What are Sage SA rods worth?

drpower

Sage
SA3106
SA4110

Many of us are familiar with these iconic offerings that are no longer available. How much would you pay for blanks, or a built new or used standard or blinged out version? If you own one what's it worth to you?

it’s a weird situation cause I definitely wouldn’t buy one or anything sage moving forward.
But I Definetly wouldn’t sell the sages I have.
Not sure when I’ll even use em again

I recently sold an old-school 4120 for $ 250 (made from a blank). I recently purchased a brand new 3106 for $ 300 and just saw a 3113 for $300 on Craigslist so that tells a story (all quoted in US$)

I think Sage gets a bad rap these days on the fly rod side because they’re considered a “Big BOx”store since getting bought out by Far Bank
But love them or hate them, they make an amazing steelhead and trout rod. I was given several Sage One prototype rods about 5 years ago—-I already owned maybe 7 Sage rods (old school double handers that I built myself from blanks)

But those Sage One rods completely spoiled me. The weight to power ratio is off the charts….you can pound out line all day long without getting tired. I can’t pick up any of my old-school rods anymore….the new tech really is that good.

I just bought a Sage X a few weeks ago for my fall steelhead trip. I paid stupid money for it but it has a crazy amount of power for a rod that feels like a feather in your hand

It’s too bad Sage didn’t use that same Konnetic technology they used for the One and the X and now the R8 and build a few more 3106’s, 4110’s and 3113’s…now THAT would be some kind of great salt chuck salmon rod for sure

My salt go to is my Sage 4120 & 4110. I like the 4 power to mussel most quarry into submission, the length helps to steer from other rods
The last time I saw these rods at a tackle store was 2 years ago and the price was almost a G cdn
In the used market, I've seen um as low as 500 cdn( old components and it kinda needs attention ) Decent ones are 700 to 1000
Since the new ownership has dropped the gear line and not honoring the once great warranty, the luster of Sage is on the way side......such a shame

I brought in a Sage X with a broken tip two weeks ago and they gave me a free replacement tip no questions asked. But they’re just up the street from me and I told them I’m a homeboy from the ‘hood so couldn’t they help out a neighbor?

I brought in a Sage X with a broken tip two weeks ago and they gave me a free replacement tip no questions asked. But they’re just up the street from me and I told them I’m a homeboy from the ‘hood so couldn’t they help out a neighbor?
The X is fresh with the new regime, I had my Ignitor section last year replaced, just had to pay shipping, cuz I live north of the 49th parallel older blanks I had to pay, like my XP and my RPL
There is a fellow on Marketplace selling a SA 4110.....to my surprise for 600cdn. When this blank was available for purchase, fetched 300-375 :confused:

Last edited:
Ouch that sucks, its to bad they discontinued that service. I Guess babcock is no longer running his program? I really love my sage rods, I think that the 3106 is such a great mooching and rigger rod. Its to bad they have choosen to abandon that product line. I mean warrenty work always took forever, like 6 months but they eventually got it done. Maybe I have to look at the north fork composits line of blanks now, or talon........

I'm guiding the Outpost from time to time and will run these 3106 with MR2 and AP spoons, who knows when the last day I'll ever get to fish there will be, unlikely they break or get lost but if they do it will be a shame but worth it.

They are no longer warrantying drift rods.
Been dealing w a broken rod for a few months now. Pretty dissapointing as someone who owns multiple Sages
Absolutely disgusted w the change of warranty. I break on average at least one of my sages every year, its now a waste of my time.and money to own a Sage. This is also the reason why their has been a major.price drop on any of the rods in the last 2months.

Im hearing there may be a change in the polocy this fall. Hoping for the best.

Was Really annoyed when I heard this a couple months back, they were easily the best thing going. Love my 3113 and 3106. I tried to ask farbank about this, likely just a bs answer but for what it’s worth

“Thank you for reaching out. Gear rod graphite is limited and we no longer produce graphite for gear rod repairs. Current repairs are handled on a case-by-case basis. If the rod is a factory-built Sage rod and the material is available we will repair the rod under the original terms of the warranty. If the gear is a custom- built rod and the graphite is available we will cut, fit, and send a blank section as well as the original section(s) sent to us so the customer can harvest the old hardware. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with”

I sold 3 in the last year, 3113 4120 and 7141, 550$ for the 3113, 600$ for the 4120 and 650$ for the Spey rod, 3113 and 4120 where set up for bait casting, haven’t fished the rivers in a while so had to let them go, held on to one 3113. They still have a huge following in the river crowd, great rods but the warranty thing is a shame

Back