Welded Aluminum Paint Systems

S

SIR

So far we've avoided putting bottom paint on our boats as just taking them out and cleaning the bottoms seemed easier but we are finding in the summer time we don't have time to do that so are thinking about putting bottom paint on.

I've heard lot's of ugly stories about bottom paint on welded aluminum boats. Anybody have a system that they have been using for a while and been happy with??? Preferably one that went on a used hull as opposed to when it was new...

While we're at it anybody painted the interior of a used welded aluminum with good adhesion/wear results?

At EagleCraft we paint both new and used boats everyday with both antifouling and paint in our paint shop. Please feel free to call me Monday and I should be able to explain to you both the process and the required primer, interior paint or antifouling paint to use. So you can do it yourself if thats the way you want to go.
Toll Free 1-888-393-6464

Cheers Kevin

Hull should be cleaned with aluma-prep, then apply alodine, then a good barrier coat(primocon by interlux is good), then your bottom paint. The proper bottom paint is about $300.00 gallon for aluminum boats. A good barrier coat is the most important step here though.

Back