Truck shortages

If anyone is looking at picking up a new truck for the fall, you may want to order it soon.
4 month leadtime on the Ram 2500 I just ordered. Apparently less than 250 Ram 2500/3500s in stock in Canada.
A friend was at the Chevy dealer last week and no stock either. All the trucks they had were fleet trucks lined up to make it look like they had inventory.

I had same issue few months ago. I bought a 3 year old Chevy Silverado with 50k, and pretty much all options I wanted instead on the lot. The only new trucks really you seem to be able to get are base models.

I am happy I got a used one honestly. The new one for what I wanted was over 65k.

The shortage has more to do with semiconductor shortages, and manufacturers scaling back forecasts due to COVID. Sales forecast are most likely out of the window so makes no sense for them to sit on inventory.

I had same issue few months ago. I bought a 3 year old Chevy Silverado with 50k, and pretty much all options I wanted instead on the lot. The only new trucks really you seem to be able to get are base models.

I am happy I got a used one honestly. The new one for what I wanted was over 65k.

The shortage has more to do with semiconductor shortages, and manufacturers scaling back forecasts due to COVID. Sales forecast are most likely out of the window so makes no sense for them to sit on inventory.
Sadly the lack of vehicles is creating issues for most commercial applications, followed by 1500, 2500, 3500 trucks of all discriptions.

I have well over 30 vehicles on order for some of my clients, I have bought many a year or two old when I can find them at a reasonable rate.

Factory orders are for the most taking 6 months +-....

Higher end cross overs, SUV's etc are in demand too....

Make sure if you are ordering a vehicle that the company you are dealing with truly knows what will be built.....too many "dealers" will tie people up with factory orders that won't arrive for a very long time....

Auto manufacturers largely led the move to the Just In Time Delivery concept that is now embraced by almost all large manufacturing operations. Although they understand that supply chain disruptions make them vulnerable, the benefits are too great to pass up. The car and truck plants have long since repurposed or removed the huge warehouses that used to hold a full production run quantity of parts, so there is no easy or quick way to revert back to the ways of old.

I don't see government having a role here unless as you say they decide that some semiconductor boards are strategically important and are to be controlled and stockpiled as such. But which boards? Could government keep up to changing demand as technologies advance? More importantly, should they? There would be howls of protest from many quarters if government intervened with industry on something like this.

You can deride the automakers' relentless search for savings and cost reductions all you want, but your bucks buy a lot more truck than they used to. Detroit isn't the only one benefiting here.
You seem to have created a rebuttal to something I never advocated. Where did you get the idea that I was advocating for dismantling of "Just in Time Delivery". There is world of difference between that and a nation maintaining the ability to manufacture its own computer chips, which are absolutely critical to every aspect of a modern economy, and it's a lot more than just new trucks.

As for "your bucks buying a lot more truck than they used to" that's debatable. Newer trucks have a lot of new tech and bells and whistles, but in my opinion from the perspective of overall purchase cost, longevity, reliability, robustness, ease and cost of repair, they are inferior to some older trucks. That is especially true if they are going to be used for work back in the bush, where robustness, reliability and ease of bush repair is everything. You used to be able to get decades out of a well-built truck, now they often seem to just make it through the warranty period before they start throwing lots of codes and needing expensive work. Vehicles are more and more being designed to make them very expensive to repair. For example one of my vehicles has the T-stat built into a component unit and cannot be replaced for a few dollars if it fails. You have to buy the complete proprietary component to get the T-stat built into it, and it is hundreds of dollars.
I have seen some out of warranty vehicles, where you are lucky if you can go three weeks without them throwing codes for something. The dealerships love that of course, as they make a lot of money off of computerized diagnosis, resets, $180.00 an hour repair charges and expensive integrated proprietary parts designed not to be serviced or repaired. Then there is the aggravation factor of all that code throwing and PITA which helps to sell you a new vehicle.

Perhaps it is unfair to single out the vehicle industry for creating shorter life and increasingly complex and disposable components. More and more manufacturing seems to be going that way. If you buy some high-end items, it is cheaper for the manufactures to just replace it, if it is in warranty. If it is out of warranty, its disposable, no parts available, no matter how many thousands of dollars you paid for it a few years back. At least the vehicle industry has not gone that far.

By the way, the lack of chips is not just effecting the delivery of new vehicles, I am aware of a guy with an expensive bricked truck that has been sitting in his driveway for a couple of months waiting for a replacement chip.

Last edited:
I don't know about that.
Close to $100k to replace my 2005 2500hd duramax. I don't think the new model would last as long as the current model.
Since it is just a personal truck, I have to make $150k before taxes to buy a $100k truck.
Accordingly, been spending some dough fixing up the old girl.
Yeah doing the same with my 02 F350. Just had the heads replaced and now think the Vehicle Security Monitor is screwed up ( worked prior to the heads being done). Bills are mounting up and I was thinking time to get rid of her, then while killing time while she was being serviced, I looked at the trucks on the lot. Yikes talk about sticker shock! Might break down and get a new VSM afterall.

$100,000 for a truck is crazy. Even if you make money with it, you’ve got to be making a lot of money for it to be worthwhile. If it’s just to camp amd pull a boat, that kind of money gets very hard to justify. And then there’s insurance and operating costs before you even talk about a boat or camper!! Recreational property at half a million dollars starts to sound downright cheap. And it doesn’t depreciate!

Last edited:
$100,000 for a truck is crazy. Even if you make money with it, you’ve got to be making a lot of money. If it’s just to camp amd pull a boat, that kind of money gets very hard to justify. And then there’s insurance and operating costs before you even talk about a boat or camper!! Recreational property at half a million dollars starts to sound downright cheap. And it doesn’t depreciate!
But they tax that as well! Camper is the only thing you don’t need to insure and some people don’t pay taxes on them when they sell them or buy them but if anyone is asking everyone I know makes sure John and Justin get their fair share ;)

You seem to have created a rebuttal to something I never advocated. Where did you get the idea that I was advocating for dismantling of "Just in Time Delivery". There is world of difference between that and a nation maintaining the ability to manufacture its own computer chips, which are absolutely critical to every aspect of a modern economy, and it's a lot more than just new trucks.
You threw out a flip complaint that gummint oughtta do something and that auto makers cut corners for a couple bucks. Those procurement decisions are made years ahead; government has nothing to do with them, and nor should they. Industry built the current system and they'll make the moves to make it more resilient.

One good disruption to supply chains and people are wigging out because they're inconvenienced. Where were all those experts a couple of years ago warning us of the vulnerability of supply chains to a worldwide pandemic? Did those experts tell government that vaccines and masks would become strategic commodities?

I was thinking about selling my 2000 F 350 with the 7.3 as I just got a brand new 350 with the 6.7 for work. But after reading all this I’m not too sure I want too. Good thing it’s the same colour as gold I’m starting to think it is !!!!!

I was thinking about selling my 2000 F 350 with the 7.3 as I just got a brand new 350 with the 6.7 for work. But after reading all this I’m not too sure I want too. Good thing it’s the same colour as gold I’m starting to think it is !!!!!
Don’t sell it. But I’ll buy it lol.

I’m fine with my 2012 ram 3500. I’m gonna keep it for a long time and lease a little truck to putt around in. The Ford maverick looks great for my day to day commuting. But Ford Wants 7% for their financing so I guess I’m paying cash or using a bank

Back