Wanted - Used Tomic plugs

Waterwolf2230

My son and I are trying to get a collection of used plugs to refinish this winter. He’s going to be getting an airbrush for graduating Junior High with honors. He’s fascinated with airbrushing so it’ll be a fun project for us. Let me know if you want to sell some!

Cheers,

WW

D
My son and I are trying to get a collection of used plugs to refinish this winter. He’s going to be getting an airbrush for graduating Junior High with honors. He’s fascinated with airbrushing so it’ll be a fun project for us. Let me know if you want to sell some!

Cheers,

WW
Did you contact @Fishtofino? He’s got a good amount for sale. Some look like they could use a refinish.

I think you’re around Pacific Playground area aren’t you? Go to The Trading Post in Campbell River. They have thousands of plugs. mainly ex-commercial stuff. $2 a plug and i bet you can get them for cheaper. they dicker all the time and i bet they would love to get rid of them.

I think you’re around Pacific Playground area aren’t you? Go to The Trading Post in Campbell River. They have thousands of plugs. mainly ex-commercial stuff. $2 a plug and i bet you can get them for cheaper. they dicker all the time and i bet they would love to get rid of them.

^^^** True that.

Cheers,

WW

Unfortunately no Tomics to part with but I airbrush spoons and plugs and if you need any guidance shoot me a PM for a few tips. One bit of advice is to spend a few extra bucks and get a decent quality airbrush.

You can check out my Instagram page to get an idea of what I play with.

I got a few ex commercial plugs for ya no charge, sounds like a cool project. I'll put some together. I'm on the mainland in Cloverdale. Let me know

Unfortunately no Tomics to part with but I airbrush spoons and plugs and if you need any guidance shoot me a PM for a few tips. One bit of advice is to spend a few extra bucks and get a decent quality airbrush.

You can check out my Instagram page to get an idea of what I play with.
Ya I've followed your work...what would you recommend for gear. We haven't bought it yet. I was looking at the Paasche D500SR Compressor and Paasche Talon Airbrush https://www.paascheairbrush.com/product/tg-3f/

I'm totally open to suggestions here. I don't mind spending a little money to get decent products...

The Paasche Talon airbrush has been my go-to airbrush for a number of years. Ive now upgraded to an Iwata airbrush but the Talon still gets used regularly.

For a compressor I’ve been using a old pancake style compressor that I had when I started airbrushing. I like it because I can run it and fill the tank then just slowly drain the tank without having to listen to it run. A must have item is an in-line water separator.

Get your son to watch videos on disassembly his airbrush for cleaning. Properly cleaning an airbrush will be the difference in how well it delivers paint. No real shortcuts on airbrush maintenance but after a few times he should be able to do it in his sleep. And pay special attention to the needle, if it’s dropped and the tip is bent it won’t deliver the paint properly.

There will be some growing pains with reducing paint but a little trial and error he should quickly catch on. You can also sign him up at a local art store that may offer airbrushing classes. Something that I wish I had done and still consider doing.

The Paasche Talon airbrush has been my go-to airbrush for a number of years. Ive now upgraded to an Iwata airbrush but the Talon still gets used regularly.

For a compressor I’ve been using a old pancake style compressor that I had when I started airbrushing. I like it because I can run it and fill the tank then just slowly drain the tank without having to listen to it run. A must have item is an in-line water separator.

Get your son to watch videos on disassembly his airbrush for cleaning. Properly cleaning an airbrush will be the difference in how well it delivers paint. No real shortcuts on airbrush maintenance but after a few times he should be able to do it in his sleep. And pay special attention to the needle, if it’s dropped and the tip is bent it won’t deliver the paint properly.

There will be some growing pains with reducing paint but a little trial and error he should quickly catch on. You can also sign him up at a local art store that may offer airbrushing classes. Something that I wish I had done and still consider doing.
Excellent tips. How about paint. Glow, metallic, top coats and stencils. I’m a little ahead of myself I know but I’m that way about most things lol.

When painting plugs I tend to give them a light sanding then hit them with a good white base coat. I hate rattle can paints but with one exception, I use a rattle can white Rustoleum paint meant for resin lawn chairs as my base coat. It covers well and is easy to apply.

The rest of my paint is either AutoAir or Createx Wicked Colours. All relatively non toxic and cleans up with water.

Applying paint with an airbrush is all about prep and patience. You won’t be applying paint with one coat, it takes multiple coats to get good coverage.

You can play with all kinds of stencil materials. Sometimes it’s just stuff you find around the house.

Check out....

http://www.tackleunderground.com/

Lots of talented guys painted warm water crankbaits. Way more detailed then I’d ever get but it gives you an idea of how to achieve different looks.

For clear coats I started with rattle can clears for simplicity sake. They worked in a pinch and are readily available but they lack durability. I would never sell any of my spoons because I wasn’t confident in how well they would stand up to abuse.

I now use a automotive grade 2-Part Urethane clear coat that is tough as nails. Burban, a member on this site has caught over 20 fish on one of my spoons and reports not a mark on it.

You are a good man, that’s what I love about this forum, good positive advice that I’ll take to heart. Have you found a good quality glow paint yet?

I’ve played with a few different glow products but haven’t found one that’s easy to apply as of yet.

Thanks for the complement, I’m happy to share. My spoon painting mentor was from the old BC Fishing Reports forum. We developed a fantastic friendship bouncing ideas off of each other. Hundreds of emails went back and forth sharing experiences and blunders. So much of my start is due to the advice and growing pains that he shared with me. The chance to give back just seems like the right thing to do. These forums are only as good as the members and their willingness to share.

Be prepared, this airbrushing hobby doesn’t come cheap but which hobbies do?

Regarding paints, the transparent products are the easiest to apply and the way to go when starting out. When you move to pearls, metallics, fluorescents and opaque paints the product can plug up the tip of your airbrush. As your son gets more comfortable airbrushing he can move to these types of paints.

Unfortunately the cost of airbrush paints and supplies locally are quite expensive. Shopping online is really the only way to go. I’ve used Coast Airbrush for quite a few purchases.

https://www.coastairbrush.com/

Back