Victoria / Southern island shore casting for Flounder

Steelclaw

Hi guys,

I've been out a few times specifically targeting Flounder / sole around Victoria from shore, but with no luck. hoping someone could point me in the right direction and any tips on the rig / bait i should be using would be great! I'm shore bound (for now).

Thanks!

I would try Esq Lagoon and cast it way out with some meat on a hook and let it sit for a bit. Dogfish, flounder may be open but check the reg. Ling cod and Halibut are closed now.

If you can find a rocky outcrop that extends out to where you can cast to a sandy bottom, that would be a spot to try. I can think of some possible places near Cordova Bay and Island View beach. Total speculation on my part, but worth exploring via google. Bait or jigs with bait bouncing along the bottom should work.

When I was a kid we used to catch lots of flounder using just a hand line, small weight, and worm on a hook. Haven't targeted flounder in a long while but as noted you need a flat sandy bottom. Bump the bottom a few times and they pretty much bite immediately. From shore maybe try the pier in Sidney? Maybe Cormorant Point, but not sure if the bottom is flat enough there?

Need sand as mentioned. Put a ball/teardrop sinker 1oz or less on the bottom o leader. Tie 1-2 hooks on short dropper leaders 1 foot up from sinker, 1 foot apart if using 2 hooks. Bait with pile worms; don't ned the whole worm. Cast-out. Slowly reel-in until you get a nibble, wait 5 seconds, set hook, repeat.

At Winter Harbour last summer my daughter who is 7 caught 20 odd small flounder/sole off the dock in an afternoon. Best fishing ever for her.

Try to find a copy of Island Angler's "Guide to Saltwater Shorecasting". It has pretty good descriptions of locales, maps & target species
for most of Vancouver Island

Back