What kind of shark?

• Thread starter Thread starter Moosehead
  • Start date Start date
M

Moosehead

Hi all. I was fishing in the Queen Charlotte Islands on the weekend and as a 10 lb. coho salmon was being landed, it was attacked by a shark right beside the boat. The captain of our boat had never seen a shark in those waters and was stumped as to what kind it might have been. It was approximately 5-6 feet long, with a skinny body, and a long pointed tip on the top of its tail. It appeared to be rather bluish in colour but that might have just been the water. This was sighted near Rennell Sound on the West coast of the Queen Charlottes.

As a follow-up, we managed to land the salmon and then promptly through a herring-baited hook back into the water. The shark took it, but without a wire leader, it snapped the line immediately. Anybody know what kind of shark this might have been? Just wondering...

Definitly a blue shark. Saw lots of those off the west charlottes when i was working one a dragger and saw lots offshore tuna fishing.

You're right. I just looked at some pictures of blues and salmon sharks and it was definitely a blue. Same long skinny body and long pointy tail. Thanks guys.

Good description of the beast here. Quite an appetite as well.

keith

keith

they are everywhere up there quite a nuiscance, couldnt hit bottom hali fishiing one time.....now they have been joined by the humbolt squid

Back