What to do about stiff windows.

Sea lyin’

As title says, my side windows are stiff and hard to open. The rubbers/felts are there and in decent shape but are stiff from age and won’t allow my windows to slide open without some serious pushing amd pulling. What’re you using to keep yours flexible and allow the windows to move freely?

As title says, my side windows are stiff and hard to open. The rubbers/felts are there and in decent shape but are stiff from age and won’t allow my windows to slide open without some serious pushing amd pulling. What’re you using to keep yours flexible and allow the windows to move freely?
I have used teflon spray-be careful with the application-makes the glass a mess if spread all over. If you can try just in the track and brushes.. Important to clean the track first with warm soap and water-let dry and spray carefully!

I have used teflon spray-be careful with the application-makes the glass a mess if spread all over. If you can try just in the track and brushes.. Important to clean the track first with warm soap and water-let dry and spray carefully!
Thanks for the quick response. I’m on that right now. Small air compressor and blowing out the tracks and I’ll look at some Teflon spray

I have found they get stiff due to salt and grunge.
Like most work, good prep will give the best chance at a good result.

I have used silicone spray, sparingly, seemed to work.
I think I would get into too much trouble if I had a can of teflon spray!!

Dry graphite lube or try this Teflon wd40 spray

Attachments

• 0676B4A0-0BE2-485F-8C80-F03843BE274D.png
    0676B4A0-0BE2-485F-8C80-F03843BE274D.png
    392.5 KB · Views: 11
Air compressor very effective but pretty messy. I recommend not using one. Lol

Wife suggested trying to clean the tracks with her pump up garden sprayer. This worked way better than expected. Still need a lot of rags but I was able to flush out a lot of crud. I sprayed under the leading edge of window until the water running out of the drain slots was clear and kept sliding it back and forth until it’s moving freely now. Still time to do the other side before supper

We used silicone spray but it did not help much until after a week, then they slid almost like new. The felts were very dry, took awhile to soften and loosen up the close tolerances. Yes a bit of a mess but once they are working, get in there and clean the glass.

Dry graphite lube or try this Teflon wd40 spray
@cory_lax is on point with the dry graphite. dont use anything with an oil base, it will just attract more dirt. Just clean them very thoughly and if need be apply some dry graphite lube.

Back