Who's got the crystal ball here?

B

blueorca

So, here is MY question of the year.....
What do you think the state of the oceans are going to be in 5 or 10 or even 20 years from now.
We have some seemingly intelligent people on this forum, so I'm all ears.
Switching gears from fishing to health care was a good choice I think.

boc

I started fishing in Sooke 45 years ago this summer,it saddens me to see the continual decline since then,but I have noticed in the last few years that more and more people are becoming aware of the problems and are trying to take action.Hopefully these people will make a difference and we can turn the damage around.Unfortunately I think my generation is on the tail end of the good times.We are just to efficent of a preadator.Gosh Paul, in 20 years I hope we can turn it around,I think the next few years is going to be critical in deciding it.The thread about the live herring off of Campbell River I remember that,its gone,my dad catching a 59 lb spring at Willow point,gone,My uncle and dad at the bottom of constance street in esquimalt with a 40 lb ling cod caught on one of those old green handlines,gone,Nahmint bay, any of you old timers remember that, its just slowly but surely slipping away from us.Dan

wall to wall boats fishing the mouth of cowichan river for spawning black spring salmon- gone. seine and gillnetters catching everything putting up a wall at renfrew no fish could get through- gone. catching and releasing 25 or 40 winter springs in one day gone.huge halibut off victoria oak bay right out there.take everything before the next guy, going. oppportunity to fish right there. along with easy access. realization that we dont live in a wilderness coming. conservation , coming. hatcheries coming, lots of great things soon. the new generation will demand it as we should.sport fisherman are being recognized as a major economic force may be we should have a salmon unlimited like ducks do. i see the futureof fishing as improving.

Back