Trying to Find a 10K Seaworthy Boat

cymru

Here is the problem. I am not a millionaire so obvious and desired choices are out! Given my limited budget of around 10K, I am trying to find a decent seaworthy 24-26 ft boat. So far, I am considering a couple boats, Double Eagle, Sangster and Hourston; BUT, given my budget they are older boats. I will of course check out the stringers, transom and whatnot, but does anyone have a good idea of boats in this cheap price range--or should I forget about it and wait until I win the lottery (which is never!).

Keep looking you will find one. I basically stole my 24' zeta. Needed minor work, and I have more modifications planned for her. She's an older lady, born in 1974, but apparently fiberglass was cheap back then. My hull is at leat 5\8 thick solid fiberglass. Try to find a newer boat with that hull thickness. There are benefits to a newer boat, but there are also drawbacks. Older is okay, as long as they are not rotten.

I'd rule out the sinkster right away, but thats just me had 1 that left a bad taste years ago.
dont forget to look at the campions as well, very nice BC built boats,
I would think for 10k you will find one that fits the bill, might need a little cosmetics but they are out there

Not sure I'd want a boat that has been used for 'gunkholing' - whatever the hell that is...

wiki says.........

Gunkholing is a boating and sea kayaking term referring to a type of cruising in shallow or shoal water, meandering from place to place, spending the nights in coves. The term refers to the gunk, or mud, typical of the creeks, coves, marshes, sloughs, and rivers that are referred to as gunkholes. While not necessary, gunkholers typically seek out the serenity of isolated anchorages over the crowds of marinas and popular bays, and a minimal draft is preferred, since gunkholers tend to go as far up and into the gunkholes as possible, seeking ever more inaccessible destinations.

wtf........gunkholing???........ lol
yea maybe stay away from that one, could be contageous

If your looking at older boats and the price is high the cost is all in the motor. If your going to have it checked over figured who is going to do it so when you come across a prospect you can get it gone over asap. Good deals come and go very fast on used vic etc. You can get a very nice nice boat for 10g.

10 grand can go a long way south of the border, dont let the import process scare you, its extremely simple, i did it last year and got way more for my money.

Cheers
Sudsy

Definately look south! I picked up my 19ft alluminum, loaded with fishing goodies for 3-5K less than I could have found here. I could still sell it for more than I paid 2 years later.

I know when we want something, we usually want it right now, which may cause us to purchase something that we may later question. Best advice take your time, this is not the best time to buy, it is fishing season. There are is a lot of 'junk' being sold, so take your time, you will find the right boat.

Going south for a used boat at 10K or under is not worth it if you have to pay 3-4K for shipping! You may find a decent deal on a boat close to the border in Washington or Oregon that you can trailer it back yourself but you will need a trailer to ship it and your % savings in Pacific Northwest at your price range will be minimal amount, if anything. I'd look to Washington/Oregon only to find the right boat for you and not because you are going to save a bunch of money.

There is a 27' SeaRay ( mid eighties) for 7,500 advertised in the West Marine in Kitsilano near GI. Its on their bulletin board.

You will almost certainly find better value in boats not located on Vancouver Island (it's a fine place to sell a boat though). US boats are OK if you can drive there and pick up yourself, shipping from further afield negates any cost savings on a boat in that range.

+1 on looking south of the border...you just have to be prepared for a bit of effort, and a small amount of risk.

The better deals are found in the east. Look on Craigslist for boats in the Great Lake areas. LOTS of good boats out there, with cheap, older power that have been run in freshwater their whole life. I have a Whaler Outrage I picked up in Iowa for about 60% of what it would sell for on the west coast. It has a 1985 Johnson 150 on it that runs like a top...the thing is so corrosion free that working on it is like working on a 2 year old saltwater engine. Importation of a boat is a easy as importing a chesterfield from JC Penny. The trailer only slightly more difficult.

cheers

Thanks to all for the notes. Way over 10K I reckon it is a best to look south, at my limit it is a toss up, it could go one way or the other.

Given the 10K or so mark, wouldn't a 22' CND double eagle or a 24' US skipjack be more sea worthy than a 28' sea ray sun dancer or whatever?

Thanks again

Back