Truck shortages

pdfish

If anyone is looking at picking up a new truck for the fall, you may want to order it soon.
4 month leadtime on the Ram 2500 I just ordered. Apparently less than 250 Ram 2500/3500s in stock in Canada.
A friend was at the Chevy dealer last week and no stock either. All the trucks they had were fleet trucks lined up to make it look like they had inventory.

I have had people place notes under my wipers asking if I want to sell my 2500 HD 4x4 long box, as they see it mostly sitting in a friend's large driveway. Apparently a lot of dealer types are trying to hunt down and buy up used trucks. I have heard rumours that some are being sent to the US.

I have had people place notes under my wipers asking if I want to sell my 2500 HD 4x4 long box, as they see it mostly sitting in a friend's large driveway. Apparently a lot of dealer types are trying to hunt down and buy up used trucks. I have heard rumours that some are being sent to the US.

Oh yeah, it's true for sure. Used trucks are being sent down to the USA due to huge demand and the weak-ish Canadian dollar. I could sell my older F150 for decent money but then what? On the buying side there's limited selection and high prices!

Oh yeah, it's true for sure. Used trucks are being sent down to the USA due to huge demand and the weak-ish Canadian dollar. I could sell my older F150 for decent money but then what? On the buying side there's limited selection and high prices!

The Ford dealer that I deal with has only 8 F150s in stock...all XLT models (mid-grade spec). Nothing in higher-spec F150s and zero F350s

I put my Duramax for sale last week and 90 percent of my responses are from dealers wanting to export into the USA

My GMC dealer phones me once a month to buy my 2011 2500hd with 340000km on it lol, so bad I ended up blocking the phone number
I get the same from GO Dodge. I didn’t even buy it there but they know I have it and they want it.

I get the same from GO Dodge. I didn’t even buy it there but they know I have it and they want it.
Lol, I did buy mine from them, # 8, usually lease, but this one I bought, went in last year to maybe get a new one and the price almost made me vomit 98k so I decide to ride this one a bit longer

Try being in the business! :oops:

With no end in sight.....

Ford cancelled 1,000,000 vehicle builds, sounds like they are not building any trucks with higher trim than the XLT (which can be dressed up pretty good)

Rumor also has it that at least one of the big three will not be doing any fleet sales going ahead.

The above picture of the Fords is all Super Duty waiting on the chip. 100,000 in that one location, never mind other manufacturers needing them

Majority are selling for full MSRP and in some cases higher.

No real end in sight yet.

Sounds like a lack of planning on the part of both industry and North America governments. They let the chip manufacturing go offshore to save a few bucks per unit, and now we are screwed. Industry needs to plan like China does and look beyond just making the shareholders happy for the next quarter. Canada did the same thing with our ability to make our own Vaccines and when a crisis hit we were screwed. Start making chips back in N.A. I understand a lot of chips are made in Taiwan, which given the politics with China could become a hot spot, and possibly lead to even less chips on the world market. Perhaps the west should start to think of chip manufacturing as a strategic asset.

In the news they say a water shortage in Taiwan will impact the biggest chip manufacturers. So it is about to get worse?

Me and my wife have made an agreement not to buy anything to this covid stupid market settles down. WE have been put though the ringer on our bathroom reno and we are simply putting off any major expenditures till we settle down into a new normal market.

we have went from a costumers market to. Take it or leave it, this is what it is, if you dont like it F off we got a line up of people that want it.

Sounds like a lack of planning on the part of both industry and North America governments. They let the chip manufacturing go offshore to save a few bucks per unit, and now we are screwed.
Auto manufacturers largely led the move to the Just In Time Delivery concept that is now embraced by almost all large manufacturing operations. Although they understand that supply chain disruptions make them vulnerable, the benefits are too great to pass up. The car and truck plants have long since repurposed or removed the huge warehouses that used to hold a full production run quantity of parts, so there is no easy or quick way to revert back to the ways of old.

I don't see government having a role here unless as you say they decide that some semiconductor boards are strategically important and are to be controlled and stockpiled as such. But which boards? Could government keep up to changing demand as technologies advance? More importantly, should they? There would be howls of protest from many quarters if government intervened with industry on something like this.

You can deride the automakers' relentless search for savings and cost reductions all you want, but your bucks buy a lot more truck than they used to. Detroit isn't the only one benefiting here.

I don't know about that.
Close to $100k to replace my 2005 2500hd duramax. I don't think the new model would last as long as the current model.
Since it is just a personal truck, I have to make $150k before taxes to buy a $100k truck.
Accordingly, been spending some dough fixing up the old girl.

Back