Will 130Hp be enough?

Claunder

Hey all,

Been looking for power for my 185 DE pod project for a while now and have stumbled across a good looking 130hp Honda. I’m curious if it will be enough to push my boat. I always imagined a 150hp but they are hard to find. I also keep seeing 185 outboard models pop up for sale with 115’s so I would think 130 should be good. Let me know if I’m crazy

Hey all,

Been looking for power for my 185 DE pod project for a while now and have stumbled across a good looking 130hp Honda. I’m curious if it will be enough to push my boat. I always imagined a 150hp but they are hard to find. I also keep seeing 185 outboard models pop up for sale with 115’s so I would think 130 should be good. Let me know if I’m crazy
I run a 16 footer w a 70 2 stroke. Put on a foil and shell go like a stabbed rat!

130 should be lots, prop it right and no issues. Not going to have a speed demon but will get out of the hole and plane easily. Running speed will be 22-24 mph top speed low to mid 30’s IMO

Same as what he said. I ran a 135hp Merc 3.0 inboard on my malibu 185 for years before podding to a 150hp. It wasn't fastest but it was never way underpowdered.

22-24mph cruise was pretty bang on what I used to use it at. Loaded with a few people.

From a guy who likes big power on small boats I ran a 140hp on a 17.6” and can tell you whatever you choose it will never enough.

Hey all,

Consider the maximum power rating for the boat as well, as this is a potential insurance issue

I put a 115 HP on my Campion 542, different boat but goes plenty fast for me and gets up on plane quickly. Older 542, 1998. Might not be enough power on the newer versions.

130 Etec on my 19.5 Lund fibreglass runabout hull, 7'6 beam. 15x17 prop. Loaded with two batteries, downriggers and cannonballs, 9.9 kicker, main tank in bow, aux tank in transom. Runs out to 40 mph @ 5600 rpm (solo), cruises 30-32 mpg @3.5 - 4.0 mpg.

Mine is probably slightly lighter hull than the DE 18.5, but a 130 should be good on that hull. A two stroke will deliver better torque out of the hole. Whether you go 4 stroke or not, both need to be correctly mounted, propped and trimmed for best performance.

Back