What GPS / Sounder to buy?

Highliner

Hey guys,

I am hoping to get into a new rig next spring. Whenever I find the right boat. I want to get something that will be really good for fishing but fairly bare bones. I want to outfit the boat myself with all of the right goodies. Any suggestions about the right electronics? I like Lowrance. Thoughts please.

Highliner

Furuno!,it is my choice, and has served me well(5 units on board now).I've ran Lowrance in the past but that was 15yrs ago and had no problems either[8D]

The garmin or lowrance split screen combos are great. They have them for all budgets. Starting at $900 and up.I have the lowrance and love it, my buddy has the garmin it's great too. The lowrance has one chip to cover the complete Island, I think you need two for the garmin, they cost a few bucks.Do your self a favor and get the colour don't even consider the b/w.

Garmin gets my vote. I have one of their combo plotter/sounder units (the 176 C i think) and love it. Hasn't let me down with 4 season of hard use. I think inside VI is one chip, and outside VI is another chip.

I also second the colour screen...I would go smaller colour over a bigger b&w anyday.

Jay

quote:Originally posted by Highliner

Hey guys,

I am hoping to get into a new rig next spring. Whenever I find the right boat. I want to get something that will be really good for fishing but fairly bare bones. I want to outfit the boat myself with all of the right goodies. Any suggestions about the right electronics? I like Lowrance. Thoughts please.

Highliner

Well..the first thing to decide is what type of boating you're wanting to do, and then go out and get the unit that has the most features relevant to what you want to do.

So, what that means is, are you wanting radar overlays or not? If you do, then you have to buy a unit with radar.

Also, you should establish your price range after you set those features in mind...and then pick the best units. Lowrance and Furuno are among the best out there.

Exactly the type of info I'm looking for. Thanks for your opinions. I was definately going to go with a colour display.

Just my opinion, but the Harbour Chandler has the best service and more importantly "after service" than any place on the island for electronics.

I have owned Hummingbird, Lowrance, Garmin and Sitex. I like my current Sitex sounder and GPS/map but they are separate units. I like Garmin GPS/maps and Lowrance sounders for mid priced electronics. My Sitex uses C-Map whereas Lowrance uses Navionic charts. Both have single cards for the island. Some say Navionics provides better maps for our area but I find my C-Map is excellent. Output power and image detail with a dual frequency transducer is what seems to make a good sounder (as well as proper transducer placement and good knowledge of your equipment settings); however, output power is not comparable between mid priced units and higher priced units. For mid priced I would look at Eagle/Lowrance units, for higher priced units either Furuno or Sitex. Factor in $350 for good electronic maps and you may want an external GPS map antenae which is another $250. If you have more $$ look for integration with radar and VHS radio.

I have the garmin178c ,gps/ff. Works great. I have my maps for west/east of the island on one chip. (Buy a blank 64meg chip and programmer and two unlock codes for less than $300, and super easy to load) GPScentral.ca has the best prices, but westmarine will match.
this is my secong garmin unit and no probs.:)

Good topic, Highliner--I'm going to upgrade my gps this winter as well. I'm thinking to wait til February and see what kind of boat show prices will be available. I'm considering the 332 or 337 Lowrance.
T2

Tom come on to my boat and see the X-110 you will really like it

Wolf

If you have a fast boat that needs all heads up... definitely color display. GARMIN is a good one to spend the bucks on. They've been doing the GPS thing a long time. I have a 176C but I'm gonna get a GARMIN multifunction unit mounted high so I don't have to look down. Overlay w radar and using it as a fish finder...takes up less space.

I'll definately come and have a look before I make any firm decision, Paul. Good luck today. I'm out hauling firewood today-- a tad less fun than the derby!
T2

If you are really serious, you can get a big screen LCX-111c Lowrance right now for $1299.00 U.S. This is a $2400.00 unit and has the GPS+WAAS and 50/200 KHz transducer. This might be to early as you don't have the boat yet. But it comes fully loaded with maps. I run the Navionics charts myself. This is a 10 1/2" color screen. I run two Lowrances and love this big screen. Navionics came out with a "fish-n-chip" batharythmic chart that is just awesome. There is so much detail that if you zoom your screen out to 16 miles across, areas actually go black from the amount of detail. This is a clear out deal as the LCX 113 is coming out. These are hard drive models. If you have the dash room for it I would suggest it. For really deep saltwater you do not want your transducer to have a higher number than 200. There are a lot of minerals in saltwater and currents. The 200 khz on down is the best for this.My Lowrance has read as deep as 1500' in the ocean. It has huge wattage too. These things read great in the brightest sunlight too. The LCX-26c is the same with a smaller screen. This fits on most dashes better. Good Luck

Go to www.boatersworld.com

If I were to buy a sounder right now I would buy the Lowrance LCX 25C. or LCX 26HD. It has high resolution, colour (important for seeing fish arches i.e. real fish), chartplotter that uses reasonalbly prices Navionics charts, dual frequency 50/200 khz (so it sees fish in deeper salt water) and you can use it with the LowranceNet easy wiring connectors so you can easy expand your system to include otyher sounders or guages for engine hours, fuel flow/consuption (for true fuel level readings) etc.

In my opion for all the perfromance you get for the price, it is one of the best units out there. That my 2 bits.

Bigger is better I had the smaller one then went to the big x-110 and man what a difference it is WELL worth the extra money I know of 6 other guides that have the same units and we all like them.

Good luck Wolf

Wow !!! the LCX-111C HD for $1299us. I just ordered it, I have the LMS-337C it seems that the antena and the transducer are the same for both models so I won't have to change any of that. I will be selling the LMS-337C if anyone is interested.E-MAIL me

Back