US Lien Search

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

So everything is going well with my US boat purchase it is pretty straigth forward and I am doing everything according to advice I have found on various diffrent websites. However almost everybody says do a Lien search before you buy it. But nobody says how you do a lien search and the internet is just full of sites with confusing information. So here its to all you guy's who buy boats in the states how do you do the lien search?

Marty

I didnt do a lien search for the boat i baught in Oregon...Im not saying dont do one, but in my case I didnt do it...the owner signed both titles over to me (1 for boat, 1 for trailer) and i did up a bill of sale (seperate the prices for Boat, Motor, Trailer) On the bill of sale indicate that there are no outstanding liens etc and get the seller to sign it. Just a heads up, when you are driving back into canada with your new boat in tow, you will get to the border you will be asked to provide email correspondances and adds to prove your not trying to be fraudulant on what you paid for the boat. I had done my homework and had my craigslist add aswell as all my email correspondances from the seller, it was a very easy process, paid my GST/PST tax on the Boat and GST on the trailer. If your trailer is older than 15 years it will be RIV exempt and therefor will not require an inspection. You can then bring the trailer to any ICBC Broker, they will verifty the VIN, you then pay the PST (if you seperate the bill of sale Boat, motor, trialer you only pay PST for the price listed for the trailer!!!) and you can insure it.....If it is newer than 15 years, you will have to pay a RIV fee at the border (200$ish dollars) and they will give you a form to get a Federal inspection done at Canadian Tire, then once signed off, you can get insurance on the trailer. If you have any other questions let me know.

cheers
sudsy

Oh just a note, i didnt utilize a boat broker, i did this all myself, if you are using a Broker the process will be different as they take care of all the paperwork for you, at a cost of course....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guy's

So everything is going well with my US boat purchase it is pretty straigth forward and I am doing everything according to advice I have found on various diffrent websites. However almost everybody says do a Lien search before you buy it. But nobody says how you do a lien search and the internet is just full of sites with confusing information. So here its to all you guy's who buy boats in the states how do you do the lien search?

Marty

The "TITLE" is an actual document issued by the State. Clear title = no liens or encumbrances. You need the original, clear Title Certificate to bring the boat back. First question I would ask is if they have the clear title...if not, be prepared to deal with red tape, and a longer wait to export. If the seller has financed the boat, and still owes money, the financial institution has title, and will not release interest until it's paid out in full. In the states they can do child support liens on vehicles.

A title certificate should have the identification number of the boat, as well as the name of the seller. So you have to confirm that it's his/her name, and that the number matches the boat (and also the trailer) you are purchasing. The seller will not have a clear and free title unless it's paid for in full, and he/she owns it outright: no outstanding loans, no interest from a 3rd party, free of any encumbrances. I bought my boat with the help of a broker and they guaranteed clear title.

The title is free and clear, I as just wondering if there is away to check for any liens from mechanics or boat yards...

I'd suggest having a U.S. Notary do a search. My sale documents all have the seal and signature of a Notary.

If they have the title I would say its good to go. If there was a lien they would not have the title.

If your bringing the boat accross yourself, the canadian border agents will want to see the titles for the boat and trailer, i didnt need any notaries, i met the seller in blaine wa, and drove it to the crossing and declared i had just bought the boat, they directed me inside where i then gave them all my paperwork, and they verified the information i gave them (vins & hull id) and once the taxes were paid i was let go. I got an insurance binder on the trailer prior to leaving canada, it was like 30$ at any icbc insurance location, basically extends my coverage of my truck to the trailer as soon as its in BC, from point a to point b....

I will always look south for boats as its such a simple process if you do your homework!

Links regarding insurance

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/trippermits.html

http://www.icbc.com/registration-licensing/buy-vehicle/import-vehicle

if you do the the deal private make sure you have a copy of the sales agreement with you at all times... rcmp gave me a warning about this.

If they have the title I would say its good to go. If there was a lien they would not have the title.

Title is the key to the highway. If the Title was issued in two names (As in Mr. and Mrs), get release signatures from BOTH listed names because the Mrs. will have a lien.

Once you get signatures (which is in effect Title Transfer) get the Seller to sign a doc that he agrees to notify the appropriate State Licensing Agency to inform them he sold the boat/trailer --- that doc would in most cases include names of BOTH Seller and Buyer. In Washington State it's a law---notification of a sale and a Title Transfer must be within 5 days of the transaction.

That Doc would bullet-proof you if someone "thinks" they have a lien. Basically, if Title's in your name free and clear, lien is no longer part of the vocabulary associated with the transaction

Captain PartyMarty
If you have the original titles signed over to you and have separate bills of sale (1 for boat and 1 for trailer) and all serial numbers are correct,( i.e. numbers on paper must match the numbers on the boat, trailer, etc.) and the trailer tag is legible then you shouldn't have any problem. You should check with RIV to make sure that the trailer is admissible into Canada. It is harder to bring the trailer into Canada than the boat.
Bought my boat a couple of years ago in the US, it was a breeze bringing it across the border. Took about 15 minutes with border services and another 5 minutes at RIV. They only wanted my credit card, they didn't even go out and look at the boat.

Back