Truck tranny issue

Birdsnest

I was going to go to bamfield for afternoon from tofino but I didn't make it. 3miles out, towing my boat, my tranny warning light comes on and the truck looses power in it doesn't sound good. I drive very slow until I can pull off the high way and when I stop I put the truck in park. The motor is lugging in park a bit so something is very wrong. I put it in Park and it idles fine. I turn the ignition off for a while and start the truck again and when placed in gear it is lugging again. I'm screwed think so I call a buddy to come get my boat so I can limp my truck home. So after a bit I start the truck again. Idles fine. Put it drive, it idles fine, start to drive away sounds normal no problem. But then when I stop it turn onto the highway it is lugging again at idle while I am stopped. I turn it off again and start it again and drive home carefully and just decide to abort the whole trip. The tranny warning light is still on. Unhook the boat and drive the truck a couple hours later on a short trip. It runs just fine and the caution light goes off. WTF! Thats bad good news I think cuz now when I take it to the shop they may/ likely will say "there is nothing wrong with it, what do you want us to do". This is a brand new tranny with a full warranty still. Thats what bugs me abit here. It is not an overheat just in case anyone is wondering but the loss of power seemed a bit like a limiter of some kind to protect from further damage.

Should I take my boat for another tow and see if I can make it happen again?
Obviously I will take it to the shop monday and get the codes of the motor.

Any ideas?

Thanks for reading my rant.

The boat weighs 3500 lbs loaded so not to heavy. DODGE:( 2500 2006 diesel. I have over heated the tranny other times and there is a caution light for that but it is not the light that came on. Still though you could be right.

Here comes the dodge wise cracks, I deserve it. I couldn't afford a duramax. I guess after the brand new tranny I put in I could have. Dam!

Sold my Duramax, bought a new Dodge 2500 in 2010! The Duramax was alright, but the truck wasn't rated to pull my 40' 5th wheel!
The 6.7 Cummins with the 6 speed, 1 ton springs and Firestone airbags, pulls it from Ab. to the Island without a problem, the tranny never gets over 40*.
My trailer weighs 16.000 lbs empty!
Miss the ride and the options I had in the Silverado though.

Sold my Duramax, bought a new Dodge 2500 in 2010! The Duramax was alright, but the truck wasn't rated to pull my 40' 5th wheel!
The 6.7 Cummins with the 6 speed, 1 ton springs and Firestone airbags, pulls it from Ab. to the Island without a problem, the tranny never gets over 40*.
My trailer weighs 16.000 lbs empty!
Miss the ride and the options I had in the Silverado though.

Wow. I love those airbags. I just put some in this spring and they do make a difference.

Birdsnest, it sounds like a possible torque converter issue. I'm not totally up to speed on the Dodge autos, but if the converter lock-up is not unlocking when it should, it would exhibit symptoms like you're experiencing. Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone when I should be fishing.

Don't drive it till you talk to the shop Monday...they may thank-you for doing that.It may have a bad gov. pressure or and or gov. transducer solenoid..or...or.....just have the shop diagnose it.Don't drive it and burn it up.

Don't drive it till you talk to the shop Monday...they may thank-you for doing that.It may have a bad gov. pressure or and or gov. transducer solenoid..or...or.....just have the shop diagnose it.Don't drive it and burn it up.

TO LATE: I had to launch the boat and I figured since everything seemed normal, me knowing me, went and drove it around for a while to see if I could do it again. I couldn't.
Also, a while back when I was getting my oil changed at LubeX the guys there said that my tranny oil had lots of bubbles in it and that it needed a defoaming agent and something else for $200 or something. I declined and went strait to my mechanic who said it was not an issue. I am starting to wonder now. Going to the shop monday.

Thanks for the input. This stuff makes me nutz!!

I had a knee jerk reaction to my issue with my truck while towing my trailer the other day. I have had so many issues with the new tranny that I assumed it was the tranny. It in fact was not. Turns out to be an electrical problem amongst the injector configuration. This fault when detected shuts down any associated injectors which causes loss of power/ lugging to protect the CPU. Could be a bad injector more likely a faulty wire.

Was wondering what could possibly lug down that diesel. Every transmission guy out there knows the 48re in and out. In fact I wish everyone drove one. Great mortgage helpers for us.

Sell it! I had the same problem with my 06 dodge. After $6000 and 2 years of searching I bought a new truck. Be careful with replacing injectors they are expensive and did not solve my problem. In my case it would often happen shortly after connecting the boat trailer lights.

Back