True Cod - Haystacks

P

Pablo2079

In some really dated books, I've read that Pacific Cod spawn in the winter over sandy bottoms. Apparently, on the depth sounder, it will look like a big haystack.

Does anyone fish for them on the inside? I've caught some jigging before, but not a ton. Just curious if they've been depleted in the strait too.

When i was a kid, my dad and i went to laconner to fish for true cod and pile perch.It didn't seem to matter much what time off year.we would fish right off the dock with a drop sinker and those blue mussels we would scrape off.Using light gear it was a blast.I'm not sure how big they got but i think they averaged 3-5 lbs.But now there gone, they destroyed there habitat in the name of progress tore out all the eel grass.We caught perch the same way thet went up to 3lbs.There was also a fish processing plant just down stream thats now defunct.I have fished in puget sound for years trolling around, and have never caught anymore.I'd be curious to know how other people do.

I catch them occassionally in the Strait, but I'm not targeting them.... they run from about tiny to about 10 pounds. Since I don't catch many, I've let go more than I've kept.

Usually pick them up jigging....

Back