Understanding tides??

Oh man AA, I might have a hard time finding the source. Hundreds of pages opened in my browser since I was there. I should have saved it. The page was all about underwater harmonics related to fishing. He did also have the other relationships you mentioned as well.

Ok found it. This was not the original site I was reading, it must have been a repost of the main body of the text. It is a long, but interesting read. The quoted portion is near the end of the article. I had never heard that either, that's why I posted it, as I found it interesting.

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/fishing_tactics/message.html?message_id=147732

Last edited:
Oh man AA, I might have a hard time finding the source. Hundreds of pages opened in my browser since I was there. I should have saved it. The page was all about underwater harmonics related to fishing. He did also have the other relationships you mentioned as well.

Ok found it. This was not the original site I was reading, it must have been a repost of the main body of the text. It is a long, but interesting read. The quoted portion is near the end of the article. I had never heard that either, that's why I posted it, as I found it interesting.

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/fishing_tactics/message.html?message_id=147732
Thanks TBG! Guess that was info for freshwater fish and lures in FW. Too bad the author never listed the frequencies of the noise from those lures. I would think the ocean would be a noisy place to hear a lure - unless the fish was close to the lure.
hearing2.jpg

Last edited:
The big Colorado blades used in Musky fishing put out a pretty good thump underwater. In the old days here T-spoons were a very popular and effective lure in the chuck. On the American west coast forums spinners are still widely used in the ocean (even in Alaska). If anything I'd say they are gaining in popularity, and have seen a big resurgence in use in the ocean. I've often considered throwing out a Tee Spoon at times, but never actually do put one out.

Next we will be fishing in white lab coats.
Maybe, OnTick. I don't think anyone would seriously argue that our ability to use technology (GPS, sonar, etc.) to find and access fish (and the patterns that drive what they do) hasn't assisted us in catching them - for good or bad...

Last edited:
Sent is also a big factor, Lots of us douse our lures and flashers. When going with the current the fish will catch the scent of your lure.

I agree with a lot which has been said....however you have to apply the information the RIGHT way.

Stay on the fish and that makes a big difference. It makes no sense to troll way off the fish for the sake of "trolling with the tide".

Case in point...the tide is ebbing mid flow, you hook a double at a given waypoint...land 1 of that 2 and were trolling with the current at 180'.....trolling with the current makes sense right? Well, the fish aren't a half mile "downstream" of where you hooked up. The fish are right where you u hooked up....on the edge of the backeddy on the corner of the structure-current 1/2 mile upstream. You are able to get strikes trolling both ways including holding in the current or making 45 degree angles with the right action on your lures.

Unfortunately, what you weren't able to observe is that there was a half football field sized bait school on the edge of your p66 transducer beam where 20 Chinooks were eating. However, by the time you clean your Chinook back at the dock you notice there were 4 5" Herring in each fish you had.

If you're on structure, definitely fish the structure without getting blown off it. If the fish are sparse and the tide is smokin', search and troll with the tide to be where you want to be when the bites time is on at the location you need to be.

Don't over think this information.

Analysis and observation makes a better fisher each time out.

Guides do this better than most on the water....thAt's part of the reason guides outfish many if not most.

Next we will be fishing in white lab coats.
Yep, make sure you drop the bathythermograph probe and break out the raypath plot kit for the active side. Don't forget to allow for salinity and pressure as well as "afternoon effect"!

For the fish hearing the lure, you might want to use the passive sonar equation as opposed to the active sonar equation! Finding a sound channel would still be useful. Would also be nice if we could hearing test the fish so we know what number to plug into the equation?

Then again, maybe we should just fish?

Yep, make sure you drop the bathythermograph probe and break out the raypath plot kit for the active side. Don't forget to allow for salinity and pressure as well as "afternoon effect"!

For the fish hearing the lure, you might want to use the passive sonar equation as opposed to the active sonar equation! Finding a sound channel would still be useful. Would also be nice if we could hearing test the fish so we know what number to plug into the equation?

I grew up fishing without electronics, so I know that game well. I had to find underwater reefs by triangulating land marks. Wastes a lot of valuable time on a brief period of slack water though. At $15-25 a jig and $50 a cannon ball not having electronics gets expensive real fast. We all rely on our scientific aids for good reason. Try fishing without them for a bit and you realize how important they are.

I don't think it has to be an "either/or" situation - more like a "both", Ziggy. Every time a fisherman changes the colour of his lure - he is going through the same "investigative" process of trying to figure-out why fish do what they do. Maybe we don't need the latest gadgets - but as TheBigGuy pointed out - it saves time and often trouble to use the basic "necessities". I guess the debate is on - is what is the "necessities" verses the "niceties".

I don't think it has to be
I grew up fishing without electronics, so I know that game well. I had to find underwater reefs by triangulating land marks. Wastes a lot of valuable time on a brief period of slack water though. At $15-25 a jig and $50 a cannon ball not having electronics gets expensive real fast. We all rely on our scientific aids for good reason. Try fishing without them for a bit and you realize how important they are.
I agree electronics are good?

Electronics are great, that wasn't the point. Just jabbin a bit of fun at what seemed to me like a bit of "overthinking it".

We are working with a wild being that has a brain. Put your gear in the right place as the right time and you'll get fish. If they are biting you could prob drag a brick behind a flasher and it'll get hit.

I don't think it has to be an "either/or" situation - more like a "both", Ziggy. Every time a fisherman changes the colour of his lure - he is going through the same "investigative" process of trying to figure-out why fish do what they do. Maybe we don't need the latest gadgets - but as TheBigGuy pointed out - it saves time and often trouble to use the basic "necessities". I guess the debate is on - is what is the "necessities" verses the "niceties".
Never said it was either or? Just pointing out the finer points of calculating sound propogation and the difference between active and passive sonars. Thought it might be of interest to those with more inquiring minds. Your example of the U boat would have been an active asdic whereas TBG was talking a passive situation.

Back