Trout Fishing in Quamichan Lake

Nick J

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and after looking around a little bit I thought i might ask a few questions. I am relatively new to fishing and in particular freshwater fishing. Quamichan is home to many good sized rainbow trout in the 20+ inch range and during the winter I had great success trolling a small spoon on the surface. However, as the water temperature increases the fish move into the cooler deeper waters of the lake I don't know how to fish these areas. For some of the more experienced anglers on this forum this may seem like a very simple questions but I hope you will be willing to share your techniques for these deeper trout.

Usually in winter time the trout are down on the bottom feeding on whatever aren't they? They are sluggish and not that fast because the water is cold. I always heard you had to go pretty slow in winter for trolling because they don't have the energy/metabolism to chase much.

As the water warms up in spring they start to come up because the bug hatches/fry hatches are on for surface/river mouth food and they can move around faster because the water is warmer and easier on their metabolism.

When the water gets TOO warm (summer months) they head back down in the daytime to a depth where they are comfortable at. But they will still take jaunts into very warm water for a spell when they are hungry.

Quamichan may have it's own seasonal pecularities.....I've never fished it.

Cutts may be a bit of a different ballgame than Rainbows too.

Google "How To Fish Chironimids" for early,early season trout. All fly fishermen know what a chironimid is.

I've also read in many posts that,on some lakes, if you want the big fish-------go early in the morning (like daybreak). The big ones feed early and go back to bed after that LOL.

Cutts will hit "stillbait" but many a time they prefer a faster action spoon or spinner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy a South Van. Isle Lakes book.I think Bucky's Sport Shop carrys them. You'll find a fairly detailed map of Quamichan
Lake in its pages showing contours and depths. If my memory serves me correctly there are 2 deep holes " the deepest
is under 30 ft." You'll need a downrigger or 2 and a sounder. Target these holes trolling very slowly " 1 to 1.5 miles per
hour" pulling small 3in. tomic plugs "rainbow trout patterns work well in there" or a Dick Nite spoon,"also available at
Bucky's". I'm not so sure I would eat anything out of the lake now as the warmer water makes them quite " wormy".
As the summer months progress and the lake continues to warm up,you'll find the fish getting less and less cooperative
This has to do with algae problem in the lake,and subsiquent loss of oxegen in the water. My 2 cents.

Back