VHF Radio protocol and licencing facts

There's a few difference levels of certification. For recreational use you need the ROC (restricted operators cert), entry level commercial use the ROC-MC. There's very little difference between the two courses.

Yes the ROC-MC is a pre req for commercial operators as part of the SVOP/SVO and the 60 Ton Masters program. There is no annual fee for this license. Interesting note on channel designations - 88a is listed as a COMMERCIAL only channel but is widely used by both REC and Commercial.

There's a few difference levels of certification. For recreational use you need the ROC (restricted operators cert), entry level commercial use the ROC-MC. There's very little difference between the two courses.

I see that now at the bottom of this link. http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/h_sf01775.html

Certification
Do I still require a Radio Operator Certificate?
Yes. The Radio Operator Certificate is still a requirement for anyone who may be operating the maritime radio equipment, regardless of whether a radio licence is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember now this license is for the person who holds it is not for the radios in your boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember now this license is for the person who holds it is not for the radios in your boat

Yes....duly noted. For anyone perusing this thread looking at this info and requirements I'd suggest taking 5 minutes and reading the bottom half of the link I posted for some questions that are pertinent to the topic.

I was told when i registered for my mmsi # that there would be a 17$ a year fee for having the mmsi # .... Was i misinformed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone using a vhf marine radio requires the ROC-M license and Using is defined as simply turning the radio on,
anyone looking at taking the course make sure it includes DSC as well, its a good bit of info to know as well
for anyone over here on the mainland port moody power and sail does it out of reed point marina in a 3hr 1 night course

Canso:- it is illegal for the public to use a VHF boat radio on land to communicate with a boat on the water (or anything).

Canso:- it is illegal for the public to use a VHF boat radio on land to communicate with a boat on the water (or anything).

Would that not put a lot of lodges on the hot seat? I know the Village of Kyuquot is in notable violation as they have people communicating to boats from the village and vice versa, as well as to and from one another in the village. I would assume it's all marine VHF that is being used.

I think we need clarification about what you mean. Every marina I have visited says to hail them on channel 66, etc. before docking. Almost every yacht club I've been to has a land base VHF to communicate with their member boats. Are all of them illegal?

From Industry Canada website:

"Can I use maritime radio equipment on land or in my vehicle for personal use?

No, maritime radio equipment should not be operated on land or in vehicles for personal use. The intent of the maritime mobile bands is to provide safety communications to vessels. Operating this type of equipment on land could seriously impact the effectiveness of the maritime safety service.

In the case of marinas or yacht clubs, maritime radio equipment may be used on land for communicating with ships or vessels. Radios used for this type of operation will require a radio licence. You can contact your local Industry Canada office for more information RIC-66."

From Industry Canada website:

"Can I use maritime radio equipment on land or in my vehicle for personal use?

No, maritime radio equipment should not be operated on land or in vehicles for personal use. The intent of the maritime mobile bands is to provide safety communications to vessels. Operating this type of equipment on land could seriously impact the effectiveness of the maritime safety service.

In the case of marinas or yacht clubs, maritime radio equipment may be used on land for communicating with ships or vessels. Radios used for this type of operation will require a radio licence. You can contact your local Industry Canada office for more information RIC-66."

Thanks for the clarification BigBruce. I have not run across people using a land base VHF for personal use before, but it's good fact to know.

daveroo

This is good to know, I have a handheld VHF and was considering using it for boat to home communication on occasion - not anymore! (anyone want to buy an icom ic-m3a handheld ! )

Fully aware, this was 20years ago and cel phones have now taken over. We didn't hide the fact, considering we had a 30' antenna bolted to the chimney on our house, and calling "home base" from the water.
also know of many houses on the golf islands with VHF
maybe there needs to be enforcement, but who would take this on?
I’ve never heard a true story of tickets or fines regarding this matter.

My somewhat dated understanding is that shore-based marine VHF transmitters are legal if they have a station licence. Almost every house in any coastal village usually has a marine VHF, usually tuned to ch06. I doubt if any of them have a station licence.

Just signed up for the ROC-M course that I have put off for literally decades. While I know 90% of VHF protocol, I would prefer to be legal and this old dog can still be taught a few new tricks...... I hope.......... heh heh heh :cool:

My original intent of this thread was to make people aware of proper radio protocol by taking a certified course. The main purpose of VHF is for emergency and ship to ship communications therefore it is very important that everyone know how to properly use it. It is a great tool. Yes everyone has cell phones but there are lots of places where there is no cell coverage and its pretty hard to call the tug bearing down on you in the fog if you don't have his cell number. It gives me great comfort knowing that pretty much anywhere on the coast I can call out on channel 16 in an emergency and get a response right back from someone that can help me.

Everyone who has read this thread now knows that you need to take a certified Maritime radio course, pass a test, and have a ROC-M card with them.

Enough said.

Just signed up for the ROC-M course that I have put off for literally decades. While I know 90% of VHF protocol, I would prefer to be legal and this old dog can still be taught a few new tricks...... I hope.......... heh heh heh :cool:
Awesome!!!

Back