Tuna charter

ryanb

Hi,

Me and some friends are looking at doing a tuna charter this August or September. Looking at the trips out of WA, price is a bit high once you factor in processing and exchange rates. A trip out of WCVI would be a bit more affordable, but I understand you don't get the live bait stop experience.

Anyone ever done both? How would they compare? Lots of info on the WA operators out there, but who does a good tuna charter this side of the border?

Thanks

Last edited:
Haven't done any out of wcvi but I will tell you a wide open live bait bite is something to behold. I can give you names of express charter outfits out of Westport WA that I highly recommend, if you wan't to go that way. Extra cost will be well worth it in my opinion.

What he said !!!

You might get one or two on the troll. Or you might get 45 or 50 on live bait if your boat has the capacity to ice them all down. The cost per pound of product on a successful trip is better than any other fishery we have.

fb

Haven't done any out of wcvi but I will tell you a wide open live bait bite is something to behold. I can give you names of express charter outfits out of Westport WA that I highly recommend, if you wan't to go that way. Extra cost will be well worth it in my opinion.

I would love those contacts please!

I have a friend who goes to Westport once sometimes twice a year with set groups of guys so they get the whole boat to themselves. He has tried various outfits over the years and now fishes with Ocean Sportfishing and on a boat called the Ranger. He says a good captain and they net the tuna not gaff. He says the crew really make all efforts to give you the best quality product to take home. And as said earlier Gary has told me about 8 hour long drifts with constant action....then it ends and they troll until they find the next school of tuna and they start the next drift.n Here is a video link

I am guessing it is mainly because of the lack of availibility of live anchovies?When the bite goes off the hook they can be caught with well preserved frozen chovies also. Well engineered dedicated bait tank systems are also needed to keep live ones from dying in offshore conditions.

I would love those contacts please!

Out of Westport,
Darrell Johnson of Far Corners guide service, a six-pack 30 ft center console unit, and Darrell is a top notch guide that I've fished with, one of the best on the coast.
Mark Coleman's All Star Charters, not fished with them but heard great things.

I can vouch for those two services. They're all pretty booked up by now, with only a couple slots open. Popular fishery, not many competent charters, book early!

fb

Mark Colemans business is All Rivers & Salwater Charters not All Star Charters. He is one of the recommends I sent ILHG. I have heard good things about Darrel of far corners but have not fished with him.

Thanks for the recommendation of all rivers. That's who I was looking at out of Westport. Still interested in a trip out of Wcvi for this year though. Anyone done a charter or know someone that has up here?

Last edited:
The farther south you go the shorter the boat ride in general - Oregon sometimes 15-20 miles.

Thanks for the recommendation of all rivers. That's who I was looking at out of Westport. Still interested in a trip out of Wcvi for this year though. Anyone done a charter or know someone that has up here?[/QUOTE
Tofino Ospray does, I think a few lodges too....all are weather dependent

Mark Colemans business is All Rivers & Salwater Charters not All Star Charters. He is one of the recommends I sent ILHG. I have heard good things about Darrel of far corners but have not fished with him.

Right, what you said, All Rivers.

fb

The farther south you go the shorter the boat ride in general - Oregon sometimes 15-20 miles.
The time I went out of Ilwaco with Sculpin we fished over 40 out and had a 4 hr run back in.

Back