VHF question

Fisher_dude

Crew Member
Might be a dumb question but considering I've never owned or used a marine VHF, what are the channels that are most used?

16 for sure; that is your lifeline.

Down here in the local Vancouver waters guys use 88A to yack about fishing and the guides "sometimes" use it.

It really does depend on where you are as to the stations you're going to use. For example when in Kyuquot we utilize very different stations than I would when we're fishing the local Vancouver waters.

If you've never used one or owned one I would HIGHLY recommend taking a course on using it. There must be some up your way in Kelowna (check with marine stores or your local chapter for Power Squadron) but there are workshops/courses down here which I am trying to recall if they are a 1 day or 2 day that run thru many weekends.

Knowing how to use it properly could save your life, or someone elses......it can also let you know about marine traffic AND when/where the "BITE'S ON!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
16 for sure; that is your lifeline.

If you've never used one or owned one I would HIGHLY recommend taking a course on using it. There must be some up your way in Kelowna (check with marine stores or your local chapter for Power Squadron) but there are workshops/courses down here which I am trying to recall if they are a 1 day or 2 day that run thru many weekends.

Knowing how to use it properly could save your life, or someone elses......it can also let you know about marine traffic AND when/where the "BITE'S ON!!!!"

X2 - also the weather channels and notices to mariners from the Coast Guard are on your VHF.

Agreed, you should't use it if you don't have an ROC (ya right). With more of us going offshore in particular, you need a fix mount, and, portable in my view with any boat over 20 feet. MMSI is a life saver. Cost has dropped to the point where that is now reasonable to do. By the way, don't know if you are aware, but, your mmsi number on a boat with multiple VHF is the same. You can input the same mmsi several times..

By the way, don't know if you are aware, but, your mmsi number on a boat with multiple VHF is the same. You can input the same mmsi several times..

That's certainly true for multiple fixed VHF radios in one boat. But the handheld situation is a little different. If you get separated from your boat or use the handheld on a different boat, a separate MMSI might be advisable to prevent confusion by search and rescue looking for a boat rather than a person in the water, or looking for the wrong boat if the handheld distress signal is coming from another boat. Industry Canada understands this and allows for separate MMSI numbers to be assigned to handhelds.

After multiple emails for IC, they told me to use the same one. I was concerned you couldn't re-use the number. I was very clear that one unit was a fixed and the other a portable. I guess different people at IC may give different responses. In any case, I think the CG will be looking for a fix/co-ord if you push you're mmsi and won't be too concerned about what the target looks like.

Here you go be safe, take the course

VHF
Distress, Safety, and calling 16
Coast Guard Working Channel ( Canada & US ) 22A ( simplex ) ( Canada ) 26 , 84 ( Duplex )
Non-Commercial Intership 06 , 72
Non-Commercial Intership / Shipshore 09 , 67, 68, 69, 73
Marina’s 73 , 68 ( 66A – Old)
Canadian Coast Guard 26, 84
Vessel Traffic Management 11, 12, 14, 71, 74
Digital Selective calling/ Distress and safety 70

the charter guys are on 88A -------we like to spy on them for intell. when they are not texting

In any case, I think the CG will be looking for a fix/co-ord if you push you're mmsi and won't be too concerned about what the target looks like.

I'm not so sure about that. Of course they will be looking for coordinates, but if you're in the water and a half mile from your boat, you probably don't want them to spend time looking for the boat instead of you. The boat will be easier to see and that's probably where they would first go. If the MMSI is identified as a handheld they won't be focusing on looking for a boat, but instead focus solely on the coordinates. And what if you're using your handheld on a different boat? Could also lead to confusion. Every minute could count so none should be wasted. Confusion wastes time.

So, if I'm Out on the water and want to call a boat that I can see a few hundred yards off, I use channel 16 to contact them then switch over to a not so public channel?

So, if I'm Out on the water and want to call a boat that I can see a few hundred yards off, I use channel 16 to contact them then switch over to a not so public channel?

Exactly. But all the channels are public in the sense that anyone with a radio (or scanner) in range can hear your conversation. If you converse on 16, the coast guard will quickly interrupt to ask you to take the conversation to a "working channel". If you Google "VHF marine channels Canada" you will discover that there are charts that people have made that explain the various channels and their allocation. The "recreational", "pleasure" or "non-commercial" channels that are often listed are in the 68-72 range (except for 70, which is reserved for DSC use). High Five is right about taking the course. I found it useful and it answers all questions. Given that VHF communications are vital for shipping and marine safety, knowing the rules and protocols is important. It is nothing like what CB radio was.

I had similar questions regarding the use of a handheld VHF and MMSI numbers recently. For anyone who's interested, this is the email that I received from Industry Canada.

"With the increasing use of handhelds in the marine world by kayakers, scuba divers and others type of activities for which the radio is not associated with a "vessel", new policies were recently developed in regards to the issuance of MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) and MI (Maritime Identity).

Note that MI numbers are now issued for the handheld use onboard kayaks, by scuba divers or handhelds not associated with a vessel. MI numbers are not registered with the ITU like the MMSIs are. Only Canadian Cost Guard will be notified in the event of an emergency."

Oh, and Fisher Dude, definitely do the ROC(M) course. As others have said, it's really easy but teaches you a lot or important points. I did mine through self-study as there wasn't any power squadron classes at the time.

i will definitely look into taking the course. i dont know if they will have it around here but ill look none the less. thanks guys!

Great the handheld I just recently got a new one that has MMSI and have not put my code in. I take it with me sometimes when I am other people's boats etc....just in case. Suppose I will need a MI number instead.... I was going to use my number I have assigned to my boat on my main radio....but never liked idea especially if I ever get separated from my boat.....

High Five

I got a separate MMSI for my handheld in January. I asked for a separate one and explained the rationale and they issued one. No mention was made of an "MI" number. I tried to search the Industry Canada web site for MI and nothing came up.

Okay just to clear up some points on MMSI and correct me if i'm wrong it's been a few years. Unless your handheld or fixed VHF have built in GPS or are hard wired into your GPS you have to manually type in your lat/long. So it will do no good to flip the little red switch you will be waiting a long time.

Here's her contact info that I have if you want to phone

Industry Canada | Industrie Canada
13401 108th Avenue, Surrey BC V3T 5V6 | 13401-108e avenue, Surrey BC V3T 5V6
Lesleigh.Stanley@ic.gc.ca
Telephone | Téléphone 604-930-8691 x144
Facsimile | Télécopieur 604-666-5473
Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur 1-866-694-8389
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

If your looking to take the ROC course it is only offered via Power Squadrons. Started in June to do the self study and after much searching, was informed by a local lower mainland Power Squadron rep that they do not allow an individual to challenge the course, which means paying the full price of the course to them. So if your like I, having thirty years of radio use your forced to attend two days of courses and spend the extra bucks to obtain a ROC. An alternative according to the ROC center is available to obtaining a RO? thru authorized learning centers, BCIT being one. After passing their course (Three days) it entitles usage of not only the VHF but additional communications equipment.

Okay just to clear up some points on MMSI and correct me if i'm wrong it's been a few years. Unless your handheld or fixed VHF have built in GPS or are hard wired into your GPS you have to manually type in your lat/long. So it will do no good to flip the little red switch you will be waiting a long time.

that right halilogger. Many handhelds are coming with built in gps now , but if your handheld is older than 2 years and cost less than 400. it probably does not have gps.

beemer

Back