West Coast Guide Certifications

thats an old article but a rough idea I believe there is alot more updates needed now though

Things may have changed and someone will pipe up if they have but Last I checked:
SVOP
Med A-3
Marine Radio operator card
Marine first aid
2 million liability Insurance
Boat needs transport Canada certification. That’s pretty much it I think.
Anybody pushing TAG or anything else is out to make a buck off you. It’s recommended but not legally required.

thats an old article but a rough idea I believe there is alot more updates needed now though
That's a freshwater only gig no?
Not required for saltwater

Things may have changed and someone will pipe up if they have but Last I checked:
SVOP
Med A-3
Marine first aid
Anybody pushing TAG or anything else is out to make a buck off you. It’s recommended but not legally required.
I think you have it all-marine first aid is every 3 years

The SVOP is /will be updated

The new draft, for the SVOP course changes, has been issued; the course will be increasing to a 32 hour course with 3- 6 hour modules for passengers, tug boats or commercial fishing.. The target date for the new SVO-C, Small Vessel Operator Certificate is in 2023 according to the Transport Canada Marine Personnel office.

So more then likely a 5 day course!!!! and $$$ along with all the other courses you need to take as mentioned above
So ya still wanna be a quide on the coast with restrictions?? ok..

The SVOP is /will be updated

The new draft, for the SVOP course changes, has been issued; the course will be increasing to a 32 hour course with 3- 6 hour modules for passengers, tug boats or commercial fishing.. The target date for the new SVO-C, Small Vessel Operator Certificate is in 2023 according to the Transport Canada Marine Personnel office.

So more then likely a 5 day course!!!! and $$$ along with all the other courses you need to take as mentioned above
So ya still wanna be a quide on the coast with restrictions?? ok..
Will they make you do an upgrade to existing?

So how much is it to get these
SVOP
Med A-3
Marine first aid
So how much do you figure roughly? If one has a higher level of first aid, can they challenge or can a higher level of first aid trump Marine First aid?

Marine first aid was outside the stuff we took In the svop course. Was right around $1000 in 2019 for the svop, meda3 and the radio operators course. Sorry I can’t help about the boat inspection, insurance or anything else other than the main classes mentioned above. Insurance was a dud when I inquired about it because it was in the middle of ktown burning down last year. Guess I should get on asking about that now before the fires start up again.

So how much is it to get these

So how much do you figure roughly? If one has a higher level of first aid, can they challenge or can a higher level of first aid trump Marine First aid?
With Government you never know what Trumps what. I once had 2 coast guard guys pull me over for a safety check and proceeded to tell me that my Masters ticket wasn't good enough that I had to have one of those $35 cards you get online.

With Government you never know what Trumps what. I once had 2 coast guard guys pull me over for a safety check and proceeded to tell me that my Masters ticket wasn't good enough that I had to have one of those $35 cards you get online.
That's why Coasties don't issue Notices of Violation... Here's a link of accepted Proof of Competencies. DFO probably issues the most tickets. Then RCMP, VPD, Conservation (not so much in the salt), and the rarely seen Transport Canada Inspectors, who will only conduct pleasure craft enforcement if accompanied by police or DFO.

Had a similar situation with some rcmp guys that gave me an inspection. Showed them my svop and the one officer was like do you not have a boaters licence? lol. I said I do but thats a commercial ticket that qualifies me to run this commercial vessel.. cop just stared at me and said can I see your boaters card? 😂 Then later the same guy asked me where my paddle was, for my 25' boat that weighs 5500 pounds 😂. That was a long one :rolleyes:

Had a similar situation with some rcmp guys that gave me an inspection. Showed them my svop and the one officer was like do you not have a boaters licence? lol. I said I do but thats a commercial ticket that qualifies me to run this commercial vessel.. cop just stared at me and said can I see your boaters card? 😂 Then later the same guy asked me where my paddle was, for my 25' boat that weighs 5500 pounds 😂. That was a long one :rolleyes:
I had the paddle question had to show him in the ColRegs

Pretty sure only Transport Canada can inspect commercial registered boats and issue fines. Pleasure craft rules don't apply.

Back