What vp prop for 23 Hourston

candrive55

Hey guys. Long time lurker first time poster.
Just about to get my 23 Hourston wet for the first time. And wondering what guys are running for a prop on there volvo leg.

And oh I am also looking for a volvo penta tilt locking PIN. Keeps the leg from coming up when backing up

Need to know what engine etc its not that simple of a thing you need to know what the engine is whats its WOT and the leg? 270.280 290 or 290 duo prop lots of factor not something that is generic...

I may be able to help if i have that info there is a lot of guys on here with great info..

Good luck Wolf

I have a 15x17 reg hub. Will work, good back-up if nothing else.
Has not been mounted since it was re&re'd ($100.00, Rev Prop Shop) a couple of years ago.
Don't need it, don't know why I still have it. $75.00 or interesting trades may be entertained.

MAN sorry was going to look on my boat today at the chart for WOT for you for a 350 chev but if rember serves me right I think WOT is inbetween 4000 and 4500 RPM and I personally like the higher side because it gives you more hole shot , and if there is a lot of weight on the boat (4 guys and gear etc).

I ll try and remeber tommorow

good luck Wolf

hello again guys. So running a 15x15 prop on the 350/270 combo. Rpm max out at 3500. top speed about 26 mph.
Did you ever look at yours wolf.
Thanks

Yes RPM are suposed to be in the 3900 to 4400 range id say your to high pitched of a prop how is it out of the whole???

"out of the hole" Thats a tuff one had a 18 hourston before this so can only compare to that. This 23 feels like a tug boat. So if one was to do the trial and error thing . Would a 15x17 be the next to try??... and oh I have props for trade lol

Would a 15x17 be the next to try??... and oh I have props for trade lol

You want to reduce the prop pitch not increase it. So you would be looking for a 13p or 14p prop not a 17p.

When you reduce the pitch of a prop it has the same effect as shifting to a lower gear in your truck.

A 4 blade prop will help give you a better hole shot and cruise speed. If you only reach 3900RPM with a 15p then I would try a 13p 4 blade aluminum prop.

Don't worry about the diameter of the prop (the first number in the 15x15 size). Look for a 4-blade, high-rake, stern lifting prop like the solas amita. They're inexpensive and perform very well.

Oh ok anyone got a 15x13 volvo penta short hub prop. As a note I have talked to some other guys with the 23 hourstons seems they are using a 15x 16 and 15x 17.
I wonder if I got some other problems going on

Alot depends on the gearing f the leg as well you wont know till its apart and count the gears etc... you never kknow what some people will throw together ttry that prop and see where that goes same with the other one you want to record EVERYTHING speed,RPM ay WOT and any notes you notice and then look back at whats going on

Good luck I know fun isnt it!!!

Wolf

Back