What IS the length of a boat.

Birdsnest

Seems like a silly question but ever since I received my 22 weldcraft I have been a bit confused about boat length because weldcraft lists length from the bow to the inside of the transom. It is 24 inches to the back outside wall of my transom and then another 24 inches to the back of the swim grid then the motor hangs out another 20 some inches. So what is the length??? My best guess would be to the back of the transom but I just never had the discussion with anyone before. As it stand now, every time I hear a boat length I,m thinkin plus or minus 4 feet.

From the basic boating course...
"A motor boat is measured along its centerline from the outside of the hull aft to the outside of the hull forward. This measurement does not include any attachments such as swim platforms, outboard motors, bow sprits, etc. This measurement is called the length overall (LOA). You may also hear the term length of waterline or load waterline (LWL). This is the length of the boat, parallel to its centerline, at the line where it meets the water."
Note that if a swim platform is integrated into the hull design it is not considered an "attachment" and thus would be considered as part of the LOA. Similarly a pod is not considered part of the hull and would not be considered in the LOA measurement.

Here's a helpful link: http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/publications/determininglength.pdf

My boat is called an Edwing Ocean 23. She is 23' from bow to outside of transom. The pod and swim grid add another 2'. I usually go by the23' designation. I seem to recall some of those production aluminums have some weird measurements from the ones advertised. Usually they are longer than listed.

Comparing the sizes of two advertized 22' WA's with outboards, just for example, can be like comparing apples and oranges. They can have two quite different 'taped' measurements.
If one has a swim platform integrated into the hull and with a bow pulpit built/integrated into the hull , this is usually included in advertized 22' hull length/LOA (as stated in an earlier post above) and compare that with another 22' WA that has an attached swim platform, attached pod and bow pulpit, where the attachements in this case are not included in 22' LOA. The latter hull will have more "useable" length or volume of space to use. This is because with the latter hull example, none of that 22' length is being used to provide for the swim platform and bow pulpit.

An example of the latter type of 22' WA hull would be my Grady 228 (Pod) Seafarer - platform/pod and pulpit are not included in advertized 22' hull. Taped out my 22' hull is 28.5' with attached swim platform/pod/motor(down) and pulpit. The drawback is of course the slip size needed and moorage costs as the charges are based on a 'taped' measurement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. Thanks for the reply's. Guess it is what it is. How long is my boat? 22 24 26 28 and 30.
22 is the list length by the factory and 30 is if I am paying for it on the ferry.
There, simple isn't it. Lol.

In Canada the Length Over All "LOA" is the norm, so that all in is the measurement from the bow to the furthest point aft, including grids and motors.

Sorry, TrophyTom, but grids and motors are not considered part of the LOA. The definition is as I indicated above - from the tip of the bow to the end of the transom.
BC Ferries is definitely going to be interested in the length of the boat in terms of the space it is going to occupy on the ferry deck - which would include the motor as well as the trailer tongue.

YES i agree they should make it simple from BOW to STERN....and include "extra" over all length most boats that are a "26 or 28" includes a 4 ft bowsprit on it quite contradictory when its really a 21.5 ft or a 23 ft boat pro-line,wellcraft,pursuit are a few that do this must be an american thing LOL LOL

I know of a few marinas that measure your entire boat and even the kicker being up as your length......so your "23ft boat" turns into a 32 fter......with bowsprit and engines hanging off.......

you know the old saying isnt this 12 inches?????LOL

Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
My skagit 24 is exactly 24 ft from tip of the nose -straight line to the transom-no pulpit-no swim grid-no motors. Biggest 24 I have ever seen-hard put to go in a 30 ft berth. With trailer she is 37ft long-good thing I don't take it to the mainland!!!

YES i agree they should make it simple from BOW to STERN....and include "extra" over all length most boats that are a "26 or 28" includes a 4 ft bowsprit on it quite contradictory when its really a 21.5 ft or a 23 ft boat pro-line,wellcraft,pursuit are a few that do this must be an american thing LOL LOL
Wolf

Yep, not a level 'playing field' IMO. When a hull is manufactured with its swim platform and pulpit built into/integrated as part of the hull rather than "attached", they are marketing it as for example a 26' when its no different than the 23' that has an attached grid and pulpit.

I have noticed the SeaSwirl Striper might also be added to Wolf's list of manufacturers with integrated grids/pulpits. The 26' Seaswirl Striper really surprized me as it seemed no larger, in fact seemed smaller than our 23' (232) Grady Gulfstream (which doesn't include grid/platform or pulpit in advertized 23' (232) length/model.

So to summarize, when paying moorage you try to go with the minimum possible length, when bragging you use the full length including motors and bow sprit, and when at the ferries you're f^%$#d no matter what you say.

So to summarize, when paying moorage you try to go with the minimum possible length, when bragging you use the full length including motors and bow sprit, and when at the ferries you're f^%$#d no matter what you say.

Yep - the ferries' folks are going to put their little measuring wheel down at the front of your tow vehicle and keep walking 'til they reach the tip of your prop - and that's what you're going to pay for.

YES SIR my hourston is 26 and a bit more like 26 and.2 inches THEN the leg and a dinky bowsprit maybe 8 inches but I personally say its a 26 fter because thats how long the boat is not the extras.....LOL

YEs i was curious and had to measure it with upright 2x6 s and a level.... LOL but I wanted to know LOL LOL

My understanding is that ABYC (American Boat Yacht Council) changed the way boats are measured in approx. 2003 with a document entitled "S-8: Boat Measurement and Weight" which document primarily aimed to address bow pulpits and swimsteps. Prior to such rule change, if a boat had a bow pulpit or swimstep bolted on, such was excluded from the overall length, and after the rule change, if the bow pulpit or swimstep were molded in to the hull, such extensions would be included in the overall length.

Accordingly, boat manufacturers began modifying their molds to eliminate bolt-on pulpits, bolt-on swim steps and bolt-on pods, with "integrated" components (non-bolt on). In some cases a pre-2003 22' podded boat with bolt-on pulpit morphed into a post 2003 26' boat with molded-in pulpit and pod, and offered the same deck space as the 22'.

I don't know how the rule change affected the aluminum boats, but it is rare to find a fiberglass boat produced after 2005 (a couple years after the rule change) that still has a bolt-on pulpit. Boat manufacturers changed their molds because if they mold it in to the hull, they can charge a price reflective of a boat of longer length, while still providing the boat buyer the same running hull.

I have a 1995 Pursuit 2470 WA that came with a bolt-on bow pulpit, and prior to the pulpit the boat is 24'7" centerline length before the motor. With the pulpit and motor (down position), the LOA for dock space purposes is 29'+

I hope this helps.

DAJ

below is the text from the 2010 version of ABYC S-8 referenced above. DAJ

8.4.10 Length Overall (LOA) - the straight line measurement from the foremost part of the boat to the aftermost part of
the boat, measured parallel to the centerline and to the design waterline. Integrally formed, molded, or welded
components and appendages, such as bow pulpits, swim platforms, attachment structures for the propulsion systems,
and structural rub rails installed by the builder are included in the length. Attached bowsprits, pulpits, boomkins
(bumpkins), rudders, sails, outboard brackets, handles, railings, and other similar attached extensions are not included
in the measurement.
8.4.11 Length, Maximum - LOA plus attached non-integral bowsprits, pulpits, boomkins (bumpkins), rudders, sails,
outboard brackets, handles, railings, and other similar attached extensions. Propulsion equipment and all moveable
parts shall be measured in their normal operating position(s).
8.4.12 Length, Waterline (LWL) - the horizontal measurement between the forwardmost and aftermost points on a
boat’s waterline, measured parallel to the centerline.

You speak my language. lol

Back