Trolling tides

• Thread starter Thread starter Pajan
  • Start date Start date
New to this site. I wanted information regarding how and when to troll for salmon in respect to tidal changes. When is it usually best: Incoming, high, outgoing or low. I'll be fishing near Langara in the Charlottes. All replies appreciated. Thanx.

I often wonder exactly what people mean when they refer to a tide change. Is it when you look at a tide table and see when it is low tide and high tide OR is it when you look at a "current" table and see that it is a "slack" tide before the ebb or flood.

slack current, and if you are going to Langara, fish as much as possible, tides be dammed! Good luck !

Give us a report when you get back !

JD

Tides are a good guide line for when the bite may occur. However, it can happen at any time so you might as well have the lines in the water.

In your case, knowing which way the tide is running will actually be more helpful in deciding where to find the fish.

quote:Originally posted by Pajan

New to this site. I wanted information regarding how and when to troll for salmon in respect to tidal changes. When is it usually best: Incoming, high, outgoing or low. I'll be fishing near Langara in the Charlottes. All replies appreciated. Thanx.

Never mind the blasted tide changes up there. Find the bait. Find the fish. Follow the guide boats and watch intently.

I know that area like the back of my hand, and I'll tell you, from fishing reports.....fish as much as possible...and be ON THE WATER from 1.5 hours before to 1.5 hours after. Certain areas are better than others dependent on the tides. I've some tried 'n true faves and based on certain inputs..there are some better locations to fish based on tides. My logs indicate a correlation between certain tides and fish in certain areas.

Your BEST bet will be to follow and fish around the guide boats. They'll know what's going on.

Having worked that area for many years as a guide..that's the BEST information you'll get.

quote:Originally posted by tomictime

slack current, and if you are going to Langara, fish as much as possible, tides be dammed! Good luck !

Give us a report when you get back !

JD
Actually I'll be at Pergrine Lodge in Naden hrbr, end of August.

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Never mind the blasted tide changes up there. Find the bait. Find the fish. Follow the guide boats and watch intently.

I know that area like the back of my hand, and I'll tell you, from fishing reports.....fish as much as possible...and be ON THE WATER from 1.5 hours before to 1.5 hours after. Certain areas are better than others dependent on the tides. I've some tried 'n true faves and based on certain inputs..there are some better locations to fish based on tides. My logs indicate a correlation between certain tides and fish in certain areas.

Your BEST bet will be to follow and fish around the guide boats. They'll know what's going on.

Having worked that area for many years as a guide..that's the BEST information you'll get.

Mucho Gracias to all. I'll be in a guided boat but just wanted a handle on how things SHOULD be done. I was there in 2004 and it was GREAT. By the time I get back posting will probably be too late but will do so anyway.

Tight lines everyone.

Just got back from 4 days fishing out of Peregrine Lodge, on Naden Harbour. Things were a bit slow but my son and I limited out with 8 Chinook(Springs) between 26 and 44 lbs, 8 Coho 'tween 9 and 16 lbs., and 6 Halibut, smaller ones but fine by me after cranking 'em up from 300 feet. They were 18 to 39 lbs.

One guy released a 47, a 49 and a 52 lb Spring.

Another chappy landed a 66 lb halibut he hooked on a cut-plug while trolling 28-feet down.

We must have hooked and released more than 50 Pinks.

We paid little or no attention to tides and the action was fairly steady all day long.

Weather was mostly overcast but no rain and mostly flat calm seas.

Back