VHF upgrade needed

N2013

I'm looking to upgrade my current VHF set up. Looking for a basic fixed radio, with a 8' tilt down antenna. Currently running a short 3' shakespeare antenna which gets bent back when it's under the tarp during the winter. Read somewhere that the radio and the antenna need to be 3' apart? Judging from where the new antenna would need to go, it would only be about 2' max. Distance with current set up is about 2' so I don't know if there's any truth to a distance requirement. Antenna & radio are both on the starboard side and the tilt down hinge would be a 90 degree hinge just below the side glass. Boat is a 99 Double Eagle 185. Curious to know how others are set up with a similar size boat.

Thx

FB820B97-3AC3-4FBB-98B8-F1D724EFD5AB.jpeg

I think the radio model is simrad rs40 has AIS reception is great. I don’t use the radio just Apple Music or Spotify etc on the lowrance sonic hub2. My main cable run goes down the stb side so I think having the radio on the port is advisable in that scenario to limit potential interference. Similar to you I fold the antenna down when the boat is out of the water and tarp on.

Come to think of it, I’m about 18” separation with my current set up. My net storage has to be port side to keep visibility best for me at the helm. I’m going to have to play around with distances & positioning as an 8’ whip is gonna be whacking the rigger if tilted back, and tail if tilted forward. Currently running a Hook 2 plotter, not sure I can tie a radio into that or not.

1675372752508.jpeg

My boat has two antenna for main and backup VHF. Antenna for main VHF is mounted on radar arch, backup antenna is gunwhale mounted. Would have preferred both on the radar arch but was limited by cable space within radar arch tubing. Higher is better of course.

Come to think of it, I’m about 18” separation with my current set up. My net storage has to be port side to keep visibility best for me at the helm. I’m going to have to play around with distances & positioning as an 8’ whip is gonna be whacking the rigger if tilted back, and tail if tilted forward. Currently running a Hook 2 plotter, not sure I can tie a radio into that or not.

View attachment 89216
Hey there N2013,
Walk down to my boat (the podded DE in the background) and take a look at my setup.
Works great, no issues with interference.

I'm looking to upgrade my current VHF set up. Looking for a basic fixed radio, with a 8' tilt down antenna. Currently running a short 3' shakespeare antenna which gets bent back when it's under the tarp during the winter. Read somewhere that the radio and the antenna need to be 3' apart? Judging from where the new antenna would need to go, it would only be about 2' max. Distance with current set up is about 2' so I don't know if there's any truth to a distance requirement. Antenna & radio are both on the starboard side and the tilt down hinge would be a 90 degree hinge just below the side glass. Boat is a 99 Double Eagle 185. Curious to know how others are set up with a similar size boat.

Thx
I'm looking for a radio and antenna as well, let me know what you find. I've got an InReach as primary emergency device (plus a handhelf VHF which I'm not sure is much use) so considering a more basic fixed radio. Currently the Standard Horizon GX1400 ($200) is at the top of my list and second is Icom IC-m330 though all i know is what I've read on here.

Question from a point of ignorance though, some quick reading suggest that 8' vs 4' may only give say 10% more range...in a true emergency, what would I be missing by relying on the InReach and a shorter range VHF? Communication with other proximal, non-coast guard vessels that could assist?
Don't mean to hijack your thread N, just looking for some more diverse discussion.

I'm looking for a radio and antenna as well, let me know what you find. I've got an InReach as primary emergency device (plus a handhelf VHF which I'm not sure is much use) so considering a more basic fixed radio. Currently the Standard Horizon GX1400 ($200) is at the top of my list and second is Icom IC-m330 though all i know is what I've read on here.

Question from a point of ignorance though, some quick reading suggest that 8' vs 4' may only give say 10% more range...in a true emergency, what would I be missing by relying on the InReach and a shorter range VHF? Communication with other proximal, non-coast guard vessels that could assist?
Don't mean to hijack your thread N, just looking for some more diverse discussion.
Go with the big antenna. It’s never in the way once it’s propped up. It’s only in the way when it’s down and you’re walking by and it wants to poke you on the eye. I had a 4’ antenna when I bought my boat and swapped it out for a 8’ Shakespeare. They aren’t that expensive for a big safety item

Satellite systems, such as inreach, will get to Coastguard. Their response time will vary depending on where you are. Could be 20 minutes by hovercraft near Vancouver or many hours by helicopter in remote areas. A handheld VHF won't reach boats you can see on the water near you, they're usually max 2 mile range I think. A fixed VHF has a good chance of not only reaching anyone within reasonable response distance, it will also likely get picked up by the Coastguard radio repeater network. They can then broadcast over a larger area soliciting a response from any vessels able to assist.

Satellite systems, such as inreach, will get to Coastguard. Their response time will vary depending on where you are. Could be 20 minutes by hovercraft near Vancouver or many hours by helicopter in remote areas. A handheld VHF won't reach boats you can see on the water near you, they're usually max 2 mile range I think. A fixed VHF has a good chance of not only reaching anyone within reasonable response distance, it will also likely get picked up by the Coastguard radio repeater network. They can then broadcast over a larger area soliciting a response from any vessels able to assist.
This is what I needed to hear. Thanks.

Anyone have any experience into what antenna, Shakespeare 5225-XT or the Classic 5101, (other than durability) would be better? $260 vs $110. Looking for first hand experience. Not heading way offshore, no high speed, but a fair bit of trailering.

Anyone have any experience into what antenna, Shakespeare 5225-XT or the Classic 5101, (other than durability) would be better? $260 vs $110. Looking for first hand experience. Not heading way offshore, no high speed, but a fair bit of trailering.
I have a 5101 and it works fine. $105 on amazon.

I have a Standard Horizon GX 1280s sitting in a box, comes with second station. Upgraded to a unit with AIS. Having a difficult time coming up with a value. Open to offers.

Attachments

• VHF.jpg
    VHF.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 13
It's all about height of antenna, the bigger the better.
The range of VHF radio communications doesn’t come first and foremost from the device power but above all from the position height of the transmitter’s and receiver’s antennas. Of course it is compromised by the terrestrial curvature and interposed obstacles.

The communication range between two antennas is the sum of the two results.the range of an antenna, you multiply the square root of the antenna’s height above water (in feet) by 1.42. The product will equal the antenna’s communication range in miles. If you mount a two foot antenna onto a boat that is six feet above water, you take the square root of 8 (which is 2.83) and multiply that by 1.42 to get a range of 4.02 miles. So, to know how you can still communicate with another antenna that is 70 miles away, you have to perform this equation for both antennas. For example, the weather antenna may be far away but be mounted very high in order to communicate with multiple vessels at the same time.

Last edited:
Another point, re: range of signal, the gain of the antenna is not necessarily related to the physical length but the designed gain. IE: a 6db antenna will be more effective on transmit and twice as sensitive on receive compared to a 3db antenna...

My next antenna will be a Morad. Extremely well made and durable. Widely used by commercial vessels. And while somewhat expensive compared other antennas, it’s not a lot of money compared to other boat stuff. VHF communication is one very important part of safe boating.

My next antenna will be a Morad. Extremely well made and durable. Widely used by commercial vessels. And while somewhat expensive compared other antennas, it’s not a lot of money compared to other boat stuff. VHF communication is one very important part of safe boating.
Coincidentally, I just started a new antenna project with 2 Morad Hot Rods and a dedicated AIS antenna on my boat. Something else thats overlooked is the quality of connections at cable ends

View attachment 89216
We are neighbours on C dock as I’m across from you on your starboard as I have the Trophy

Back