more to get what I wanted new, I'm happy to support a Canadian company and get the boat I want for the next 20 years. You're right with the high Canadian dollar the international sales are way down, if DE, Hourston and Eaglecraft were exporting alot of boat to the US 10 years ago, they aren't anymore.

prices are starting to come down on used. I've been suffering 4 footitis for about 6 months...just found the one I've been looking for and it's in Sidney at a comparable price to what they are down south.

Great boat Mr. Killer! I think you made the best argument for the local builders when you say your happy to support local companies. I think those manufactures also have our waters figured out too. Sharp entries and high degree of dead rise.

D of F, I think your right. I shouldn't keep looking but I still do and I see great prices locally. I have 4 footitis too but with rising gas prices it might be down 4 feet. haha

Another thing I thought to add. I wonder if the value in the local boats would more obvious if the boat "packages" were advertised as boat, motor, and trailer prices individually? I think (and I could be wrong) that if I guy priced each item individually and took advantages of non-current model years at sale times such as the boat shows one could save perhaps thousands on each? Even the canvas could be priced on its own.

I really don't think the US market for new boats is there right now at any price. If you don't have a job, or have walked away from your mortgage...a boat isn't on the shopping list. Hotel deals, fishing lodge deals, etc etc aren't working either at luring US tourists back up here for the same reason. Money isn't being spent at any price.

Back