Wildthings pilot house top build

wildthing

will due to me wanting to go winter fishing and would love a 24' seasport
just have not got any where near to getting one i thought i would stick with what i have
and build myself a sit on/bolt on pilot house

and would share the project pics as i go along
as my glass tee top and vinyl curtains have seen better days.

the ply is going to be fiber glassed over then gel coated so not sure if to color it and nice deep red
or try match the off white almond color of the original gel coat .

the glass panels i got second hand for $250 and the ply was stuff i had laying around.

so should be able to get this done for around a $1000 materials and my own time
then end up comfy for the winter times

IMAG0584.jpgIMAG0586.jpgIMAG0588.jpgIMAG0589.jpgIMG_1354.jpg

That's frickin awesome! That will be a nice improvement to the boat. I love threads like this. Keep the pics coming!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be keeping a eye on this thanks for posting and I think you will love the pilot house!

great find on the windows!

If you are handy a pilothouse build can be done affordably. My aluminum cabin cost a little more than $1000, but thats largely in part to the glass cost of $800.

Great work thus far, look forward to following your progress.

I hope you are using marine grade plywood (waterproof glue, no voids) as opposed to std. exterior grade plywood (which will have voids) or worse yet, interior grade plywood (voids and no waterproof glue). If not, I'd invest the extra $'s in buying some good marine grade plywood. The cost of the fiberglass and epoxy will soon exceed the cost of the plywood and the value of your labor will also be high. So you want to make sure you protect both of those investments by using good plywood from the start.

I just finished a custom top built on my bayliner trophy. Originally thought of using plywood and fibreglass but I came across a new product I hadn't ever seen called King Starboard a marine-grade polymer. I found it extremely easy to work with, cut/drill,bend and it is completely resistant to rotting or splitting but was super easy to use wood tools with. Check out the link to the video too. http://www.ippnet.com/plastics/construction-materials/king-starboard.html

I just finished a custom top built on my bayliner trophy. Originally thought of using plywood and fibreglass but I came across a new product I hadn't ever seen called King Starboard a marine-grade polymer. I found it extremely easy to work with, cut/drill,bend and it is completely resistant to rotting or splitting but was super easy to use wood tools with. Check out the link to the video too. http://www.ippnet.com/plastics/construction-materials/king-starboard.html

It would be great to see some photos of this project...that material looks pretty interesting based on the link provided...

It would be great to see some photos of this project...that material looks pretty interesting based on the link provided...
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

These photos were just after mounting the sheet before rounding the corners off. I mounted it to the existing stock aluminum tube frame from the original canvas top using plastic 1/2" conduit straps and 1/4"stainless hardware with rubber/stainless washers on top. I had to brace the tube frame up to the front windshield corners. It worked out really good and launched the boat yesterday and the test drive went extremely well. Total cost under $200!!!
Sorry for the thread hijack wildthing. Cheers

Nice looking project wildthing. And exterior grade plywood is absolutely fine for this purpose if you are going to fiberglass over top. Just be sure to coat the wood with a layer of resin to seal it up before glassing. The same would be needed with marine grade plywood. Epoxy these days is so strong you could build a frame out of Styrofoam if you wanted to.

You might want to leave a bit of room at the top of your windows to mount wipers for the windows and also a solid piece across the top to mount electronics,lights and mounting spots for a roof rack. Just for down the road mounting spots. Looks good and should add some value to your boat not to mention comfort.

Thanks guys

i do have a friend who's a fiber glass guy so will get a helping had laying it up

and yep have a console going in the top and will leave room for the wipers thanks on that one casper

Back