Trolling Without Downrigger-Plug or Spoon?

Dogbreath

If you were trolling from something like a Sailboat or even a Kayak and were just using an old style slip weight would you use a Plug</u> or a Spoon</u>?
Why</u> would you use one over the other?
Size?
No Flasher at all and a maximum of 8 ounces weight.
Yes I know it won't take many Springs but Coho and Lingcod are easy prey also Pinks if they're around (the brainless mutts).
This question is from some friends of mine-very casual fishermen.
I said I'd ask for some info/opinion because there are some very experienced Saltwater fishermen on this Forum.
TIA

Edited by - Dogbreath on 05/28/2005 23:45:57

Maybe we are too busy scratching out heads wondering why it has to be an 8 ounce weight max and no flasher! Some strange zone with severe restrictions (only place I ever heard of was around Campbell River, but that's a 6oz max). Also doesn't help that probably 90% of fishers from a boat use a downrigger.

Personally, when I have gone w/o downrigger, I use typically 16 oz/w flasher, and stick to coyotes or kripple K's, and hootchies - pink squirts great for pinks - mostly personal preference as I never got into using plugs. You'll also find if you get into 16 oz slips or 2 lb weights, you can certainly catch nice springs as well (Malcolm Island one such place around Mitchell Bay - very little current, and great shallow fishing along the kelp beds). You only need 20 feet or so. Have caught a 22 lb with a 2 lb on 30 pulls in that area. Pinks are a walk in the park and we would outfish downriggers when they are running.

Most of the heavier fished areas I imagine are much tougher to get anything because of required depth and stronger currents.

Hopefully, that provides some insight for you.

Maybe we are too busy scratching out heads wondering why it has to be an 8 ounce weight max and no flasher! Some strange zone with severe restrictions (only place I ever heard of was around Campbell River, but that's a 6oz max). Also doesn't help that probably 90% of fishers from a boat use a downrigger.

Personally, when I have gone w/o downrigger, I use typically 16 oz/w flasher, and stick to coyotes or kripple K's, and hootchies - pink squirts great for pinks - mostly personal preference as I never got into using plugs. You'll also find if you get into 16 oz slips or 2 lb weights, you can certainly catch nice springs as well (Malcolm Island one such place around Mitchell Bay - very little current, and great shallow fishing along the kelp beds). You only need 20 feet or so. Have caught a 22 lb with a 2 lb on 30 pulls in that area. Pinks are a walk in the park and we would outfish downriggers when they are running.

Most of the heavier fished areas I imagine are much tougher to get anything because of required depth and stronger currents.

Hopefully, that provides some insight for you.

personally if i didnt have downriggers i either be mooching or jigging because trolling with a big ugly weight is a real pain...

personally if i didnt have downriggers i either be mooching or jigging because trolling with a big ugly weight is a real pain...

for silvers i did well using 4-6 ounces of lead, 6-8 ft. leader about 30 pulls small spoons or an apex.good luck

thanks the runt

for silvers i did well using 4-6 ounces of lead, 6-8 ft. leader about 30 pulls small spoons or an apex.good luck

thanks the runt

Thanks</u> for the input so far-I'll explain a little more.
Maximum 8 oz. because that's all the rod will take.
No Flasher because 8 oz. plus Flasher is too much drag to paddle with from a Kayak-for very long anyway-in any case Plugs aren't fished with Flashers anyway.
Note these people are tripping off WCVI/circumnavigating Aristazabal Island and the like.
They can't have a lot of extra gear-just the bare minimum to catch a Salmon for dinner once in a while
So-Plug or Spoon?

Thanks</u> for the input so far-I'll explain a little more.
Maximum 8 oz. because that's all the rod will take.
No Flasher because 8 oz. plus Flasher is too much drag to paddle with from a Kayak-for very long anyway-in any case Plugs aren't fished with Flashers anyway.
Note these people are tripping off WCVI/circumnavigating Aristazabal Island and the like.
They can't have a lot of extra gear-just the bare minimum to catch a Salmon for dinner once in a while
So-Plug or Spoon?

Hotspot and ProTroll have just come out with mini flashers (6 inch that may be do the trick with short leadered spoons.
Otherwise I'd go with just a spoon or even an Apex (with or without the small flasher)
I've used the Apex in Army Truck with good success and this year you can also get it in Watermellon with Seeds as a colour....should be hot...
Given that you're paddleing, you should be able to get great action with two strokes and then a rest to settle the gear..
Try contacting some of those that participated in the Moucha Bay/Tahsis Kayak tourney last year.

boc

Hotspot and ProTroll have just come out with mini flashers (6 inch that may be do the trick with short leadered spoons.
Otherwise I'd go with just a spoon or even an Apex (with or without the small flasher)
I've used the Apex in Army Truck with good success and this year you can also get it in Watermellon with Seeds as a colour....should be hot...
Given that you're paddleing, you should be able to get great action with two strokes and then a rest to settle the gear..
Try contacting some of those that participated in the Moucha Bay/Tahsis Kayak tourney last year.

boc

I'd suggest coyote or similiar spoons (Dymara, Gibbs, etc etc) in patterns to match both immature and mature herring, as well as pilchards for the WCVI. Had loads of success with these right there. Reason for the suggestion, these spoons are not all that fussy about what speed you drag them at. They'll still flutter enticingly whether you're really moving, or down to a crawl, and speed shifts often draw mean strikes. Plugs are effective, but generally require a noticeably faster troll rate in order to be most effective. Might be a tad hard on the old arms to paddle at 3 knots plus the whole time you're fishing! And another point, cohos will take spoons much more readily than they do plugs, again, in general.

Cheers & Good Luck!
Nog

I'd suggest coyote or similiar spoons (Dymara, Gibbs, etc etc) in patterns to match both immature and mature herring, as well as pilchards for the WCVI. Had loads of success with these right there. Reason for the suggestion, these spoons are not all that fussy about what speed you drag them at. They'll still flutter enticingly whether you're really moving, or down to a crawl, and speed shifts often draw mean strikes. Plugs are effective, but generally require a noticeably faster troll rate in order to be most effective. Might be a tad hard on the old arms to paddle at 3 knots plus the whole time you're fishing! And another point, cohos will take spoons much more readily than they do plugs, again, in general.

Cheers & Good Luck!
Nog

Last summer fishing out of Neah Bay, I used an 8 ounce weight with a whole herring. I fished this off a 12 - 25# rated Convergance with a Shimano 4000 loaded with 65# Spiderwire. I would run enough line out to tap the bottom and then bring it up a crank or ten. I caught just about 1 of everything! Chinook, Yellow Eye, True Cod, Copper Rockfish, Dogfish ...

It's good to have friends.
It's better to have friends with boats.

Last summer fishing out of Neah Bay, I used an 8 ounce weight with a whole herring. I fished this off a 12 - 25# rated Convergance with a Shimano 4000 loaded with 65# Spiderwire. I would run enough line out to tap the bottom and then bring it up a crank or ten. I caught just about 1 of everything! Chinook, Yellow Eye, True Cod, Copper Rockfish, Dogfish ...

It's good to have friends.
It's better to have friends with boats.

4 or 5 inch cop car,army or blue and silver, 30 pulls out with 4oz weight

4 or 5 inch cop car,army or blue and silver, 30 pulls out with 4oz weight

By all means the coyote spoons,but they gotta take a 7 inch tomic (maybe a tubby tee)for the lings

Back