When is it time to find a new fishing/hunting friend?

The older one get's..the more people they loose.
That be said...I am sure that i'm not the only one that has had to deal with this problem?
You work hard to get all the thing's in life ...for what it's worth....then realize..your wife isn't comfortable about you going out on your own anymore.
Don't get me wrong...I am very well self sufficiant.
I hunt by myself with my dog on the quad..camper on the truck...good fire fire pit...life is good.
After hunting and fishing with someone for so long...then there not there..how does one fill the void?
My son...Fisher_Dude..has a new wife and a life of his own now...they are a hunting/fishing force to be only wished for by a parent.
Do you take on a new older person that is set in there ways as well as you...or do you take on a new young one that needs to learn?
I do have boat that has been changed for fishing/gran kids play boat as well.
Still nice to have someone else there tho that can share costs and enjoy good company?
I would love to here any thoughts about this dilema?

Replacing a long time fishing or hunting partner is never easy!! As one gets older it becomes a fact of life that you may be the last guy standing. I lost my fishing partner 5 years ago and it has meant a reduction in the number of times I fish the WCVI. I doubt I will ever find a guy who could or would go as often as my old partner but I have managed to find a few friends who will go occasionally. So now I don't always go with the same guy/s but I do go. Planning is more difficult because they have social obligations!! I am always on the look-out for new guys that are compatible and able to get along with other crew mates but you have to be patient! The close quarters of a boat or a camper is not the time to find out that you don't get along. Good luck to you in your quest

This site has been a pretty good way to connect with others. You can usually get a decent idea of what a person is like by their posts.

A couple of my very best fishing buddies have come by way of the forum. Of course, I've also met a few douchebags, but hey! That's life and I'm not everyones cup of tea either!!

Either way, good luck with your quest, you are equipped and have knowledge so it will sort itself out. Just beware of boat ******!! LOL

I vote for taking a younger person who needs to learn! (mabey because I am a younger person that needs to learn) (well not that young) I realized after growing on on this magical blessed coast I have to fish! And from reading the doom and gloom and days are numbered I thought ive waited long enough and better hurry.

I thought my boyfriend of 15 yrs would be my fishing partner. Its just not working. Our work schedules never workout, hali tides or weather... 2 days for hail since it opened this year and 0 for salmon, 0 for prawns. I bought my own boat I have my own truck to pull it. I have lots of friends who want to go fishing but no one knows anything about boats or being on the water. After I learn I dont mind taking on a new partner but now I need someone who knows what they are doing and how to fix something or drive a boat if bad weather comes up cuase I know I suck. Everyday I think about how I can find someone. I dont want someone who thinks they can boss me around either. I almost need someone who also has a boat and take turns. They can boss me around on there boat and I can boss them around on my boat. Well not boss around but go to 'that' spot at 'that' depth with 'that' gear etc. I think it will come down to compatibility. If your retired then someone in the same boat (lol) is more likely to work. But gungho enthusiam is great too. Good luck! I know how hard it is! ps if anyone will let a girl on there boat or are a nice person who knows there **** pm me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its funny how difficult it is to find a good "partner" for fishing adventures. I have been fortunate to have a few good friends over the years who were as enthusiastic about fishing and hunting as I am, and I really thought it would get easier to get these guys out as their kids grew up and they had more time, but it seems quite the opposite has happened. I find now that I am taking out "part-timers" - people who think they want to go fishing, but what they really want to do is be guided into the next fish. I have learned to recognize the truly enthusiastic when I see them. They never stop asking pertinent detailed questions about methods, gear and technique and they want to learn how to handle the gear, the downriggers and the helm. They want to pay for the gas and want to actively help in the launch and retrieve of the boat. The "tourists" want to know how where lunch is and why is it so rough out. It also seems that they are always the ones who balk at the idea of paying for their fair share of the gas and want to know why it is so expensive.

I also have found that I am extremely lucky in my collection of toys (boats, trucks, houses etc.) and now that I have them all, there are less truly enthusastic people who I can share them with.

Fin Addict you have hit on a major stumbling block to WCVI fishing-how rough it can be and expensive. Everyone wants to go on the trip of a lifetime but offering 50 bucks "to help with the Gas" on a 3 day Winter Harbour trip just doesn't cut it!! You have to be up front and frank about costs, weather ,swell height etc. so that there are no surprises. Before I took a new guy on a west coast trip- I would go out for a day locally and think about it. The wrong companion on a West coast trip could turn it into a nightmare you won't soon forget. Osama is right -this ( Forum) is a good place to meet guys (gals) who share the same interests-maybe fish and game clubs also-I'd stay away from PETA meetings though-poor recruiting ground IMHO. LOL

You can't be too careful picking a fishing buddy/budette......

Everybody wants to go fishing......most of them have no idea about fishing,regs, running a boat, what to do in an emergency......or anything else. And many of the older ones, if they fell in the water , would die pretty quick because they are so damned overweight and out of shape.
Most have never taken a personal "hurl" evaluation......five minutes out of the dock and up comes the breakfast.....

They can't tie fishing knots, they can't rig their lines.....they can't do anything except shine at being a pain in the a**

And I'm not even talking about paying charter guests.....

I think if your serious enough about finding a fishing partner, the right one will pop up.., Of course not everyone is going to have knowledge of fishing, sometimes you have to bite your lip and teach a little bit, heck the other day i was setting out my prawntraps when two nice ladies started circling my boat to ask me how to clip the release on the downrigger, i chuckled a bit but after several laps around my boat i showed them how in fact to attach the downrigger release to the deepline and how to lossen the drag on the rod while you are lowering it. After awhile i thought, heck i guess somebody had to show me once..Not everyone is a fishing guide but with a little assistance from a friend , everyone can enjoy fishing, boating and having a generally good day on the water.I think the hardest thing to learn is patience.. i know there is some very talented fishing people on this site.. alot of them have been fishing and guiding a long time.. When it comes to pitching in for gas,food,gear etc etc.. it is a given that everyone in the boat has to split up the cost.. nothing about boating is free.. if they are not ready and willing to help split up the cost most people would agree here that the cheap person would probably not be making a second trip. "this boat don't run on thanks"...Anyone who cannot understand that statement can probably go ahead and start looking at charter rates..

Many of the "great" fisherpeople have their own boats already. Maybe it would be better to look for persons that can "trip swap"...that is, they go out with you for a trip and then you go out with them for a trip etc., splitting costs per trip.

Maybe a sticky thread where a person can post that wants to go out also.....

Alpha males make good fishermen..... but two strong alphas on the same boat is trouble unless a good manager knows when to let others lead. I'm fortunate to have friends that fit the spectrum of personalities. Some are fishermen to the core and some are not. When you take someone fishing in your boat sometimes you need to let them fish. That means the hunting part of fishing, what spot, depth and lure. After all they want to fish too. You probably fish a lot with your own tactics be it bait, spoon, plug or rubber but I find having someone on board that is well versed in another ups your chance of success.

This site is a great place to find fishing partners but you can find many more at you local enhancement project.

This is a great thread. Some forums have a sticky thread for open seats. I know the black and red site uses this function quite a bit and lot's of people have met and become fishing buddies because of it. Day trips usually are best for finding folks that are like minded and compatible partners. The cost thing can be a pain with some folks but they usually don't get asked to come along if they cheap out too many times lol. "This boat runs on gas......not thanks".

I've been accused in the past of being too intense at times while fishing. I have toned it down quite a bit over the years and like to step back and enjoy the whole experience rather than just the fishing part. I have met some great friends on this forum and get to fish with them a few times a year. Fishing is supposed to be fun :).

My most "willing to fish, at any costs" buddy, came from this forum. I am fairly easy going and am willing to put myself out there. He was local to me, clearly loved to fish, and drank beer. A fishing relationship was born. It just took reaching out, and putting any embarrassment behind me of picking up fishing dudes online haha. Since doing so I've learned this place is not just good, but great for meeting like-minded people.

Just like anything in life, serious fishing needs commitment. Whether it is putting in your time, gearing up the boat the night before, pulling your own weight as far as costs, and there are lots of costs...it all boils down to how committed are you and the person you hope is as committed as you. Its no fun contending with a less than serious fisherman.

Finaddict nailed it 10 x over, great post.

I will take out people just for the fun of it and to share the experience or just to have someone to go with! Unless they want to make a big run out far or use all my gear everytime... It dosnt really cost me that much. I think gas costs are muuch different for people. It costs me about 30 bucks for a 15 min rip each way and a 5 hour troll. I guess that not usual?

I found a seat on a boat but he says gas is 100 bucks an hour, split how ever many ways. Not a guy from here. I was a little shocked.

I will take out people just for the fun of it and to share the experience or just to have someone to go with! Unless they want to make a big run out far or use all my gear everytime... It dosnt really cost me that much. I think gas costs are muuch different for people. It costs me about 30 bucks for a 15 min rip each way and a 5 hour troll. I guess that not usual?

I found a seat on a boat but he says gas is 100 bucks an hour, split how ever many ways. Not a guy from here. I was a little shocked.

While that seems a little steep, my boat burns 10 gals/hr @ $6.00/gallon plus about $28/hr in maintenance/upkeep costs so do the math.....

There's a lot to be said for fishing alone.

I took my GF's brother to Uke several season's ago. The day we arrived I asked him if he'd ever helped launch a boat before. Yeah,yeah, yeah---like he's insulted I would ask. Of course he had. So we're launching off Seaplane Base Rd --I'm in the boat on the trailer, boat's unhitchded, tie-down straps removed, he's backing up my truck at a rapid clip but at least he's going straight and just when we're about five feet from the edge of the water he slams on the brakes. Like majorly pops the chutes on my truck, hard enough where the boat almost broke free of the rollers and ended up on the concrete! Nothing like a 7,000 lb boat falling off a trailer when it's still high and dry

I come unglued. I'm spluttering---WTF??? He takes it personally, hops out of my truck and is just about ready to ball his hands up into fists to protect his good name and virility which apparently, I'd called into question when I insulted his boat-launching skills

So I politely ask him to step aside, launch the boat myself like I've done 200 times before, and meet him over at Islands West. We get out on the water the next day and he starts breaking his plugs off on springs, one after another. I'd told him to get minimum 30 to 40 lb test---he showed up with 20 lb test. After breaking off 3 or 4 plugs he asks me if he can borrow my plugs. We're in a major bite, I can't just say "no", so I tie some of my 40 lb test on the plug (one of my best plugs!) and attach it to his 20 lb test crappy line thinking ---at least he won't break this plug off at the knot---he promptly hooks another spring and proceeds to breaks that one off, too, --- he had the drag cranked down tight as it would go.

So on the last night, I decide to pull out at Islands West in the dark so I don't have to compete with the guys heading out in the AM. I ask him to stand by the trailer on the launch while I go and get the boat. I'm edging the boat in towards the trailer and I lean out the wheelhouse window and ask him to walk out on the tongue and grab the bow line. He refuses. I ain't getting wet for your boat, he says. I tell him he won't get wet---the tongue is high and dry and he can steady himself on the winch tower. I do that all the timer, I tell him . He basically says F.U.---- so I am forced to use the main engine to guide me on to the trailer---I leave it in gear so I can hop over the bow and tie her up. While all this is happening I know it's a low tide, maybe a minus tide and sure enough, I hear that wonderful sound of aluminum on concrete. $ 150 prop destroyed.

So as we're driving home the next day I'm telling myself-- that's it. No more people on the boat. It'll be just me and the dog.

So last September a guy helps me put new bearings and disc brakes on my trailer--- I pay him and offer to take him fishing in exchange for his help. The guy chain smokes Marlboros so I tell him---when we're out on the boat, zero smoking, agreed? Sure he says. Done deal. So we get out on the water and he hooks a coho. We get it in the boat, he's all excited, and shoves a cig in his mouth and starts to light it. No dice, sez I. We had a deal, remember?

WTF sez he. Just one, ok? Look, we had a deal I remind him. I'll take you back to the dock right now and you can smoke on the dock. He gets all ***** and sulks for the rest of the trip and I just want him off the boat at that point, mainly because he showed up without a license or a punch card and when I said what's up with that, he launches into a tirade about the Freaking Greedy State and why should he get a license and a punch card when the fish belong to everybody etc etc

Not trying to hi-jack a thread here. Fishing is a real personal thing for me. I don't necessarily hang around water to socialize but I enjoy good company and sharing fine experiences.

I just got back from 7 days alone out in the woods drifting a river and camping in the rainforest. It's a problem-solving deal for me--relying on my wits and my past experience on how to get things done in a safe way. People say--you go alone---are you nuts?

I did a Spider Island trip last year alone---just me and the dog. I had a magic moment coming out of Miles Inlet one morning, the morning I chose to bust my Cape Caution move. It was a cruddy day, a bit blowy, but the tide was right for going past Slingsby. As I came out of Miles another boat came out behind me and passed me by going balls to the wall. I thought he was going to Bremner but he kept on going ---it became clear he was heading for Rivers Inlet just like I was

I tried to hail him on the radio, thought I'd ask if he minded running with someone. You know, for safety in numbers? No answer on any channel; then I felt a bit stupid yammering on a dead radio. Just shut up and rely on your own wits and experience I told myself. You waited for the right tide, you studied the weather. You don't need any hand-holding.

I think maybe finding a true golden fishing buddy who you trust and who knows how to behave in tight quarters is like finding a good women. They're rare and when you do find one, hang on to him (or her) because there's not a lot of good ones out there.

There's definitely safety in numbers (and sharing experiences is cool and sharing expenses is a big help). But sometimes the aggravation that comes with having close company is too high a price to pay and we come to find out that relying on our lonesome selves turns out to be a more enriching move that in the long run, builds stronger character.

Well I must admit there are some very good points to consider. Some of which I never even thought of. You get so set in your ways sometimes that you just take things for granted that that's just the way things are?
For the time being I guess it will be me and the dog and the better half when she can.
Going to be at Pedder Bay the last week of July first week of Aug....just look for a wolf hybrid with a life jacket on and say hey.
Thanks for all the replies..makes for an interesting read.

Tim

sharphooks, I have to say I have had similar experiences and now do most of my fishing (and hunting) on my own. It's just not worth the hassle of dealing with people who either claim that they know what they are doing but really have no clue or those that don't care to learn how to do their share.

Or worse, the people who show up with the wrong clothes, and/or no license, even when you gave them explicit instructions on what was necessary.

I only get so many days a year to be on the water or in the bush, having those precious days ruined by someone who is always, wet, cold, unprepared, complaining, etc, just isn't worth the little bit of company or cost sharing.

Maybe I am an ornery, solitary grump - but I've learned that the best outings are usually just me and the dog.

Back