VHF question

If your looking to take the ROC course it is only offered via Power Squadrons. Started in June to do the self study and after much searching, was informed by a local lower mainland Power Squadron rep that they do not allow an individual to challenge the course, which means paying the full price of the course to them. So if your like I, having thirty years of radio use your forced to attend two days of courses and spend the extra bucks to obtain a ROC. An alternative according to the ROC center is available to obtaining a RO? thru authorized learning centers, BCIT being one. After passing their course (Three days) it entitles usage of not only the VHF but additional communications equipment.

I was able to self study and write the exam through Bruce Stott and his Gulf Islands Cruising School. He's in Sidney and a very nice fellow. I purchased and studied the material and when I was ready I called him to set up a time to write the exam. He corrects it on the spot and administers the oral part of the exam. Here's some info on his web site: http://www.cruising.bc.ca/vhf.htm

Just a note: up to 5 radios can use the same MMSI # as long as they are associated with the same vessel.
Also remember to update your vessel description info (make an amendment) to your present MMSI information by sending Indusrty Canada your new boat information if you have bought a new vessel ( If itcarries more passengers or has different tonnage than your previous vessel)

Back