WANTED: Large arbor fly reel and/or fancy mooching reel

Dave S

I'm looking for a large arbor fly reel 9-11 weight with disk drag. It needs to be able to handle salt water(anodized or protective finish of some kind).

Also looking for another mooching reel like a Trophy, Rapala, Amundson, etc. Didn't mention Islander since they are pretty pricey.

If your looking to upgrade or have a spare your not using, let me know.

I'm in Victoria but can work out shipping or something else.

Thanks,
Dave

I'm looking for a large arbor fly reel 9-11 weight with disk drag. It needs to be able to handle salt water(anodized or protective finish of some kind).

Also looking for another mooching reel like a Trophy, Rapala, Amundson, etc. Didn't mention Islander since they are pretty pricey.

If your looking to upgrade or have a spare your not using, let me know.

I'm in Victoria but can work out shipping or something else.

Thanks,
Dave

If you can't find a good used fly reel that fits the bill, I recommend that you look at Ross Reels, and in particular the CLA series, which are large arbor and anodized aluminum. I own other Ross fly reels and can vouch for the quality and reliability of their stuff, which is also very reasonably priced. They also sell some higher priced reels, but all their reels are generally regarded as amongst the best.

Fly reels can be ridiculously expensive - to the point that Islander mooching reels seem cheap. Islander also makes some highly regarded saltwater fly reels, as do Abel, Tibor and others, but most of them are priced well north of $600 or $700, which is more than double the Ross CLA, which should go for around $285 or so in the size you are looking at.

The guys at Robinson's in Victoria carry Ross and other brands and they are very knowledgeable.

I would second Robinsons for fly reels. Check out the Sages they are very affordable (I was very surprised) that can handle saltwater. Try asking for a deal, they beat I.O by alot. but again its the line that kills ya. I shoulda researched a bit on that one. I.O had some nice Hardy stainless ones on clearance awhile back.

I got a size 9 anodized Pflueger at Wholesale sports for under a hundred and there s some drag creep, but pretty good for a fly reel. Put backing on, then 30-40 pound mono and spool it up! You mentioned you were going to using this fly set up for trolling salmon right?

I got a size 9 anodized Pflueger at Wholesale sports for under a hundred and there s some drag creep, but pretty good for a fly reel. Put backing on, then 30-40 pound mono and spool it up! You mentioned you were going to using this fly set up for trolling salmon right?

Hi BGM,

I'm interested. I would be using this for salmon on the troll. I can sort out the creep with a line release or something. Which model is it your selling?

Thanks,
D

Hi BGM,

I'm interested. I would be using this for salmon on the troll. I can sort out the creep with a line release or something. Which model is it your selling?

Thanks,
D

Sorry Dave, I was not very clear in my post, kind of a hijack, I'm not selling just pointing out that you can find decent new reels that are won't break the bank! Let us know what you end up with.

Back