wanting a job...

V

vedderboy

I just recently graduated from high school , ive bein fishing all my life and would love to persue a job in the fishories or become a guide.I was wondering if any-one on hear could help me out with some information on how to do so.

quote:Originally posted by vedderboy

I just recently graduated from high school , ive bein fishing all my life and would love to persue a job in the fishories or become a guide.I was wondering if any-one on hear could help me out with some information on how to do so.

I'd recommend working the summer at a remote fishing lodge as a deck hand, or dock rat--and then work hard and work your way up to guide.

Guiding isn't exactly easy. There's lots to do and lots to know. It's a great experience, they lodge you, feed you, and you get to put all your $$$ in the bank and you can't spend it there, and when you get back to town in mid to late September, you take a couple of weeks off and then look for work.

Be prepared to work long long hours and have few days off, and forgo the creature comforts of life at home for the experience--and if you have a girlfriend be prepared for lots of crying and pleading for you not to go.

I'd prepare a resume, and a stellar cover letter stating why you would like to work in the industry (and don't say you love to fish---well duh!). It's about hospitality and people, and showing people a great experience.

In order to get this job, you have to very passionate about people, service friendly and keen about providing hospitality, and passionate about nature and the resource. Talk about how you take pride in a job well done, and your relentless pursuit of excellence.

Now with that said, apply to every lodge on the coast--you're going to need access to email and a fax machine---and do it now. Lodges are now finalizing the summer crews.

Now, when you land your interviews, make sure you show up clean cut and well groomed--and impress the lodge manager with your willingness to learn, great work ethic, passion for the sport, and enthusiasm.

That's my advice to you for starters.

Wishing you great success in your job hunt!

so whats it really like in this industry , any good success storie's??

Speaking as an owner operator, it is very hard work for pretty good pay depending on what you have invested in gear and time to pay for. The biggest challange when working as an independent guide is getting people into your boat. As the business builds, and you show people a good time, things begin to take care of themselves, but otherwise, it's a hard go of it, and very few guys make a full time living at it.

If you love being on the water, it can be fun, but remember, you are dealing with people who pay the big bucks to go out with someone who knows what they are doing.. Starting off as a Dock Rat may not be a bad idea, to run a boat you will need at a MINIMUM your PCOC, and your MED-III. Med2a and 1 would not be bad either.

Simple fomula to lodge success... work hard, and don't *****. I've seen it time and time again, people get to comfontable come mid season, get lazy and start bitching about the lodge. As F.M. put it put in you time as a dock rat and guiding will come easy. All great guides started off as a deckhand.

I'd recommend, if you're looking for a job learn how to spell check. If you just graduated, I think our school system is in real trouble. I don't think you're going to get too many job offers with that type of request. Perhaps a few seconds more effort would yield far better results. Good luck finding a job.

BG This forum is no place to comment on the school system. The kid wants to be a fishing guide, not an author. By the way, your post contains two examples of faulty logic, three grammatical errors, and your word choice is somewhat limited. It is a C+ at best. I teach English but I would rather be a fishing guide.

Right on tubber[8D]...if I have one complaint about this forum, its the a-hole posts by a select few. I guess that's to be expected under the cover of the internet.

I joined this to ask for advise on how to persue a career in the fishing industry , not to get told what my grade would be in english or to be told how to spell. Thanx for the advise

Dont let one guy get you down thats what it will be like up at a lodge sometimes as well you will find un happy people and you will have to smile and carry on just do the same here good luck in your trek of finding a job.

Wolf

Dont get discouraged about spelling mistakes,some of fellows I have hired over the years had trouble with the 3 "R"s most of them worked twice as hard,and turned out to be good electricians,Wolf gave you some good advise,substitute the word work for lodge, its the same at any job. Goodluck tell us how you make out.DAN

There was a Lodge hiring staff in the T.C yesterday.Do not know were but its a start.Good luck.

Rick

Some really great advice guys, Vedderboy another route would be to become certified in BC through the Northwest Community College in Smithers. They have a 2 month summer program called Wilderness Guiding Skills that will get you all the certificates you need including Wilderness First Aid, FAC, Swift Water Rescue, Radio Operators, etc. Costs about 3K I think but they have a great scholarship and loan program - you would easily pay it off after one season. Hope this helps! I took the program in '98 and got a job right away. Now I teach high school in the winter but when my kids grow up I will guide in the summer again. A great lifestyle I think.
Good luck VB!

Back