winter springs off Sooke unbelieveable

quote:
Humpbacks were out yesterday still tonnes of fish . Sooke is on fire .

Codfish out.

dy
Geuss they'll be smoked salmon then.or bbq'd

it must be something in the water

Is anybody considering other options for Sooke launching other than Sunny Shores? I would think that some developer would be trying to put something together with a marina and launch facility. I think that area where the log camp used to be at Butler road would be a nice place to put such a place. A small breakwater is already there as well.

What has been the most successful depth out there at the bluffs??? At the bottom, off the bottom, way deep - 1/2 way up???

Never fished winters and the way this weekend is shaping up, may try to get out....

TIA
dave

Right on the bottom in 100-185 feet of water usually is best! Go down until yer balls hit the mud, come up a few feet and troll with a close eye on the sounder, making sure you stay just off the bottom. Squirts and spoons seem to be the meat ticket. Good luck !!!

Talk too wolf when he returns from hunting he's 'simply the best!"

Just Bring it!

Talk too wolf when he returns from hunting he's 'simply the best!"

Just Bring it!

There is a ramp right next door to Sooke Marina. He's got signs up now.

Joe's Dock or Jack's Dock...sorry I forget which.

Edited by - Bish on 11/18/2005 22:08:13

The masses are certainly scrapping bottom but I find the teenies and twenties are often hunting away from the pack in the midwater ranges. This sets up well for stacking.

was out on Friday , only trolled for an hour and a half with a small spoon , got nothing. Just near cheannuh marina. Saw a guy at the dock with about an 8 lb salmon and he said it was the only fish he got all morning, at whirl bay.

oh, yeah we jigged for a couple of hours for rockfish (my friend is chinese lol...) Got one small rockfish and I brought him up very slow and let him rest stop on the way up. He seemed to be fine from 70 feet down. Gov't of Canada says to 'keep them if they are below 40 feet' but I think he was fine. My friend kept one med. size rockfish. Any ideas how old it would be?

thanks
Michael

no salmon jigging either! we were in about 70 -80 feet near fraiser, the bedfords.

quote:
There is a ramp right next door to Sooke Marina. He's got signs up now.

Joe's Dock or Jack's Dock...sorry I forget which.

Edited by - Bish on 11/18/2005 22:08:13

Stopped by Sooke Marina ystrdy... Larry & Darlene are gone to Arizona; handyman says the ramp will be open at least until the end of this month, maybe longer - need to check before u go. 4 or 5 boats off the Bluffs yestrdy; next door ramp is Jock's Dock.

Edited by - goalie on 11/22/2005 08:18:25

Hoping to try getting out there again for this weekend - curious - fishing at these depths down here, how are the currents? I found fishing deep in Campbell River, I'd get into a huge hastle with my prop (yes, I can buy the prop cover, but haven't!)...I'd find unless I just fish one side, I'd often get hooked up - not fun.

Is this an issue at the bluffs, or are the currents much more mellow and I should be able to safely run 2 balls? There is only a 2' tide change for Sat am, so I'm assuming it will probably be ok....correct?

TIA

Back